Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
savage/s-40 up grades by years (Read 249 times)
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

savage/s-40 up grades by years
07/04/13 at 07:57:34

if this has been covered please direct me to the post.
I'm shopping and after all my searches I'm down to one canidate. I've owned many bikes over the years, first bike was a 1959 triumph bonneville in 1959 at the tender age of 17
now at the not so tender age of 71
 I've found that just craigs list alone will give me many options as a new one is over budget for me, my question on used one is there years that I should be looking at? I read one post about 4 and 5 speed transmissions. got me thinking that there were no doubt other up grades by years. I've found some low mile mid 90's thru 2007 high mile all in the $2000-2800 price range.
what should I be looking for. I can't wait to get my hands dirty with all the info on this board
heres my first bike [img][/img]

triumph_001.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: savage/s-40 up grades by years
Reply #1 - 07/04/13 at 08:22:54

There have been some minor upgrades over the years.

Pre - 95 bikes don't have a torque limiter in the starter gears, and this can be a problem if the engine comes up on compression and tries to turn the starter backwards.  They can be updated if you get one cheap enough to make the change worthwhile.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

At some point the rear fender side rails lost the ability to have a back rest installed....but you can get the earlier ones fairly easily if you want to add them to a later bike.

In 2004 the handlebar controls were updated to include "emergency flashers"....and this may also be the same year a "passing light" switch was added - but I am not sure about that.

The newer you can afford the better in some respects, as rubber parts do deteriorate over time.

Do a search about the rubber head plug......an oil leak at the top of the engine is the thing to look for.  It is not too hard to fix.....and a lot of bikes are sold cheaply as the owner thinks the head gasket has failed......but we have not ever seen a head gasket fail yet. If you have mechanical skills this is about a 5 -6 hour repair the first time you do it as part of it is the learning......the next time it will go faster.

« Last Edit: 07/04/13 at 10:16:47 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/04/13 at 09:30:31

Thanks Dave  so  no major difference over the years.. I never have been able to leave things alone..

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 07/04/13 at 11:22:47

I like that photo. Sweet Triumph, surrounded by chicks.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 07/04/13 at 11:32:29

"Upgrade" and "Change" are not always synonymous. Removing the sissy bar is a change, but not an upgrade. Adding a flash-to-pass switch (which turns on the high beam if it isn't already on) may be an upgrade. The four-way flashers seem like an upgrade, except they only work when the ignition is on. Changing the cylinder finish from natural to black, then back to natural is a change. The annual paint color change is an upgrade if you like the new color better; a downgrade if you dislike it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/04/13 at 11:45:14

I read somewhere, that sometime in the early 2000's they went to a better cylinder coating...
Don't remember the details... maybe around 01' to 03'...
Maybe when the engine went black....  but, I like the look of the silver...
Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #6 - 07/04/13 at 17:15:37

Hi Noname, 86-95 4 speed. 96 and on, 5 speed. 86-2004 is a Savage, 2005 on is a Boulevard S40

« Last Edit: 07/05/13 at 01:21:16 by 87 savage »  

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/04/13 at 21:08:02

Borracho wrote on 07/04/13 at 11:22:47:
I like that photo. Sweet Triumph, surrounded by chicks.

Those young chicks are  all about 70. Now lol. Those good times for street racing and partying. Went in the navy Feb 1960 and everything change while out of the states

IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/04/13 at 21:19:14

Charon wrote on 07/04/13 at 11:32:29:
"Upgrade" and "Change" are not always synonymous. Removing the sissy bar is a change, but not an upgrade. Adding a flash-to-pass switch (which turns on the high beam if it isn't already on) may be an upgrade. The four-way flashers seem like an upgrade, except they only work when the ignition is on. Changing the cylinder finish from natural to black, then back to natural is a change. The annual paint color change is an upgrade if you like the new color better; a downgrade if you dislike it.

25 years without a cam , head, valves, compression  changes  tells me a lot about the base engine, adding an extra gear is a change. I'm from a time when Matchless/AJS, BSA Goldstar, Norton all had 500 lungers that ruled.on the. Race tracks. So I'm confident that I can make a 650 that will keep a smile on my face

IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/04/13 at 21:30:29

Serowbot wrote on 07/04/13 at 11:45:14:
I read somewhere, that sometime in the early 2000's they went to a better cylinder coating...
Tongue...

Well I will shop later models the starter was good info. headlights flashing wouldn't keep me up at night .
Piston and cam changes, chain and sprokets so I can mess with gear ratios. Does anyone mess with the head and valves?

IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/04/13 at 21:33:41

:Serowbot wrote on 07/04/13 at 11:45:14:
Tongue...

Well I will shop later models the starter was good info. headlights flashing wouldn't keep me up at night .
Piston and cam changes, chain and sprokets so I can mess with gear ratios. Does anyone mess with the head and valves?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/04/13 at 21:47:32

Talk to Lancer, he's the hook up for hot cams, better clutch components, better cables and hoses, carburetor jets... And Verslagen 1 is THE source for a cam chain tensioner that won't fail at 1/2 the chain life and destroy the engine 9 times out of 10 (yes, the stock part really IS that bad)...

