Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
05 s40 blowing black smoke? (Read 504 times)
Kayleigh
YaBB Newbies

Ridding all day

Orange County Ca
05 s40 blowing black smoke?
07/06/13 at 18:26:46

I recently changed the oil on my bike, and put some gas in it, and it is blowing black smoke every time I start it up.

What can I do to adjust this or will it burn off on its own?

Thanks!

05 S40 Suzuki with 9k Miles
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 05 s40 blowing black smoke?
Reply #1 - 07/06/13 at 18:35:16

Wow, lots of black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, huh?   Bummer bad, that -- but likely not fatal.

Please tell us more about how you changed the oil, what brand and weight oil you used, where you put it in and how you judged you had "enough" oil in the sump and it was time to stop adding oil.

You see, we have to assume a whole lot when you don't tell us everything, and we generally always assume wrongly just because we are having to ASSume again (when we know better, by golly).

Smiley     ..... and yes, I read it and I noticed it and I let it go right on past because I am being all nice today.  

It will get clarified by the next post after all, so why even go there?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kayleigh
YaBB Newbies

Ridding all day

Orange County Ca
Reply #2 - 07/06/13 at 18:53:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/06/13 at 18:35:16:

Wow, lots of black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, huh?   Bummer bad, that -- but likely not fatal.

Please tell us more about how you changed the oil, what brand and weight oil you used, where you put it in and how you judged you had "enough" oil in the sump and it was time to stop adding oil.

You see, we have to assume a whole lot when you don't tell us everything, and we generally always assume wrongly just because we are having to ASSume again (when we know better, by golly).

Smiley     ..... and yes, I read it and I noticed it and I let it go right on past because I am being all nice today.  

I got it changed at a dealership....

They used 10w40 performance oil.

I assume that they put in through the oil cap.. where the oil is supposed to go.  I double checked the oil amount in the oil level look through and it is slightly covering the look through on the kickstand and  i can just barely see it when i have it level.

I know i was having some piston noise before I took it to the dealership.

Also according to them, the valve adjustments are good.

I am more so worried about the black smoke and the piston noise.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/06/13 at 18:57:54

Kayleigh wrote on 07/06/13 at 18:53:38:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/06/13 at 18:35:16:

They used 10w40 performance oil.

I assume that they put in through the oil cap.. where the oil is supposed to go.  I double checked the oil amount in the oil level look through and it is slightly covering the look through on the kickstand and  i can just barely see it when i have it level.

I know i was having some piston noise before I took it to the dealership.

Also according to them, the valve adjustments are good.

I am more so worried about the black smoke and the piston noise.

thats what worries me,, dont do that

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kayleigh
YaBB Newbies

Ridding all day

Orange County Ca
Reply #4 - 07/06/13 at 19:05:36

It's owned by a family friend and it was done for next to free in less time then it would take me soooo.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 07/06/13 at 19:06:11

(overcome by posting lag)

=================

Ask the nice service manager what your compression test numbers were like.  You want NUMBERS out of this, not some comment or blow off.

This will scare him, because it implies you have a knowledgeable person on board now.

If you have ring damage, this is the test they would do normally.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kayleigh
YaBB Newbies

Ridding all day

Orange County Ca
Reply #6 - 07/06/13 at 19:16:34

okay.. I will req the numbers but chances are I wont see anything till Monday as the shop is closed for the weekend now.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 07/07/13 at 03:35:21

Does the smoking stop/get less when the engine warms up good?

If so there is hope it may get better over time.

If so, run the bike through several tanks of gas and see if it improves.

Mild "sticky rings" can clear themselves up over time, but actual more severe piston / cylinder scoring type damage is there to stay.

What caused your damage?   Did you run it way low on oil for a while or what?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/07/13 at 03:51:16

Maybe I am going down the wrong line of thought......but I always felt that burning oil made bluish white smoke and burning fuel made black smoke.

Did somebody leave the choke on?  Is the original vacuum petcock acting up and bleeding fuel into the suction hose?  Is it time for her to "Check her Petcock"?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 07/07/13 at 04:38:08

Dave wrote on 07/07/13 at 03:51:16:
Maybe I am going down the wrong line of thought......but I always felt that burning oil made bluish white smoke and burning fuel made black smoke.

