Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S40/LS650 for a taller rider (Read 484 times)
NormH3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Delaware
S40/LS650 for a taller rider
07/07/13 at 06:21:32

I'm currently looking at 3 different bikes as a beginner. S40/LS650, Rebel and Shadow 600 VLX. All seem are light cruisers and fairly easy to control..as far as I read. I have a 34" inseam and was wondering if the Suzuki is a comfortable ride for someone with longer legs. I have yet to sit on one, but am more curious how it might feel on a 100 mile ride. I know there are extensions available, but curious about a stock situation. I'm 56 years old and am not planning on buying something new every couple years. Whatever I get now, could be it!

(yes..I am signed up for the MSF course). I know this is a Savage forum, but appreciate any incite.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: S40/LS650 for a taller rider
Reply #1 - 07/07/13 at 06:52:08

I don't know anything about the Shadow, but I thought I wanted the Rebel until I sat on one. I have a 30" inseam and those pegs were way too close. I was cramped just sitting in the parking lot. I can't imagine a trip anywhere.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/07/13 at 07:00:09

http://cycle-ergo.com/
Try this site.
I have a 32" inseam and the stock pedal positioning was fine, except my arthritis made it difficult to get my feet on the pegs, so I put forward controls on it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
NormH3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Delaware
Reply #3 - 07/07/13 at 07:13:27

arteacher wrote on 07/07/13 at 07:00:09:
Try this site.
I have a 32" inseam and the stock pedal positioning was fine, except my arthritis made it difficult to get my feet on the pegs, so I put forward controls on it.

Interesting website. I wonder how accurate it is. I guess nothing replaces sitting on the real thing.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 07/07/13 at 07:26:56

Norm I'm 58, weigh around 160# with a 32" inseam and after 2 years with the Savage I've been fine for rides 100 miles or less. That works out good because the fuel tank is ready for a gas stop at that point!

I did do the seat modification,raising the front seat mount 1" and that helped a lot. I'm thinking about raising it another 1/2 inch for a skosh more legroom.

Unless you are planning on nothing but "in-town" riding,I'd pass on the Rebel. It's just too small and underpowered for highway runs and not that much lighter than the savage. The VLX600 would be ok but the Savage is more nimble and will leave the VLX eating dust.

Just my $0.02 worth........that and $1.00 gets you a small coffee at McD's  Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/07/13 at 07:35:20

Norm,
Welcome to the forum and good luck in the msf course and selecting a bike. I might suggest you complete the course before buying a bike. You might decide riding is not for you. Also, most msf facilities will have both 125cc and 250cc bikes. I believe the Rebel is a 250 so that may give you a feel for the power and performance of the smaller displacement ride.

I started last year at 62 and the S40 was my first bike. I am 6'2" and found Routy's forward controls a necessary addition. I actually took the bike on a 2,000 mile road trip last fall and was grateful for the forward controls. I do not have any experience with the Shadow but if I may, I might suggest you stay away from the Rebel. You will quickly learn to love the torque of the S40.

Good hunting and keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 07/07/13 at 07:58:40

^^^ What they said.... NO to the rebel for sure, my wife had me get one for her to learn on. If you think you are going to buy for keeps, don't get the rebel, it is to LEARN on for a taller person.
I'm 54 and have a 30 inch inseam and am considering getting forward controls for the savage i'm going to get for me, i'm riding the wifes now and can ride it for distances not too uncomfortably. However when I get one for me I am goin to have forward controls on it, also a different seat!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 07/07/13 at 09:32:31

Short answer... it will work but you will end up making a bunch of changes. 6'2" 235# with a 34" inseam.

Comfort mods: floorboards, different seat (have a cut down solo and a raised 2 up Kawasaki VN800A seat), 15" rise handlebars that need to be pushed forwards a bit more, taller rear shocks off an 800 Intruder, front fork firmed up...

I've had mine for 15 years, the bike grows on you... kind of like athlete's foot...  Wink

Still need to cut and extend the shifter and brake pedal arms to work with my floorboards, HD half moons welded to the stock peg bases and shoved all the way forward. And need to shim them so they stay square to the lower frame rails.

The VLX 600 is on my short list, I'd love to cut one up as a backroad scorcher, doing the same with an old (1963) Honda 250 Scrambler. I live on a tiny little backroad, my Savage has always had issues with the local roads since the stock suspension is a farce.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 07/07/13 at 12:47:50

arteacher wrote on 07/07/13 at 07:00:09:
Try this site.

