Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
More Tha 25,000 Bumblebees Fall From Oregon Sky (Read 78 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
More Tha 25,000 Bumblebees Fall From Oregon Sky
06/30/13 at 11:11:53

More than 25,000 bumblebees fall from Oregon sky due to insecticide poisoning
Inbox
x

teddy <teddy@runningbear.com>
1:29 PM (38 minutes ago)

to
http://www.naturalnews.com/041004_Oregon_bumblebees_mass_death.html
(NaturalNews) Shoppers at a local Target store in Wilsonville, Oregon, just outside of Portland were shocked recently to step outside the big box depot into a sea of already dead and dying bumblebees. As reported by KATU.com news, more than 25,000 dead bumblebees were found littered around the store's parking lot during National Pollinator Week, a direct result of European Linden trees located in planters throughout the same parking lot having been sprayed with a highly toxic insecticide known as Safari.

European Linden trees produce luscious flowers that are rich in both nectar and pollen, which is a major draw for bumblebees and other pollinating bees during bloom season. And these same trees, which are plenteous in the Wilsonville Target's parking lot, are a major destination for local bumblebees who feed on their nutrients and help pollinate other plants.

But the property manager of the strip mall where the Wilsonville Target is located apparently had other plans for these bees, as he or she reportedly ordered that all the trees be sprayed with an insecticide chemical known as Safari, even though it is currently bloom season. According to the information page created for Safari by its manufacturer, Valent Professional Products, Safari is a broad-spectrum insecticide that kills all sorts of insects, including bees.

"To our knowledge, this is one of the largest documented bumblebee deaths in the Western U.S.," Rich Hatfield, a conservation biologist at the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation (XSIC), is quoted as saying in a recent press release. "It was heartbreaking to watch. They were literally falling out of the trees."

European Linden trees improperly sprayed with chemicals during pollination season

Hatfield and his colleagues collected bee samples from the Target parking lot on June 19, and later analyzed them to determine their cause of death. According to XSIC Executive Director Scott Hoffan Black, indiscriminate use of Safari was clearly to blame, as the chemical is never supposed to be sprayed during pollination season.

"It seems a landscape company did not follow label directions as [Safari] is not supposed to be sprayed during bloom," Dan Hilburn, Director of Plant Programs at the Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) is quoted as saying by RT.com. "We now assume this is the cause of the massive bee die-offs. Lots of bees still dying -- almost all bumblebees."

Reports indicate that ODA has also collected its own bee samples to test for pesticide exposure. ODA officials have since stated that they have never seen anything like this as far as bee deaths are concerned, and that the event is particularly ominous as it occurred during National Pollinator Week, a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) initiative that takes place annually from June 17-23.

"I've never encountered anything quite like [this] in 30 years in the business," added Hilburn.

Some local residents claim bees were deliberately murdered

Meanwhile, many local residents are outraged about the incident. Even though ODA is in the process of determining the next appropriate course of action to protect the remaining bees, which may include covering the trees with nets or applying bee repellant, some in the community are demanding answers, including an explanation from the property manager about the sprayings.

"This was not a 'die-off'; it was a mass murder," commented Rozzell Medina on the KATU.com article. "If anyone is interested in helping others to organize an onsite memorial for these murdered bees in the next couple of weeks, please join the Facebook group Wilsonville Bees Memorial."

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: More Tha 25,000 Bumblebees Fall From Oregon Sk
Reply #1 - 07/07/13 at 21:27:55

ELMWOOD - Local beekeepers are finding millions of their bees dead just after corn was planted here in the last few weeks. Dave Schuit, who has a honey operation in Elmwood, lost 600 hives, a total of 37 million bees.

“Once the corn started to get planted our bees died by the millions,” Schuit said. He and many others, including the European Union, are pointing the finger at a class of insecticides known as neonicotinoids, manufactured by Bayer CropScience Inc. used in planting corn and some other crops. The European Union just recently voted to ban these insecticides for two years, beginning December 1, 2013, to be able to study how it relates to the large bee kill they are experiencing there also.

Local grower Nathan Carey from the Neustadt, and National Farmers Union Local 344 member, says he noticed this spring the lack of bees and bumblebees on his farm. He believes that there is a strong connection between the insecticide use and the death of pollinators.

