Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Let's assume... (my pipedream) (Read 187 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Let's assume... (my pipedream)
07/01/13 at 03:32:37

My son is 15 now and will turn 16 next Easter 2014.

As a birthday present I plan to fund his MC driver's licence, which in Europe is called "A1"; he will then use his own money (and my advice) to buy himself a bike.

In Europe, "A1" is for 16y.o.,  125cc, 15hp motorcycles. Requires a written exam and a riding test.

Then comes "A2", for 18 y.o., no cc limit but 34 hp (just recently upgraded to 48 hp), another exam & riding test.

After riding on his "A2", one may wish to upgrade to "A3", which is unlimited.

PLAN:

In 2016 my son will graduate from High School and I plan a 3, 4, 5, whatever week long holiday to celebrate (I will probably be retired by then unless a war breaks out)

I would like to rent two bikes, one for him, one for myself (and wifey  Kiss) and ride our money's worth wherever possible, the more, the merrier.

Unfortunately, even if he does pass his "A2" exams, bureocracy has it that his new licence won't be ready for some time yet...

Question: Could my son rent a [what capacity / cc] bike (with my credit card) in the US and ride with us?
Frankly, not only do I doubt there's not much available to rent as a 125cc, I do not believe you can ride "Coast to Coast" cruising at 50-55mph all day long...  Roll Eyes

Advice ? What do your State / Federal laws say about this ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Let's assume... (my pipedream)
Reply #1 - 07/01/13 at 04:48:08

Well I know that there are places that rent bikes as low as 250cc and pretty much anything in between up to full sized Harleys, I think your main obstacle would be finding a company that rents to people with out of country licenses.  Here's a link to Eagle rider, they have a large selection of bikes as far as engine displacement and styles and have a lot of pickup and drop off locations. Shoot them an email and start researching so you have an idea of what to expect for planning your future trip  Wink

http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle-rental.aspx

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/01/13 at 05:59:53

I did a quick search for Kentucky.....and here is what I found for young drivers with a license from another place:

Out-of-State Permit Holders
•A valid permit holder from another state must be at least 16 years of age to drive in Kentucky.
•Must be accompanied by a licensed adult at least 21 years of age.
•Driving is restricted between 12 midnight and 6:00 a.m. for those drivers who are under age 18.

I don't see any restrictions on size of the motorcycle based on age....not sure if your propoed route would take you anywhere near Kentucky!  In most instances if you are obeying the traffic laws, not breaking the speed limit, have proper mufflers and equipment, are driving safely, and blendiing with traffic......you will never be stopped.  Few officers would ever give your son any problems if he was driving safely and with traveling with his father.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 07/01/13 at 06:16:35

pffffftt

Rent your self a Hog.. drop by here and borrow my savage for the son.

I don't know about the laws. But as said... be safe and don't stick out. The police are looking for trouble makers not hassling folks just going about their business.

Then again... not sure being caught in such a situation would be any fun ..."international incident" .... I will ask around from international friends at work.. maybe they know how it works.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/01/13 at 06:56:22

if you can get any kind of license for him that he can have in his pocket, one that would indicate he has passed a proficiency test & could ride a bike there, then id feel pretty good about him not getting in a big mess here. just a receipt showing he passed the test & is waiting for it to come in the mail would be proof enough. in texas there are learners permits, must ride with licensed rider 21 or over in sight. idk how thats sposed to help, but thats the law.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 07/01/13 at 07:11:13

Thanks all  Smiley

In the US I have been regularly renting cars with my Italian license - once, I had even forgot my license home (aka across the ocean) with a prepaid one-week rental,
I did not quite panic but asked the guys if they had a fax, they did, I immediately phoned home (it was 8p.m. in VA, 2a.m. next day in Italy  Lips Sealed) and had my wife fax a scan of my license.
It worked !  Cool (That guy must have gained 10.000 karma points !  Grin)

Out of State or outright foreign ?  Roll Eyes

The point is, if the guys at the Vehicle Licensing Office are quick enough, my son would have his "A2" (48hp) license within one working week... 883 here I come!
BUT
If they work as the typical Federal Employee... Lips Sealed

So I had to ask  Wink

Still, what am I worrying about ? I still have three years ahead of me !  Grin

Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 07/01/13 at 07:15:35

PS Thanks Pine !  Smiley

I had also inquired with Eagleriders, for riding two-up I would need the Electra Gluide, and at $120/day plus insurance etc...  Shocked $12thousand for a 60 day ride  Lips Sealed

An 883 would be around $70/day plus the same expenses.

