Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
US woman gets 20 years for firing warning shot... (Read 343 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
US woman gets 20 years for firing warning shot...
07/14/13 at 15:21:14

http://www.presstv.ir/usdetail/313726.html
Marissa Alexander had never been arrested before she fired a bullet at a wall one day in 2010 to scare off her husband when she felt he was threatening her. Nobody got hurt, but this month a northeast Florida judge was bound by state law to sentence her to 20 years in prison.

Alexander, a 31-year-old mother of a toddler and 11-year-old twins, knew it was coming. She had claimed self-defense, tried to invoke Florida's "stand your ground" law and rejected plea deals that could have gotten her a much shorter sentence. A jury found her guilty as charged: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Because she fired a gun while committing a felony, Florida's mandatory-minimum gun law dictated the 20-year sentence.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: US woman gets 20 years for firing warning shot
Reply #1 - 07/14/13 at 15:30:36

Stand Your Ground law didn't work this time and this lady should be set free. She must have had a terrible attorney and jury. I think Florida sux.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #2 - 07/15/13 at 00:14:59

Joe Biden's brilliant advice didn't pan out???

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/15/13 at 06:28:55

Ooo the florida stand tyour ground law only applies when you "stand your ground" over the other guy's dead boby ... if you stand your ground and the other guy is stil lstanding, it means you go to jail.

SC has that same deal too. A guy broke into anothetr guy's house ... whenthat guy shot him, the intruder shot that guy, and claimed "stand your ground" defence.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 07/15/13 at 07:31:47

Did the burglar win his case?

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 07/15/13 at 09:39:32

There's several states that have Stand Your Ground Law but Florida is the one you always hear about. Florida has no consistency in the courtroom and that poor lady should be set free. If she would have shot and killed her crazy husband she would be a free woman. Firing a warning shot and getting 20 years, only in Florida. Florida Sux!!!!!

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 07/15/13 at 09:51:55

Midnightrider wrote on 07/15/13 at 09:39:32:
There's several states that have Stand Your Ground Law but Florida is the one you always hear about. Florida has no consistency in the courtroom and that poor lady should be set free. If she would have shot and killed her crazy husband she would be a free woman. Firing a warning shot and getting 20 years, only in Florida. Florida Sux!!!!!

South carolina is far worse IMHO. That's where the burglar case is on.
I dunno, we will know sometime - or not.
Florida is also crazy, that guy who shot a guy @ a gas station also was in Florida.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 07/15/13 at 12:53:34

She was stupid to turn down the deal she was offered for a lighter sentence.  Like it or not, the law is the law and the judge and jury have to follow it.
Shooting a "warning shot" thru a wall at someone is no small matter.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/15/13 at 13:04:31

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 07/15/13 at 12:53:34:
She was stupid to turn down the deal she was offered for a lighter sentence.  Like it or not, the law is the law and the judge and jury have to follow it.
Shooting a "warning shot" thru a wall at someone is no small matter.

WTF ... you're the resident "guns is there for my protection" and "armed society is polite society" and you say this ... sorry dont mean to sound like a d!ck ... but I think you've been taken over by some librull ghost and you need to have an exorcism ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 07/15/13 at 13:08:32

You've got my confused with someone else.
First rule of firing a gun if self defense - there are no warning shots - if you fire the weapon, mean to kill someone with it, or don't fire it all at.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #10 - 07/15/13 at 13:11:32

Wherelse but Florida could you get 20 years for a warning shot and walk free if you kill the crzay bastard. I disagree with the law but there' nothing I can do about it.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #11 - 07/15/13 at 13:47:42

"The law is the law and the judge and jury have to follow it.
Shooting a "warning shot" thru a wall at someone is no small matter".JE

Oh so correct...no small matter that, very BIG matter indeed.

However, killing an unarmed kid walking home from the store minding his own business...well now THAT is a very small matter. I'm so very sorry that poor Zimmy was inconvenienced by such a trite, small, and overblown matter.

What THIS means is that I can pick a fight with anyone I want, and if they defend themselves, I can shoot them in the heart.

Hmm, A warnning shot however is only legal if it's fired say, through the forehead.

My last shred of respect for the law is all-but-gone.    

I sincerely hope that someday we can rectify such wrongs.    

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Ryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Meade, MD
Reply #12 - 07/15/13 at 14:03:32

Before you shed tears for this girl, read the story and read the stand your ground law.  She was the aggressor.  She was not defending herself.  She had a chance to leave.  She went out to the car, got the gun and went back into the house.  Stand your ground does not apply here.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 07/15/13 at 14:05:57

But didn't Zimmerman also get his gun from the car ?

The difference is, he didn't miss, but she did ... you've heard the saying right, "Gun control is being able to hit yoru target", so he excercised gun control, and she did not.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 07/15/13 at 14:07:54

Star -
I've given up worrying about such things.  For me and mine, we don't get in fights with anyone, let alone on rainy nights in gated communities in the wee hours of the morning.
Just think what life would be like if we all just behaved normally.  Home in bed where we belong at such hours, not tailing others, nor putting ourselves in a position to get tailed - rather, just being normal.
When we step outside normal bounds, bad things can happen - not saying they are right or wrong, just making what to me is a very common sense observation.
I recall when my daughter was 16 and learning to drive - I told her that any time she gets arrested, put her hands behind her back to get cuffed, be polite, and we'd work it out in a courtroom, not on the street or in the police station.  There is a time and a place for everything.
Unfortunately, young Mr. Martin was never taught that, and Zimmerman may have been a bit over anxious.
If Martin was right, this is a case of being "dead right".  Far better that young people learn to not get themselves in that position, nor anyone else, for that matter.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 07:41:22

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › US woman gets 20 years for firing warning shot...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.