“I feel like we all have something at stake with this issue,” he said. He is organizing a public workshop and panel discussion about this problem at his farm June 22 at 10 a.m. He hopes that all interested parties can get together and talk about the reason bees, the prime pollinators of so any different plant species, are dying.

At the farm of Gary Kenny, south west of Hanover, eight of the 10 hives he kept for a beekeeper out of Kincardine, died this spring just after corn was planted in neighbouring fields.

What seems to be deadly to bees is that the neonicotinoid pesticides are coating corn seed and with the use of new air seeders, are blowing the pesticide dust into the air when planted. The death of millions of pollinators was looked at by American Purdue University. They found that, “Bees exhibited neurotoxic symptoms, analysis of dead bees revealed traces of thiamethoxam/clothianidin in each case. Seed treatments of field crops (primarily corn) are the only major source of these compounds.

Local investigations near Guelph, led to the same conclusion. A Pest Management Regulatory Agency investigation confirmed that corn seeds treated with clothianidin or thiamethoxam “contributed to the majority of the bee mortalities” last spring.

“The air seeders are the problem,” said Ontario Federation of Agriculture director Paul Wettlaufer, who farms near Neustadt. This was after this reporter called John Gillespie, OFA Bruce County president, who told me to call Wettlaufer. Unfortunately, Wettlaufer said it was, “not a local OFA issue,” and that it was an issue for the Grain Farmers of Ontario and representative, Hennry Vanakum should be notified. Vanakum could not be rached for comment.

Yet Guelph University entomologist Peter Kevan, disagreed with the EU ban.

“There’s very little evidence to say that neonicotinoids, in a very general sense, in a broad scale sense, have been a major component in the demise of honeybees or any other pollinators, anywhere in the world,” said Kevan.

But research is showing that honeybee disorders and high colony losses have become a global phenomena. An international team of scientists led by Holland’s Utrecht University concluded that, ”Large scale prophylaxic use in agriculture, their high persistence in soil and water, and their uptake by plants and translocation to flowers, neonicotinoids put pollinator services at risk.” This research and others rsulted in the Eurpean Union ban.

The United Church is also concerned about the death of so many pollinators and has prepared a “Take Action” paper it’s sending out to all its members. The church is basing its action on local research. The Take Action paper states among other things, “Scientific information gathered suggests that the planting of corn seeds treated with neonicotinoids contributed to the majority of the bee mortalities that occurred in corn growing regions of Ontario and Quebec in Spring 2012.”

Meanwhile Schuit is replacing his queen bees every few months now instead of years, as they are dying so frequently. “OMAFRA tells me to have faith. Well, I think it’s criminal what is happening, and it’s hard to have faith if it doesn’t look like they are going to do anything anyway,” Schuit says

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/07/13 at 23:01:34

its such a nice world!! im just so HAPPY!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 07/11/13 at 17:23:32

When the polinators are all killed off we will follow them within just a few years. The linden trees or Basswoods give a wonderful clear honey in the NE US. Wonder how many honey bees were part of the killing.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
keith
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/11/13 at 17:42:23

I wonder if people understand how truly scary this is?  Without the bees we have little food.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 07/11/13 at 19:02:42

Monsato will just feed us GMO corn, it's good for us and the enviroment, believe me I'm not lying   Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/11/13 at 20:37:51

Talk about a Buzzz Kill..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/12/13 at 09:22:04

Illinois illegally seizes Bees Resistant to Monsanto's Roundup; Kills remaining Queens

Posted by Kristan Harris on May 27, 2013

Monsanto, GMO, Genocide, Kristan T. Harris, The Critical Thinker, pakalert press,

This is a good barometor on where the United States priorities are. For freedom and liberty

Kristan T. Harris

Original article here.

The Illinois Ag Dept.  illegally seized privately owned bees from renowned naturalist, Terrence Ingram, without providing him with a search warrant and before the court hearing on the matter, reports Prairie Advocate News.

Behind the obvious violations of his Constitutional rights is Monsanto. Ingram was researching Roundup’s effects on bees, which he’s raised for 58 years.  “They ruined 15 years of my research,” he told Prairie Advocate, by stealing most of hisstock.