I could even crate my own Savage and ship it over, but would need to clear US Customs...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Not sure if it would really be worth the effort unless it was a 60-90-day trip (90 days being the max duration for a Tourist Passport Stamp under the Visa-Waiver Program)

Undecided ... I might as well fly in and buy myself a used bike... insure it as required, and sell it away as I fly out ...  Roll Eyes

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 07/01/13 at 07:20:40

I wouldn't worry about it too much- by then he will have a girl he won't want to leave for a week anyway.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 07/01/13 at 07:24:37

mpescatori wrote on 07/01/13 at 07:15:35:
PS Thanks Pine !  Smiley

I had also inquired with Eagleriders, for riding two-up I would need the Electra Gluide, and at $120/day plus insurance etc...  Shocked $12thousand for a 60 day ride  Lips Sealed

An 883 would be around $70/day plus the same expenses.

I could even crate my own Savage and ship it over, but would need to clear US Customs...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Not sure if it would really be worth the effort unless it was a 60-90-day trip (90 days being the max duration for a Tourist Passport Stamp under the Visa-Waiver Program)

Undecided ... I might as well fly in and buy myself a used bike... insure it as required, and sell it away as I fly out ...  Roll Eyes

Yeah for $12K you buy three rather used nice bikes.. ride.. and sell before heading out, and come out waaaay ahead.  Theres a bunch of Suzuki C50's on ebay @ under $6k.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/01/13 at 09:06:04

Pine wrote on 07/01/13 at 07:24:37:
Yeah for $12K you buy three rather used nice bikes.. ride.. and sell before heading out, and come out waaaay ahead.  Theres a bunch of Suzuki C50's on ebay @ under $6k.

If you do that, find a buyer at the destination up front.
There's a guy on craigslist now that wants to sell, willing to drop it anywhere so he can go back home... visa expiring soon.

He's selling at a good price, but outta state bikes are a problem in California.
So pick a destination where you can sell, or at least store 'em till next time.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/01/13 at 09:34:33

Just to make it more of a challenge, do something like they do on the Cable Television show Top Gear.  Give eveybody $ 1,000 to buy a used motorcycle and gear.....and then document the travel and repairs along the way.  You could make it a requirement that it be an S540 or LS650.

If it was Top Gear....they would throw in a race or challenge every few days......or make you convert the motorcycle to a boat when you reach the other coast!    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 07/01/13 at 09:43:43

Or, you could pay someone to buy you two or three bikes and get them ride ready, you could then get them insured for you to ride for the amount of time you are here. Then he/she could sell them and return your money, minus the commission and work he/she did to get them up and running for you. Of course the person doing this for you would have to register them in thier name and liscense/tag and insure them, so be sure to include that in the total cost.
I would also make up some kind of legal contract to insure that the person you get to do the buying doesn't stiff you in the end.
Or you could find someone with several bikes willing to let you insure and drive them and simply pay them for the amount of time you ride.
You have the time, explore all options.
Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 07/01/13 at 10:42:49

... I might as well fly in and buy myself a used bike... insure it as required, and sell it away as I fly out ...  Roll Eyes
Back in '82 I flew into London, taxied to a dealer, rode out with a 500cc Silverwing.  Sold it back to him five weeks later.  Far cheaper than renting.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 07/01/13 at 11:18:31

Paladin. wrote on 07/01/13 at 10:42:49:
... I might as well fly in and buy myself a used bike... insure it as required, and sell it away as I fly out ...  Roll Eyes
Back in '82 I flew into London, taxied to a dealer, rode out with a 500cc Silverwing.  Sold it back to him five weeks later.  Far cheaper than renting.

YUP ! You have a point !

Come to think about it, it's exactly what my dad did in 1962 when on a 6-month tour of the States (he was in the Italian Navy)
Bought, drove, sold back to the original dealer.

Oldrider, come 2016 you might have found yourself an occupation !  Grin

Actually, riding East to West is verrry nice, but I probably can't sell a Florida bike in California, so I could ride back...

So... now I have to come up with a figure-8 route that'll cover everything form Empire State Building to Route 66, including Devil's Tower, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Jellystone Park and the Flrida Everglades... Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #14 - 07/01/13 at 12:26:48

mpescatori wrote on 07/01/13 at 11:18:31:
Paladin. wrote on 07/01/13 at 10:42:49:

YUP ! You have a point !

Come to think about it, it's exactly what my dad did in 1962 when on a 6-month tour of the States (he was in the Italian Navy)
Bought, drove, sold back to the original dealer.

Oldrider, come 2016 you might have found yourself an occupation !  Grin

Actually, riding East to West is verrry nice, but I probably can't sell a Florida bike in California, so I could ride back...

So... now I have to come up with a figure-8 route that'll cover everything form Empire State Building to Route 66, including Devil's Tower, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Jellystone Park and the Flrida Everglades... Cheesy

cause every 18yo boy needs to go to vegas......  Roll Eyes

Grand Canyon
New Orleans

Skip Death Valley.... nothing but hot. Stick your head in a pizza oven.. same experience.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:17:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Let's assume... (my pipedream)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.