What a great site thanks. Cool

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: S40/LS650 для выше всадника
Reply #9 - 07/08/13 at 01:28:25

I can't say how easy ride on the Rebel, but I tried to take a ride on  Steed VLX (it is called a Shadow VLX).

accommodation and comfort drive still Savage seemed to me a little better. about myself : my height is 6"and weighs about 200 pounds, length of legs-33"(so I buy jeans)

« Last Edit: 07/08/13 at 07:12:32 by wambr »  

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 07/08/13 at 06:14:14

Welcome to the site!

The Rebel, while a cool little bike, simply cant hang with .... well with anything.

I am a mere 5'7", but most of that is torso, not leg. The savage is fine for 20 minute commutes, but even at my short inseam, I generally sit all the way back on the seat, cusp of the rear sear, just to stretch out. I have not considered the forward controls, but I can see where they would work well. The Savage, is hard to beat for what it does, low speed commuter bike. On the interstate, I do not find it big enough, as our crappy roads bounce it around like a dingy in the ocean. I added a 2" riser to the handle bars, this proved a very useful mod, as I no longer had to slump over, and by angling them back I was still in a good position to them even while sitting further back on the seat (and thus further from the foot pegs).

Having owned and ridden my bike for over 5000 miles, I can say that I am sure I don't want "too" heavy of a bike. They just would not suit the bulk of my riding (commuting). Another bike I am looking at is the Triumph America, 800. Its a sub 600lb bike (while the Savage is sub 400), but even at 550lbs, its lighter than many more common bikes.

Good luck with your search.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 07/08/13 at 06:19:28

I sat on a Honda Shadow Spirit the other day. I liked it real well. Its a little bigger and heavier than the Suzuki. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
NormH3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Delaware
Reply #12 - 07/08/13 at 09:28:30

Pine wrote on 07/08/13 at 06:14:14:
Welcome to the site!

The Rebel, while a cool little bike, simply cant hang with .... well with anything.

I am a mere 5'7", but most of that is torso, not leg. The savage is fine for 20 minute commutes, but even at my short inseam, I generally sit all the way back on the seat, cusp of the rear sear, just to stretch out. I have not considered the forward controls, but I can see where they would work well. The Savage, is hard to beat for what it does, low speed commuter bike. On the interstate, I do not find it big enough, as our crappy roads bounce it around like a dingy in the ocean. I added a 2" riser to the handle bars, this proved a very useful mod, as I no longer had to slump over, and by angling them back I was still in a good position to them even while sitting further back on the seat (and thus further from the foot pegs).

Having owned and ridden my bike for over 5000 miles, I can say that I am sure I don't want "too" heavy of a bike. They just would not suit the bulk of my riding (commuting). Another bike I am looking at is the Triumph America, 800. Its a sub 600lb bike (while the Savage is sub 400), but even at 550lbs, its lighter than many more common bikes.

Good luck with your search.

I like the America as well.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #13 - 07/08/13 at 12:21:18

NormH3 wrote on 07/07/13 at 06:21:32:
... I have a 34" inseam and was wondering if the Suzuki is a comfortable ride for someone with longer legs....

What can be done:

My wife is 6'2" with a 36" inseam -- you can see that she looks comfortable on my Savage.  This was my first fit on my new springer seat:

As you can see, the seat was up and back from the stock position.   A rework put the seat to where my 5'8" 30" inseam fit.

Bottom line -- you can make the LS650 to fit.  If you want the quickness of the light weight, you are just about forced to get a Thumper.

WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #14 - 07/08/13 at 12:26:05

Paladin. wrote on 07/08/13 at 12:21:18:
NormH3 wrote on 07/07/13 at 06:21:32:
... I have a 34" inseam and was wondering if the Suzuki is a comfortable ride for someone with longer legs....

What can be done:
http://www.savageriders.com/paladin/images/springer1-Wendy.jpg
My wife is 6'2" with a 36" inseam -- you can see that she looks comfortable on my Savage.  This was my first fit on my new springer seat:
http://www.savageriders.com/paladin/images/springer13.jpg   http://www.savageriders.com/paladin/images/springer32.jpg
As you can see, the seat was up and back from the stock position.   A rework put the seat to where my 5'8" 30" inseam fit.

Bottom line -- you can make the LS650 to fit.  If you want the quickness of the light weight, you are just about forced to get a Thumper.

Is that a blue VW in the background ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 03:34:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40/LS650 for a taller rider

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.