Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bike stuck in parking lot! (Read 242 times)
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
bike stuck in parking lot!
06/30/13 at 19:45:54

After using some Permatex Ultra Copper to try to stem my exhaust leak (still a little leak, but not as bad as without the silicone) after switching to a Dyna Muff, I finally take the bike for a spin to cap off the weekend.

Starts up fine...rides as usual (which is okay, but not great lately) then a little chug, then the engine cuts out at about 45mph.  I coast into a parking lot.  Can't start it back up, not "on", not "reserve", not choked or unchoked.

I have a Raptor, so that's not it.

The engine will not start.  The starter will crank, but get puffs more than pows when I crank it.  The carb bowl has gas in it (I tested it).  I banged on the bowl with at least two screwdrivers.  Good flow from the gas tank to the carb.

If you've read my prior posts, I was dealing with a fatal dip in idle when tweaking the throttle (solved that through turning the idle a bit).  Over the winter I'd also replaced the rocker arms, so I had the engine and tank all apart.

So...my theory is either bad plug or cruddy carb.  Any other ideas?  I'd love to not have to tow it home.  Luckily I was walking distance from home.  This time.

2003 Savage LS650, Dyna, 2/3 Spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: bike stuck in parking lot!
Reply #1 - 06/30/13 at 23:16:06

well,, id shoot somethinmg in the air box to see if itll fire on, idk,, ether, i guess.. just a quick squirt, see if it changes how it acts any..
haul a plug with ya, leave the one in it, stick a plug on the wire & see if it sparks while the battery/starter motor are working hard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 07/01/13 at 02:56:04

If the bike is of age (I have no idea how old yours might be) you might have an issue with the coil.

In other words, no 15000 Volts to the plug.

If you have NO spark to the plug, try sparking with another, new, reliable plug.

Still no spark or weak spark ? Might be the coil...  Tongue or the digital whatsit...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #3 - 07/05/13 at 04:47:11

Yup.  No spark.  It wasn't the digital whatsit.  It was the sheared ignitor wire that was apprently the first to be cut while rubbing against my drive belt (!!!)

Must have routed the cables poorly when I put my engine back on and everything...maybe this is why my bike has been running a little rough since winter..more and more resistance in a cable that was getting thinner and thinner.  

Or maybe it was all fine until that one day and I just sheared it off all at once.

Hopefully I can ride it a little before I find (or cause) another problem.
Thanks for the advice, guys!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/05/13 at 07:18:42

that'll learn ya, dern ya!,, after this, youll never put anything together w/o looking to make sure things that move dont touch wires & cables.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 08/11/13 at 20:41:31

MeLikeBike wrote on 07/05/13 at 04:47:11:
Yup.  No spark.  It wasn't the digital whatsit.  It was the sheared ignitor wire that was apprently the first to be cut while rubbing against my drive belt (!!!)

Must have routed the cables poorly when I put my engine back on and everything...maybe this is why my bike has been running a little rough since winter..more and more resistance in a cable that was getting thinner and thinner.  

Or maybe it was all fine until that one day and I just sheared it off all at once.....

I had a very similar situation recently:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1363989148/

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
MeLikeBike

Newbie, but Goodie

Monroeville, PA
Reply #6 - 08/12/13 at 05:02:17

Yup, that wire bundle looks might familiar...

I ended up using the silicone tape that sticks to itself, which to me, is one of the 5 best inventions ever...right up there with WD40, superglue, and the OpenIt tool.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:31:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike stuck in parking lot!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.