Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Snowden in Moscw
07/02/13 at 23:26:06

Statement From Edward Snowden in Moscow

WikiLeaks

One week ago I left Hong Kong after it became clear that my freedom and safety were under threat for revealing the truth. My continued liberty has been owed to the efforts of friends new and old, family, and others who I have never met and probably never will. I trusted them with my life and they returned that trust with a faith in me for which I will always be thankful.

On Thursday, President Obama declared before the world that he would not permit any diplomatic "wheeling and dealing" over my case. Yet now it is being reported that after promising not to do so, the President ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.

This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me.

For decades the United States of America has been one of the strongest defenders of the human right to seek asylum. Sadly, this right, laid out and voted for by the U.S. in Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, is now being rejected by the current government of my country. The Obama administration has now adopted the strategy of using citizenship as a weapon. Although I am convicted of nothing, it has unilaterally revoked my passport, leaving me a stateless person. Without any judicial order, the administration now seeks to stop me exercising a basic right. A right that belongs to everybody. The right to seek asylum.

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised – and it should be.

I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by so many.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Snowden in Moscw
Reply #1 - 07/03/13 at 07:57:55

I have access to information that various banks have that there are home loans that people have that the houses are worth a lot less than the loans on them ...

I think I should print it and email it to Wall street journal ...

Aaaaah sorry, I wont, cos I am not a criminal. I have been given access to this info, and I have signed a non disclosure and a non pilfer agreement ... I dont break those, cos I am not a theif hiding behind a made up "principle".

You sign a non disclosure and a non pilfer contract ... you keep your mouth shut, that's what you have signed.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 07/06/13 at 12:16:24

The people need to know the truth period. They need to know what the elected officials are doing behind our backs. We all know they're chiseling away at the Constitution. How many rights are they trying to take away from us Illegal searches are no longer illegal. We need to stand together and tell them no more.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/06/13 at 13:36:51

if the agreement expects one to keep illegal activities against the people a secret, thats different from just "info" that could be used to make $$,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 07/06/13 at 17:30:17

He didn't do squat that wasn't given to him, that he swore to keep secret ...

If he had hacked his way and pulled that info and published, OK its fair enough ...

This is what he did.
1. He agreed to keep all information secret regardless of what it was. It was needed to even get a low level security clearance.
2. He pulled the information into his laptop.
3. He tried to sell that data.
4. He could not, and decided to give a sampler to the papers.
5. He ran to china, and claimed without context the US spying on china.
6. He then ran to Moscow claiming the same thing.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/09/13 at 20:02:25

How severe, grim and/or dire does the situation have to be before it becomes justified to break that contract?

At least he did it for the good of the United States (in his mind).

Never stopped insider trading which is strictly motivated by greed.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/09/13 at 20:27:40

sri, just how badly do you want to live in a police state?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 07/10/13 at 07:04:50

Midnightrider wrote on 07/02/13 at 23:26:06:
Statement From Edward Snowden in Moscow

WikiLeaks

One week ago I left Hong Kong after it became clear that my freedom and safety were under threat for revealing the truth. My continued liberty has been owed to the efforts of friends new and old, family, and others who I have never met and probably never will. I trusted them with my life and they returned that trust with a faith in me for which I will always be thankful.

On Thursday, President Obama declared before the world that he would not permit any diplomatic "wheeling and dealing" over my case. Yet now it is being reported that after promising not to do so, the President ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.

This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me.

For decades the United States of America has been one of the strongest defenders of the human right to seek asylum. Sadly, this right, laid out and voted for by the U.S. in Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, is now being rejected by the current government of my country. The Obama administration has now adopted the strategy of using citizenship as a weapon. Although I am convicted of nothing, it has unilaterally revoked my passport, leaving me a stateless person. Without any judicial order, the administration now seeks to stop me exercising a basic right. A right that belongs to everybody. The right to seek asylum.

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised – and it should be.

I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by so many.

Whether what he did was correctly motivated or not, I agree with the gist of his statement. The entire political machine is in motion to crucify him, not that he deserving of it or that what he "leaked" was of ANY consequence .. no .. the machine needs to prove to all others the extent to which they will go destroy anyone tampering NOT with the US... but with the machine.

