Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on pops, backfires during decel (Read 389 times)
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Thoughts on pops, backfires during decel
07/10/13 at 14:25:41

I have a lot of pops, poofs and farts on decell and between gear changes. Nothing real loud but aggravating.

I am running a 52.5 pilot, a 150 main and the needle is raised .030. The fuel screw is turned out 2-3/4 turns from closed.

I have a Harley dyna muffler and thats when it got bad. There are no leaks. I had none of this with the stock muffler. Well none that I could hear.

I can get it to stop by using a 55 pilot with the fuel screw turned out 3 turns. Not good as that makes the idle circuit too rich all the time but the pops are all but gone. It runs good with the 52.5 or the 55. Both have good performance. I had rather stay with the 52.5.

I read about cutting the spring on the TEV but don't see this as a solution. There only needs to be extra fuel on decell at high engine vacuum. With a weak spring fuel will come in sooner and be too rich when you don't need it. Huh

There needs to be a way to slightly increase the fuel flow through the TEV only during decel at high engine vacuum . Thats when the idle circuit goes really lean and needs a shot of fuel.

What say you learned people as well as shade trees. Is there a way to increase the fuel delivered through the TEV and keep the stock spring so you only get it on decell at the highest engine vacuum. Cool

Or do you have other solutions I havn't heard about. Huh

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Thoughts on pops, backfires during decel
Reply #1 - 07/10/13 at 15:30:12

I run a basically open exhaust, 155 main, 55 pilot, about 2.5 turns out past factory on the air screw. No decel or shut down noises unless I force the issue. Which I do, kinda like the noise from time to time.

Standard running doesn't seem any worse than a stock piped Dyna with the idle speed correctly set.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/10/13 at 15:34:14

you can eliminate the shift change noise by throttle & foot control, dont slap it shut & get on with swappin cogs,, piddle fart around & its liable to growl some.

on decel, if mine didnt rumble & growl, id rejet till it did..runnin down thru th gears, lissnin to it rumble? dude!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 07/10/13 at 17:59:19

Quote:
I have a lot of pops, poofs and farts on decell and between gear changes. Nothing real loud but aggravating.

Quote:
Or do you have other solutions I havn't heard about.

I wear ear plugs most of the time. Smiley Saves a lot of dickin' around with the carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/10/13 at 18:42:40

oldNslow wrote on 07/10/13 at 17:59:19:
Quote:

Quote:
Or do you have other solutions I havn't heard about.

I wear ear plugs most of the time. Smiley Saves a lot of dickin' around with the carb.

7 answering annoying questions

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/10/13 at 18:44:42

When I had the O2 sensor on my bike.....I learned a lot.  Anytime you close the throttle completely while the engine is slowing down, the engine goes lean as the fuel orifices all get closed - except the idle circuit which cannot provide enough fuel.  The O2 sensor showed the TEV valve has little effect.  Even jetting richer has very little effect as it is still that tiny little idle orifice that is providing fuel when the throttle is closed.

You can reduce a lot of the noise by keeping the throttle just slightly open between shifts, and while slowing down.  Don't keep the throttle open too far.....just enough to keep things calm.  Roll the throttle off slowly while changing gears when accelerating and clutch and shift at a pace that is just a bit quicker and see how that works for you.

If you learn to use the throttle in a way that avoids the throttle being completely closed except when idling at a stop.....you can keep the bike from backfiring or popping most of the time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 07/10/13 at 18:51:03

I guess what I was looking for was how the TEV works, how it supplies the extra fuel on decel and how to modify it.

I know how to ride to keep the pops to a minimum. But even doing that there are still too many.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/10/13 at 18:51:49

you are ever so much more diplomatic than i, good sir..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/11/13 at 04:57:41

apache snow-FSO wrote on 07/10/13 at 18:51:03:
I guess what I was looking for was how the TEV works, how it supplies the extra fuel on decel and how to modify it.

My experience with the O2 sensor and stock carb shows that the TEV is not effective in reducing the lean condition that results when the throttle is closed while the engine rpm's are above idle.....as occurs when shifting gears or coasting/decelerating.

I don't know if the TEV is overly restricted in an effort to reduce emmissions, and if allowing it to work sooner will be beneficial.  To date a few have tried modifying the spings......but I am not aware of anyone trying to change the jetting of the TEV to allow more fuel flow.

One fellow claimed to have success by using a spring from an automotive carb accelerator pump to replace the stock TEV spring.

You might be blazing a new trail if you want to explore fuel flow rather than how soon the TEV kicks in.  I don't know if the problem is the TEV not coming on soon enough.....or not providing enough fuel.  

Here are links to what has been done so far:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1342323516

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268545171

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1318209614/0#0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 07/11/13 at 05:59:59

Thanks, I've read all of those threads. I could be wrong but I don't believe the TEV coming on sooner is the answer. I do believe it was never set up rich enough to be effective.

You only need the extra shot of fuel on decel under high vacuum. There is just not enough fuel supplied to get rid of the very lean condition at that time.

I spent a little time last night searching the web on TEV operation. I didn't find anything useful. I did find something on TEV calibration but there were no details listed.It seems no one has persued this avenue. Huh

I have not given up. I will keep searching till I find something. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/11/13 at 06:02:30

What If the Hokey Pokey Really Is What It's All About?

ive wondered that very thing for years

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #11 - 07/11/13 at 06:52:07

Most of this is above my head.. though I do wonder about it. Like others I can certainly see the trends: I know if I run say 50 mph for several minutes then shut off the throttle.. I get a report. ( actually that's not accurate.. I have to "load up the exhaust" that is ride in such a way as to go fast.. go slow.. go fast.. go slow. then heat up the exhaust, then shut down the throttle)

But instead of linking the lean fuel at high vacuum... I more look at it as high exhaust temps, with unburnt fuel, do that with a low air volume and presto a report. What does adding fuel do? I can only assume it cools the charge in the exhaust thus preventing the report. Seems like an expensive coolant.

I don't think I am smart enough to come up with a solution, but if I did I just don't think it would be to increase fuel charge so it acts as a coolant.
Cool the exhaust
Cool the exhaust charge
burn, dispose, render un burnable... the fuel laden charge that is burning
remove "embers" that ignite the charge
disallow the low pressure in the exhaust that draws o2 from the exhaust tip and feeds the report

anyway my humble and unlearned thoughts...

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 07/11/13 at 06:59:06

When the bike goes lean you get imcomplete combustion so some of the fuel gets in the exhaust. If the mixture was richer you would get a more complete burn and less fuel in the exhaust. Thats my understanding anyway. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/11/13 at 07:21:09

idk what youre looking for, really, if its the volume or just the fact that its grumbling,, rumbling & growling,, i know i just love the sound of an engine in decel with the exhaust growling. not a series of 22, 45 & shotgun type reports, but just a rumbling growling sound.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/11/13 at 07:24:57

I know you said there were no exhaust leaks but have you checked the exhaust header bolts? They have a tendency to loosen over time. Did you loosen or remove them when you installed the Dyna? Replace the header gasket?

Just a thought

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:21:28