Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on pops, backfires during decel (Read 389 times)
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Thoughts on pops, backfires during decel
Reply #15 - 07/11/13 at 07:28:38

Yes all bolts are tight. A new gasket was installed at the head. There are no carbon tracts at any junction and have checked all junctions with a flame. I can detect no leaks. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 07/11/13 at 07:31:51

apache snow-FSO wrote on 07/11/13 at 06:59:06:
When the bike goes lean you get imcomplete combustion so some of the fuel gets in the exhaust. If the mixture was richer you would get a more complete burn and less fuel in the exhaust. Thats my understanding anyway. Smiley

Apache....I believe you are correct.

The O2 I had installed was an eye opener for me.  I had always assumed that when you closed the throttle and the slide or butterfly was closed  the high vacuum would pull lots of fuel and make the mixture rich - What I failed to understand was that the high vacuum is on the engine side of the slide or butterfly and the high vacuum does not reach the places where fuel flows (except for the idle circuit).  What I found with the O2 sensor is that the exhaust shows a lean fuel condition when the throttle is closed.  I believe at these lean conditions there is not an adequate amount of fuel or compression to allow the spark plug to ignite the mixture and the lean fuel/air mixture flows unburned out into the header pipe where it can be ignited either by the hot exhaust of by a flame that comes from the cylinder the next time the fuel/air mixture is ignited by the spark plug.  For those times where the fuel/air mixture is just on the border of being ignited by the spark plug.....that is when you get the quick burbling type noises that aren't very loud.  The big bangs occur when the mixture is not fired in the cylinder and builds up in the exhaust.....and when it does ignite there is a considerable amount of fuel and air that is ignited.

The TEV valve is supposed to allow a larger amount of fuel to flow when you shut off the throttle.  This may be a long shot....but I wonder if the use of gasoline with no ethanol would make a difference?  The jets in the TEV may be set up for gasoline that is not mixed with ethanol (1986 was the first years of the Savage).....and either increasing the TEV fuel jet or running pure gasoline could help?  Using the DYNA muffler instead of the stock exhaust combined with the ethanol may have just tipped the balance a little more and made the mixture too lean during deceleration. 

ADDENDUM:  There is a trend on this site to increase the pilot jet size to cut down the backfiring.  I believe that this does help as it allows more fuel to flow through the ilde circuit and provide more fuel to flow when the throttle is closed.  The probem I have with this is that it makes the engine too rich during normal operation at low throttle settings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 07/11/13 at 07:39:15

I don't know if no ethanol fuel would help but you don't know what you look like till you have had your picture taken so I may try a tank full of pure gas next. Can't hurt. Cool

The only thing I have found so far is there is a small vacuum passage that supplies vacuum to the TEV diaphragm. That pulls the diaphragm out uncovering a passage to the pilot circuit that allows more fuel during decel. Not sure it can be modified. Huh

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
mechanikhan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/17/13 at 18:23:48

I got rid of 95% of the backfiring by changing the spring in the TEV to a shorter spring. The length of the stock spring has two negative effects on the valve's operation.  
Having measured the pocket that the spring resides in, I came to the following conclusions:
1. There was not much room for the diaphram to move or open during the high vacuum present at full throttle, thus limiting the enriching effect the valve is supposed to provide.
2. The stock spring was stronger than necessary and was closing the valve too abruptly during the low vacuum present at deceleration, thus the backfire.

Instead of cutting the stock spring, I chose to find a shorter one. I'm satisfied with the first spring I chose, a #90 spring I bought at Ace Hardware. Listed below are the dimensions of both springs:

Stock         #90
Free length      1.400 in.         0.715 in.
Wire Diameter      0.032 in.         0.035 in.
Outside Diameter       0.483 in.         0.597 in.

My bike is a 2002 model with just under 4000 miles. I installed the #90 spring at around 2800 miles. The bike is stock with one exception: a previous owner drilled out the baffle. The bike is much more pleasant to ride, and I would recommend this modification before I changed anything else.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 07/17/13 at 18:41:25

Thanks for your post. I had thought about the spring being too long as to not allow the valve to open as much as it needs to. I had wrote down the stock springs dimensions and was going to Ace to look for another one. I guess I need to get my butt over there tomorrow and look for one and experiment some more. Now I have the size for the spring to look for. Smiley

I will say the 55 pilot will make the pops go away but the bike runs smoother and better with a 52.5 pilot.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 07/17/13 at 18:55:01

Anyone thinking of this mod should exercise caution.
I think you've done it the right way by swapping out the spring.
several had tried to mod the spring only to find out it didn't work for them.

WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T MOD THE STOCK SPRING

and 1st try to clean the carb and the TEV valve in particular before trying any mod.

WWW   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 07/17/13 at 19:11:10

Thanks for the warning, but I wouldn't screw up my stock spring.  Wink

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #22 - 07/17/13 at 19:35:12

I like the pops. I miss them when I ride other motorcycles.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 07/17/13 at 19:48:05

apache snow-FSO wrote on 07/17/13 at 19:11:10:
Thanks for the warning, but I wouldn't screw up my stock spring.  Wink

even when it appears someone is listening to your advice, they are not.

WWW   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #24 - 07/18/13 at 08:08:50

Well I tried the shorter #90 spring from Ace this morning. It does help the pops a little but no more than a 55 pilot and it seems to make the idle a tad rich, just like the 55 pilot. So now I am back to the stock spring. The idle and cruise are the smoothest with a 52.5 pilot and a stock TEV spring but I do get a few pops.

This experiment only cost 40 cents to try.

Unless I discover some other magical cure I am living with it for now. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #25 - 07/18/13 at 13:08:22

There's also the other TEV mod - something about adding a spacer?

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 07/18/13 at 13:14:20

Why would I want to make it leaner on decel than it already is. Huh

I believe that mod was for bikes that were dying when coming to a stop from a too rich condition.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 07/18/13 at 13:45:17

I have read that the TEV doesn't technically add fuel, but instead decrease air flow into the pilot circuit to enrichen the mixture. This was on an Intruder forum. I'm not sure if the Savage TEV works this way. Any one have a clue. Huh

I did find this.

TRANSIENT ENRICHMENT SYSTEM
This transient enrichment system is a device which keeps fuel/air mixture ratio constant in order not to generate unstable combustion when the throttle grip is returned suddenly during high speed driving. For normal operation, joining of the air from upper part of carburetor inlet side to pilot air passage obtains proper fuel/air mixture ratio. But if the throttle valve is suddenly closed, a large negative pressure generated on cylinder side is applied to a diaphragm. The valve @ which interlocks with the diaphragm closes an
air passage, thus, the pressure flows out to the pilot air passage.
This is system to keep the combustion condition constant by varying the fuel/air mixture ratio by controlling air flow in the pilot circuit.

I'm trying to find out what part the pilot air jet playes in this.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 07/18/13 at 16:20:53

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home