Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
zzzzzz sound coming from clutch (Read 235 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: zzzzzz sound coming from clutch
Reply #15 - 07/01/13 at 22:17:23

Too tight puts tension on the trans output shaft, gets it slightly out of square, lets gears make contact even with the clutch in or the bike in neutral. The vibration/sound from the contact, however slight, can be transmitted through the clutch basket (which is tied into the input shaft and therefor the gears).

Confused yet? Unit construction bikes like most metrics and all Sportsters are kind of, um, odd... compared to a car/truck transmission or pre-unit motorcycles (Big Twins, early 60s and older British, Indians)... but still less finicky about how they are set up. Try to tighten the primary chain on an OLD bike, loosen a bunch of bolts, slide trans back and tighten the bolts, then reset your drivechain tension, all while keeping the primary sprocket, countershaft sprocket, and driven sprocket in perfect alignment... triple row primary chains aren't cheap.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #16 - 07/02/13 at 09:52:35

The sound might be the belt rubbing on something that it would not normally do if it was adjusted correctly?  Undecided

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #17 - 07/02/13 at 12:20:14

WD, the first paragraph makes sense for sure. in fact, I think that's probably what's been happening. when i got the bike the belt was too tight, but i didn't hear any zzzzz noise untill the belt was too loose. Which in my mind makes sense.

When I propped the bike up, removed the cover over the primary and spun the belt i can see that the prmary pully (or whatever its called) does have some sort of lope or or something to it but you cant grab a hold of it and move it "out of square" like the rear pully. I'll have to prop it up again and study the primary.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 07/02/13 at 19:25:14

There will be a bit of deflection, nothing is ever truly perfect on mass production parts. If the bike rolls smoothly in neutral, you should be fine. Even the hydraulic clutches in the Intruder and Drifter make odd sounds from time to time.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #19 - 07/02/13 at 21:08:16

huh... sh*t i dont know. I rode down to Laguna and back today. I noticed on my way back it was making that zzzzz sound again on deceleration with the clutch out. Whatever... the bike hauls a*s. At this point as long as there is no serious or permanent damage going on i cant be bothered to care. I'm not sure I would know what to do anyway. I loosen the belt it makes a sound,, I tighten the belt and makes a sound. There is a new noise every time I get on that bike. Psh, whatever

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:49:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › zzzzzz sound coming from clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.