Having worked now for many years with those from other countries. There seems to be an ever growing weight to a theory I have. Those from other countries, other cultures ASSUME that the greatness of the US is linked directly to the government and it laws and rules. This is false and those growing up here know it. The greatness of the US is due to its people... their virtues and morals. The government (was) run by those with such qualities. The (US) government is not good or bad, it is a reflection of those who are in power or those that voted for those in power (least we voters think ourselves innocent).

Sri's point is not invalid, but it belies what others may see as the bigger picture. Did Snowden do wrong? Most assuredly. Did he leak anything worthy of the condition he finds himself in? Hardly. Ask yourself: if YOU were guilty of doing something .. beyond all doubt, but you had covered it up successfully, and then were exposed .. what better way to reduce the "guilt' than to paint the one that exposed you as GUILTY and unworthy of praise at exposing your guilt. The American public has a darn short attention span. With out constant chatter about a topic it goes old and stale fast. Ask any tween about the what Snowden uncovered, they cant remember... they can remember that he is a fugitive and bad man. misdirection.

Lets make sure WE all know what its about: the NSA sought and got congressional approval to tap every phone in America. Every citizen is RIGHT NOW a criminal. You just haven't been targeted yet. Right now YOU have NO privacy.. NONE. ZERO. The NSA can tap your phone, capture and keep your emails and browsing history, and if you think going "off grid' will protect you.. wrong again.. they can just send in the drones. Currently, every US citizen is required to have an SSN, soon you will be required to have national ID as well. Your ability to work will depend upon it, insurance, and all other assigned benefits will be tied to it. Schools, banks, stores, cities.. all will seek to adopt this new ID as an official identifier for their own purposes. Once that occurs, one can literally be "KILLED" just by the deletion of that number.  

It is 2013... it is illegal to use SSN as an identifier.. it is risky to even keep and distribute it. And yet...here, where I work (a university), SSN is STILL being used .. still being requested as a form of identification. We still depend on it.. we just hide it in the background.  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/10/13 at 07:32:26

Pine, you can't get a Class A CDL or even a fishing license w/o giving up your SSN. At one point, the feds wanted every commercial driver's license to HAVE the holder's SSN printed on the license itself...

I still remember my university identifier number (not my ssn by the way), and I've been out of uni for 20 years...

Can't remember my own birthday w/o looking at my license, but my ssn and university id are ingrained, every form at school and in the military used one or both of them.

Snowden ought to get a medal for having the stones to publically out the snooping that smart citizens already suspected or knew about. But, God forbid the administration has to cop to the truth and risk losing its voting base... ANY administration, after awhile, they all look the same...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 07/10/13 at 08:14:30

Quote:
it is illegal to use SSN as an identifier

Sometime around 1970 all the branches of the US military stopped issuing unique service numbers to military personnel and started using SSNs instead. Im pretty sure they still do. The number on your ID card and your dogtags is your SSN.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/10/13 at 08:35:51

oldNslow wrote on 07/10/13 at 08:14:30:
Quote:
it is illegal to use SSN as an identifier

Sometime around 1970 all the branches of the US military stopped issuing unique service numbers to military personnel and started using SSNs instead. Im pretty sure they still do. The number on your ID card and your dogtags is your SSN.

which is wrong, bad policy, stupid, maybe illegal, but a set-up for id theft at minimum, i joined in 73 & thot that was stupid then, ehhh,, but waddo i know, ehh?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/10/13 at 08:56:12

Certain jail systems use it as well, instead of xxx-xx-xxxx they switch the spacing to xxxx-xx-xxx...  Roll Eyes

Anybody who stole my identity would end up giving it back... that's how rough it is for us right now.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 07/10/13 at 09:04:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/09/13 at 20:27:40:
sri, just how badly do you want to live in a police state?

How badly do you think you would be if there were no police ... and no welfare, medicare, medicaid, and lets just go with laws of any kind ...

We are bikers ... how long do you think we'd last if everyone decided since there are no cops they could do as they please in their cars and pick up trucks and SUV's wherever else.

We are already the "little guy" unless you happen to park your bike and always drive the truck ...

This fool took info we gave him and sent it to the papers ... Its worthless info, nothing anyone would pay any $$$ for, but it is sensational splashy news that does no good and a lot of harm.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:12:29

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Snowden in Moscw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.