Now, the Savage has a very weak oil pump, very poorly made cam chain tensioner, no actual bearings for the camshaft (rides in the lower head casting and is capped by the upper head casting), and some have atrociously bad electrical parts (few and far between, but out there, think Lucas on angel dust)...

On the whole though, pretty decent for 1970s technology. It's no Matchless G50, but... it doesn't have to be.

Nice Trumpet by the way.  Cool

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/05/13 at 11:56:05

WD wrote on 07/04/13 at 21:47:32:
Talk to Lancer, he's the hook up for hot cams, better clutch components, better cables and hoses, carburetor jets... And Verslagen 1 is THE source for a cam chain tensioner that won't fail at 1/2 the chain life and destroy the engine 9 times out of 10 (yes, the stock part really IS that bad)...

Now, the Savage has a very weak oil pump, very poorly made cam chain tensioner, no actual bearings for the camshaft (rides in the lower head casting and is capped by the upper head casting), and some have atrociously bad electrical parts (few and far between, but out there, think Lucas on angel dust)...

Thanks WD nice try but you can't scare me, I've owned several British bikes lol I've never owned a single but have ridden most brit 500's . Can't wait to get my hands on a savage.
 I build and work on a lot classic and hot rod cars. And see this 650 savage as a retro hot rod. I'm pretty good at modifing things to the point they are not reliable but fun when they run  Grin

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/05/13 at 17:04:09

Not trying to scare you, just some items that tend to get brushed aside on the forum.

I've had my 1998 since it was new.

Have had and gotten rid of in the same time frame: 450 Rebel (Lisa killed it), Kawasaki VN800A (blew the bottom end apart, too many full throttle runs on a seriously hopped up engine), Kawasaki VN800B a.k.a. Classic (terrible handling and the steering head bearing locked up on me, in a turn, broke me), 2 1964 Bonneville T120C 650s, a Rickman-Zundapp 125, and a 1957 Panhead FL in a Knucklehead EL chassis (needed about $28K in parts and work, f*** that).

My Savage is pretty much driveway art, electrical problems. I'm building a 1963 Honda CL72 (250 Scrambler) that was turned into a TT bike in the late 60s or early 70s, ran (kind of, occasionally, if it wanted to) when I got it, the engine is now locked up tighter than a nun's knees...  Shocked

I'm kinda rough on bikes, I broke my BMW R51... in half...  Roll Eyes

Old vehicles? I'm getting ready to bore/stroke a 230 L6, add a dual intake, headers, 12v w/alternator conversion to my 1949 Dodge truck lowrider/kustom/bikehauler project. And drag my "Cal Look" 72 VW Super Beetle out of the barn and fix it back up. The 95 Outback is broken, the 94 Ranger snapped it's clutch master in half this afternoon (cheap piece of crap, only lasted 208K miles)...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/05/13 at 17:45:38

WD wrote on 07/05/13 at 17:04:09:
Not trying to scare you, just some items that tend to get brushed aside on the forum.

I've had my 1998 since it was new.

Have had and gotten rid of in the same time frame: 450 Rebel (Lisa killed it), Kawasaki VN800A (blew the bottom end apart, too many full throttle runs on a seriously hopped up engine), Kawasaki VN800B a.k.a. Classic (terrible handling and the steering head bearing locked up on me, in a turn, broke me), 2 1964 Bonneville T120C 650s, a Rickman-Zundapp 125, and a 1957 Panhead FL in a Knucklehead EL chassis (needed about $28K in parts and work, f*** that).

My Savage is pretty much driveway art, electrical problems. I'm building a 1963 Honda CL72 (250 Scrambler) that was turned into a TT bike in the late 60s or early 70s, ran (kind of, occasionally, if it wanted to) when I got it, the engine is now locked up tighter than a nun's knees...  Shocked

I'm kinda rough on bikes, I broke my BMW R51... in half...  Roll Eyes

Old vehicles? I'm getting ready to bore/stroke a 230 L6, add a dual intake, headers, 12v w/alternator conversion to my 1949 Dodge truck lowrider/kustom/bikehauler project. And drag my "Cal Look" 72 VW Super Beetle out of the barn and fix it back up. The 95 Outback is broken, the 94 Ranger snapped it's clutch master in half this afternoon (cheap piece of crap, only lasted 208K miles)...

I appreciate your input. More I learn the better equipped I am when a problem  comes. Up. Sounds like your not running out of things to do
I quit racing oct. 6 1974 took me 2 years to learn how to walk again. Have a knee that only bend my knee a few degrees can't get on the pegs of a standard bike or crotch rocket. Raising the seat and forward controls will fit just fine

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:14:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › savage/s-40 up grades by years

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.