Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Exhaust baffles (Read 383 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust baffles
07/09/13 at 03:20:11

Ok so here in NZ we don't have heaps of cheap dyna mufflers, and it's not really the look I want anyway.

I want the straight drag pipe look with a slash cut end.

I've got a 16" BSA slash cut muffler to go on the end, but the baffles aren't there. Usually there would be some sort of fibreglass baffle inside secured with a bolt but it's missing.

I don't actually know how to repack the baffle, or how I should go about adding a baffle to achieve the right amount of back pressure the savage needs.

I've read the BCB drag pipe just uses a few discs with holes drilled in. I'd love to know more about this in detail as it sounds pretty easy to add that in. Or if someone can explain how best to repack this little muffler that would be good.

cheers Cheesy

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Exhaust baffles
Reply #1 - 07/09/13 at 06:16:42

savagebob wrote on 07/09/13 at 03:20:11:
Ok so here in NZ we don't have heaps of cheap dyna mufflers, and it's not really the look I want anyway.

I want the straight drag pipe look with a slash cut end.

I've got a 16" BSA slash cut muffler to go on the end, but the baffles aren't there. Usually there would be some sort of fibreglass baffle inside secured with a bolt but it's missing.

I don't actually know how to repack the baffle, or how I should go about adding a baffle to achieve the right amount of back pressure the savage needs.

I've read the BCB drag pipe just uses a few discs with holes drilled in. I'd love to know more about this in detail as it sounds pretty easy to add that in. Or if someone can explain how best to repack this little muffler that would be good.

cheers Cheesy

With a 650cc single cylinder motor (large separate exhaust pulses) anything you try with fiberglass packing will be ineffective after a hundred miles or so.  Use some solution that has baffles with no packing.

Here's one suggestion.  See reply #277 in the Double RYCA Build thread.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/270

This pic shows the exhaust flow once the packing (a joke) is removed with two baffles and a sink strainer added.  The stuff I added is shown in blue.

This shows the internal baffle (dished washer with added holes) welded in, the external baffle welded on, and the sink strainer welded on the end.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/09/13 at 06:24:58

I built a muffler that uses a megaphone and some perforated pipe.  The system requires the exhaust to flow in and out of the perforated pipe 4 times, and the megaphone area acts as a chamber to even out the pulses.  Bigger chambers would probably be better - but it does a good job and is louder than the DYNA muffler conversion but not as loud as a SuperTrapp.

If you are running a straight pipe it will be tough to cut the noise down much - the best you could do is install a perforated baffle that restricts the flow some and uses the header pipe to even out the pules a bit.

IMG_0874.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/09/13 at 06:44:05

With a straight pipe, the best you can do is install a perforated baffle that slides inside the pipe. It is going to be loud and make babies cry....and you won't be popular with the neighbors.

Not sure what is available in your area, but most aftermarket companies offer some sort of baffle like the ones shown below.  You slide them inside your pipe and drill a hole and insert a bolt to hold them in place:

0000_Samson_2x10_Baffle_for_2-1_4_Pipe_--.jpg

IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/09/13 at 07:08:03

I don't like the looks of aftermarket pipes - prefer the stock look - someone put a lot of time and effort designing them to fit the lines of the bike - so is there something that can be done to improve the stock pipes - which sound like crap to me?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/09/13 at 07:26:22

dan49829 wrote on 07/09/13 at 07:08:03:
I don't like the looks of aftermarket pipes - prefer the stock look - someone put a lot of time and effort designing them to fit the lines of the bike - so is there something that can be done to improve the stock pipes - which sound like crap to me?

Look in the Technical Section, do a search, or look in this thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1316137961

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 07/09/13 at 08:32:30

Here's a thought, since you like the straight, fat, drag-pipe look:

Make the thing as long as you want.  If you want it sticking out past the end of the motorcycle, you can do that easy.  Three or four feet long, maybe.  Two feet long would be pretty noisy.

It'll be cheap.  All you'll need is a length of 2 1/8" pipe, a length of 1 1/2" pipe, a 3/16" drill, some scrap, a hacksaw, and access to a welder.  Shoot,.. you could buy ALL the parts AND a wire-feed welder on sale at Harbor Freight for what a four-foot-long fat-looking drag-pipe would cost!

You'll also need a couple clamps and some bracketry of some sort to fasten the aft end to the bike.

After you make one or two of these, you could probably crank one out in a couple hours (not counting the time to drill and bend the zillion holes).  Make a few, sell 'em, and get all your money back.

If you want it chromed, that'll set you back a few bucks.  You could wrap it in a header-sweater or paint the thing with high-heat paint.  Some of those paints work really well,... most don't.

« Last Edit: 07/09/13 at 11:51:49 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/09/13 at 14:18:40

thanks for all the detailed responses. Apparently the BCB drag pipe (which sounds pretty good to me) just had 4 discs welded inside with some holes.

that would be so easy to do. Can anyone confirm that?

This is the slash cut end I've got which the baffle is missing. I'll just use one of them, or maybe cut and weld them together onto a bit of extension off the header for the drag pipe look.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 07/09/13 at 18:39:14

savagebob wrote on 07/09/13 at 14:18:40:
thanks for all the detailed responses. Apparently the BCB drag pipe (which sounds pretty good to me) just had 4 discs welded inside with some holes.

that would be so easy to do. Can anyone confirm that?

This is the slash cut end I've got which the baffle is missing. I'll just use one of them, or maybe cut and weld them together onto a bit of extension off the header for the drag pipe look.

Neither one of those alleged mufflers will make any difference sound wise unless you choke them off so much the back pressure will make the bike feel like a 350.

It's just plain physics.  You have to have some volume somewhere to attenuate the sound pulses.  Those little chromed bits have no volume.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/09/13 at 18:51:12

how does the BCB pipe work then?

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 07/09/13 at 20:43:09

Those chrome shorties will work like a megaphone with the large outlet.  The BCB pipe has round plates with @5/16" holes welded in about 4" from the head pipe, in such a way that the holes in the plates are offset.  The extra length and smallish diameter help with velocity/evacuation of gasses.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/09/13 at 21:10:29

ok that's what I wanted to know.. how many plates are there? Do you know how many holes in each plate?  Are they sort of like the sink strainer holes in the end of the std pipe?

I was thinking of making something like this:

IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #12 - 07/10/13 at 01:11:10

I have the bcb muffler and the plates have four holes. Here's a pic, don't know if you'll be able to see it as muffler is on bike so had to take pic from other end.

Can anyone tell me what kind of impact removing one of the plates would have on noise and backpressure?

image_088.jpg
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/10/13 at 03:41:37

wow.. only 4 little holes.

How many plates are there and how close are they together?

Also, what dia is the drag pipe?

« Last Edit: 07/10/13 at 18:58:15 by savagebob »  
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #14 - 07/10/13 at 18:45:47

I've emailed bcb and asked those questions as I needed some info from them anyway, ill post here when they reply.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:32:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust baffles

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.