Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how do you remove the stock muffler (Read 93 times)
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
how do you remove the stock muffler
08/11/13 at 06:49:53

Does anyone have any pictures or instructions on removing the stock muffler/  I looked at my Clymer manual and the heat shield only shows one bolt holding it on but I still can't get it off.  Does anyone have any instructions or picture showing what needs to be done?

Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: how do you remove the stock muffler
Reply #1 - 08/11/13 at 06:58:21

I wouldnt recommend trying to pull the muffler while the header is on the bike. Id pull the whole thing off the bike, so you dont risk messing up your crush seal or busting off a stud, You get that dude on the ground & youll see how to get the shield off just fine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 08/11/13 at 15:03:07

As usually JOG is correct.  You should take the entire pipe and muffler off together.  There are 2 bolts on header ( 10 or 12 mm, can't remember).  On the forward control there are 2 bolts (15 and 17 mm).  On the muffler support near the rear axle their are 2 more bolts (10 or 12 mm) then it all comes off.  Their are a couple other items that you will loosen up to take the muffler from the pipe.  Taking it off is a lot easier than putting it back on.  On the rear muffler support it will be very helpful to get OEM rubber spacers (not sure if that is the correct term).  When you put it back together it will help keep that heavy pipe from vibrating the nuts loose.  Their not expensive; but, they are rubber and only go one once for the most part.  That muffler gets hot and bakes the rubber spacers to the muffler.  Best regards.  

« Last Edit: 08/12/13 at 04:32:41 by Dave »  

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - 08/12/13 at 06:22:37

Thanks I think I will leave the stock muffler on instead, I looked at those poor excuses of bolts that hold the header on and all I don't need is to snap one of them off for a $20 dollar muffler I got off of ebay.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 08/12/13 at 06:58:30

The ones in the engine? They normally loosen right up. When I pulled my muffler, I didn't pull them, just loosened them and the nuts on the muffler, loosened the peg bracket bolts. You'll get enough wiggle room to remove the muffler.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/12/13 at 07:16:09

Yea, WD is spot on,, especially the head studs, theyre considered self loosening. Maybe someone put stickum on yours

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:19:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › how do you remove the stock muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.