Illinois illegally seizes Bees Resistant to Monsanto’s Roundup; Kills remaining Queens

A certified letter from the Ag Dept.’s Apiary Inspection Supervisor, Steven D. Chard, stated:

“During a routine inspection of your honeybee colonies by … Inspectors Susan Kivikko and Eleanor Balson on October 23, 2011, the bacterial disease ‘American Foulbrood’ was detected in a number of colonies located behind your house…. Presence of the disease in some of your colonies was confirmed via test results from the USDA Bee Research Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland that analyzed samples collected from your apiary….”

Ingram can prove his bees did not have foulbrood, and planned to do so at a hearing set in April, but the state seized his bees at the end of March. They have not returned them and no one at the Ag Dept. seems to know where his bees are.

The bees could have been destroyed, or they could have been turned over to Monsanto to ascertain why some of his bees are resistant to Roundup. Without the bees as evidence, Ingram simply cannot defend against the phony charges of foulbrood.

Worse, all his queens died after Kivikko and Balson “inspected” his property, outside of his presence and without a warrant.

Of note, Illinois beekeepers are going underground after Ingram’s experience and refuse to register their hives, in case the state tries to steal their private property on phony claims.

http://www.southmilwaukeenow.com/blogs/communityblogs/209038121.html

Money gives you power to trample the rights of others.

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/12/13 at 09:33:57

I hate monsatan too ... I am really really wanting this to be 100% corroborated and true ... and dont tell me Monsatan has all the news reporting sites in their pockets ...

But only the nut job farming blogs and a fraction of the right wing nut jobs are echoing this ...

I continue to look ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/12/13 at 09:43:26

I see this one -

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/23/13435771-3-million-bees-seized-fro...

Nice, in queens (I guess now we know it stands for queen bees ...)

OK found something - how good or bad is this for credibility ?

http://www.stlouisstandard.com/illinois-ag-department-illegally-seizes-privat...

It may be a local Illinois news item, so didn't make it out of local news ... maybe. Let me look some more.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/12/13 at 09:48:23

Ingram can prove his bees did not have foulbrood, and planned to do so at a hearing set in April, but the state seized his bees at the end of March. They have not returned them and no one at the Ag Dept. seems to know where his bees are.

Dang,, thats gonna make proving his point a bit tuff.
as sri says,, gee, its not coming out,, so,, is it for real?

with the media being so controlled, hard to say.

i called a station & asked some questions

silly little girl,, i asked if they were told what to report on.

" no," she says  " we have a basket of stories to choose from."

i asked where the things in the basket come frrom.

" ohh, from the head office" or some such lame crap.

just because the sources that historically have brought us this TYPE of story are now being quiet means nothing. Cant trust that no coverage = no reality. the media IS controlled & the differences are superficial.
just as certain behaviors are expected from certain characters in a soap opera, we have become accustomed to believe we can rely on certain sources to bring out certain types of stories. its a big game, dont get suckered into being a pawn.

video, 16 minutes, bee keeper ingram

http://thedestructionist.wordpress.com/tag/terrence-ingram/

im lissnin to the radio right now, idk whatsaid here

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/12/13 at 11:09:11

There was another one I saw but can't recall the details.

Something about bees had Monsanto pollen on them and were "confiscated". Or the bees had all died and the owner wanted to investigate but the bee corpses were "confiscated".

--Steve

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 07/12/13 at 12:14:37

A lot of us are going to starve without bees. One of the first things Obama did was put a big wheel from Monsanto on his board. I knew then I had screwed up voting for him.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 07/12/13 at 12:15:27

Paraquat wrote on 07/12/13 at 11:09:11:
There was another one I saw but can't recall the details.

Something about bees had Monsanto pollen on them and were "confiscated". Or the bees had all died and the owner wanted to investigate but the bee corpses were "confiscated".

--Steve

I've heard of Monsatan suing one farmer cos he had GMO in his organic farm, without having paid for it, cos they were cross pollinated ... or blew across from the next monsatan planted farm.  
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/12/13 at 15:42:20

thats been done many times.. how a jury could find for monsatan baffles me.
would they fine someone for possession of stolen propert if it was left outside & a storm blew it onto their land? i guess so

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:14:13

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › More Tha 25,000 Bumblebees Fall From Oregon Sky

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.