Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The other thing I did July 4th (Read 44 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
The other thing I did July 4th
07/05/13 at 07:49:31

Changed the oil in the bike. Last change was 1502 miles ago.. about April something. I am still on the same jug of T6, but I will need another before the next change. I did have to top-off the oil once during the 1500 miles.

I decided to the WD "thing" and I changed the oil in the push mower. Gawd that stuff that came out of the push mower made the used bike oil look like new.  Feels good to be doing my own re-cycling of oil. 1500 miles on T6, sure its darker... but the viscosity seems to still be there. Nothing like the black water that came out of the mower. I will also be using the used oil on the chain saw chain ( it has a pump thingy). Cause really how good does the oil dribbled on the chain have to be for the few seconds before its slung off?

I changed the oil filter last time...but that was my last one. I have another three on order but they have not come in yet. So this change will be on the old filter. Not sure how I feel about that. If too much guilt builds up I guess I can swap the filters and re-use the oil.

I then did a quicky pressure wash on the mower deck and the bike. Just enough to knock off the bugs (packed grass on the deck).  My bike is still very dirty compared to the queens that most people take out on sunday. Dirt is what happens to a daily driver.  

As to the dirt. I do not (yet) have any of the head leaks, that seen so common. I do get a good bit of oil seeping out of the speedo cable, and there were heavy oil stains to the pulley cover.

Speaking of which the pulley cover. I had pulled this off (cause its easy) and attempted to clean it up. It had bad corrosion ( water?)  on parts of it. I used several methods and cleaners, and in the end, it had a nice satin finish which I "protected" with my own spraying of thane clear.  When I hit it with the pressure sprayer, the oil stains came right off, leaving the part looking pretty dern good. Of course the question is... where did the oil stains covering this part come from as it does not have any connection to the engine case. I can only assume that the pulley is weeping oil out from there.

Bike is still 99% stock and 100% fun.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: The other thing I did July 4th
Reply #1 - 07/05/13 at 09:22:34

I can't remember the last time I took oil in for "recycling"... between the chainsaws (5) the mowers (too many) and the farm machinery (far too much)... it gets used up, burnt up or leaked out on site. I do need to mix some 50/50 with herbicide for the driveway and parking area, need to kill off a bunch of Virginia Creeper (1000x the allergen load as poison ivy).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: The other thing I did July 4th
Reply #2 - 07/05/13 at 10:23:25

HAHAH...

umm yeah... the mower oil end up on the poison ivy around the central AC... we have so much of the stuff .. no one is even allergic anymore. My son walks barefoot though it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:19:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › The other thing I did July 4th

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.