Did somebody leave the choke on?  Is the original vacuum petcock acting up and bleeding fuel into the suction hose?  Is it time for her to "Check her Petcock"?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

My thought as well.  Usually oil is whitish smoke with a burned oil smell,  and excess fuel (such as leaving a choke on,.. Savages don't have chokes) results in black smoke and a distinctive unburned fuel smell.

On a Savage running properly, leaving the mixture enrichment knob out (some folks call that knob a choke), will cause the motor to run a little rich at normal speeds, but not enough to make black smoke.

With the scant info supplied so far, my speculation would be there is some fuel getting into the intake tract other than the normal path through the carb.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 07/07/13 at 05:41:14

Time to pick a single path and follow it or else you risk confusing the new person too too much.

Making sure the choke button is in all the way is something they can do right away.  That is a no brainer.

Oil on the air filter paper can cause extreme richness as the stock paper filter won't pass enough air if it got oiled by accident (or on purpose by Mikey with his little spray can of K&N filter oil).

Problem is that he/she has let a dealership Mikey work on her bike and there is simply no telling what they did to it in misguided attempts to service it.

We don't even know that it was a Suzuki motorcycle dealership (not that it makes a lot of difference, really) -- all we know is it smokes black smoke now that it has been given back to him/her.

And you are right, we still don't know year model, mileage, or any of the other things that would be useful.

================

So, we are playing "Boy George in the bathroom with the toilet plunger" again .... and we know how Nurse Ratchet and Colonel Mustard both feel about 'ol floppy hat George boy a' messing about in their bathroom when nobody is about, now don't we?  

In this particular game of Clue we aren't being given any information at all so we can play.

Kayleigh, talk to us, talk to us LOTS, tell us all about your bike, tell us how old it is, how many miles, how you got it, who has worked on it, that sort of stuff.   Why is it you think you have a piston issue?   Did someone tell you that?

If you paid those people to work on your bike and they gave it back to you all screwed up like they did, then the Service Manager should make that right at NO CHARGE to you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #11 - 07/07/13 at 10:05:12

Yeah, these guys are good here. They just want all the info they can get so that huge amassed flow chart of knowledge in their heads can get to work. Each node on the chart will get you a few more questions, and a few more steps into a solution. You're in good hands here; they've seen it all! Wink

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #12 - 07/07/13 at 10:08:09

I'm with OF, Gyrobob, and Dave.  I've always been told Black smoke is fuel, bluish white is oil, and really white is water.

Check the enrichment valve(choke). Make sure it is all the way in. Do the petcock test to make sure there is not a problem there. Check the paper air filter element.  If it's covered with oil, it'll choke the engine causing black smoke.  If so, replace it after figuring out where the oil came from. If it's an oilable pod or oilable stock replacement, it could just have too much oil.

We are assuming there was no problem like this before the oil change.  Did you have them do anything else to the bike while it was there?  Are there any signs that they did anything else while it was there?

It would be helpful to know year, miles, any mods done, any problems apparent before oil change.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 07/07/13 at 10:48:00

If the dealership overfilled the oil, which by the description sounds possible, the engine could have blown oil into the air box and gotten oil onto the filter. I'd pull the plug out of the air box drain hose and if more than a small amount of oil comes out, open the air box and look. Might want to put some sort of catch pan under the hose, just in case.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Kayleigh
YaBB Newbies

Ridding all day

Orange County Ca
Reply #14 - 07/07/13 at 10:51:40

So I checked all the valves and my "choke"

I have the fuel tank on reserve as I need to get some gas

The choke is all the way in

I can hear some piston noise

I am getting a lot of shaking and a rattle (more than usual). That started happening last week. It started on my way to work.. I was blasting about 70 on the freeway and I started losing power, as in I was holding the throttle steady and it started backfiring and dropped to 60 mph. I pulled off did a few checks put some gas in and it seemingly worked out okay, but then I noticed I was low oil when I got home later that day So I added some oil.. and kept adding and adding until I had a view of the oil in the oil level sight when i had the kickstand down .

There are no signs that the did anything else while it was there

I did have carb rebuilt after I got the bike. I got at it at a garage sale for $500 bucks knowing it needed about $500 of work on it.

I haven't got a chance to look at the air filter yet..

BUT on the flip side I ride a 05 s40 with 9k on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 05 s40 blowing black smoke?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.