Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
quick question about rear shocks (Read 775 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: quick question about rear shocks
Reply #15 - 06/28/13 at 15:16:53

You can order the METRIC inserts for Progressive shocks; maybe $10-12, which will fit the Savage/S40.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 06/28/13 at 17:50:25

I have four stock shocks left over from the Double RYCA build.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #17 - 06/29/13 at 08:24:25

engineer wrote on 06/28/13 at 14:11:48:
I checked a catalog and it looks like the 412-4233c is an 11" long chrome shock with a spring rate of 115/155 lbs per inch of travel.  The Progressive shocks I have seen are all narrow at the ends like the Suzuki and come with rubber bushings and various sizes of hard bushings for the studs that they mount on.  

Nobody wants to say the 412-4233c shocks would be OK and then see you spend your money to get something that doesn't fit right or feel right.  The spring rate you have selected is what the Suzuki 800 Intruder uses and many people like it, others say it is soft.  Your weight will have some effect.

Buying from Ebay the seller might not have the bushing size you want but you could probably order some from Progressive or make some out of tubing.

Short answer is I think it would be OK but this post will at least bump up your post and maybe someone who has actually fitted these Progressives on their bike will see it and give you a better opinion.

I have these exact shocks on mine. I weigh 250 lb. I have mine set at level 3. They are far superior to the stock shocks. They feel stiffer to me but bottom out far less than stock. On bad roads the rear wheel stays in contact better than with the stock ones. Because they are progressive, when they do bottom out it is far gentler than when the stock ones do.
Hope this helps.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #18 - 06/29/13 at 12:43:04

How does one install the 12.5" shocks?  With the bike on a stand and the stock shocks off I need to have the 12.5" stocks slightly compressed to get them on.  

Local parts wharehouse rents out a spring compressor for cars but it is too big for my needs.

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 06/29/13 at 13:02:08

wearsabrowncoat wrote on 06/29/13 at 12:43:04:
How does one install the 12.5" shocks?  With the bike on a stand and the stock shocks off I need to have the 12.5" stocks slightly compressed to get them on.  

Local parts wharehouse rents out a spring compressor for cars but it is too big for my needs.

You take off both stock shocks, the swing arm drops down....and you install the longer shocks!

Easy Peasy!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #20 - 06/29/13 at 14:15:12

I did that and it doesn't drop down enough. They measure 12.5" eye to eye. What am I missing?

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #21 - 06/29/13 at 14:17:43

wearsabrowncoat wrote on 06/29/13 at 14:15:12:
I did that and it doesn't drop down enough. They measure 12.5" eye to eye. What am I missing?

Sounds like your swingarm bearings are sticking. Push it down with your hand.

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #22 - 06/29/13 at 18:00:50

Put it back on the stand and pulled the stock shocks. Swing arm is dropping and the license plate on my BCB kit is hitting the exhaust.  I ended up pulling the exhaust installing the 12.5" shocks. Then I took it off the stand in hopes the weight would compress the new shocks enough so the geometry would allow the exhaust to go back on without interfering with the license plate bracket.  Still a no go so back with the stock shocks and a new search for heavy duty shocks in a stock length.

By the way. I have some nice 12.5" shocks for sale.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #23 - 06/30/13 at 04:47:41

Since we're on shocks,, I know that WD has suggested Intruder 800/VS800 shocks as direct replacement shocks with improvement in handling for more weight on the LS650.  I'm only 155Lbs. so the stock shocks are fine for me, but I love the look of solid cased shocks and was wondering if Marauder/VZ800 shocks would fit our LS650?  Cool  I've tried to find specs for them as to the mounting hole size and offset measurements since in close up pics they look wider with thicker mounting points, but with no luck.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 06/30/13 at 05:05:57

wearsabrowncoat wrote on 06/29/13 at 18:00:50:
Put it back on the stand and pulled the stock shocks. Swing arm is dropping and the license plate on my BCB kit is hitting the exhaust.  I ended up pulling the exhaust installing the 12.5" shocks. Then I took it off the stand in hopes the weight would compress the new shocks enough so the geometry would allow the exhaust to go back on without interfering with the license plate bracket.  Still a no go so back with the stock shocks and a new search for heavy duty shocks in a stock length.

By the way. I have some nice 12.5" shocks for sale.

Move your license plate to the other side.  Most of them are on that side anyhow.  You might need a different plate mount.....but the better ride is worth changing things.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #25 - 06/30/13 at 13:57:51

If I had a stock ride I would but the Blue Collar kit doesn't give me the option. I'll be looking for an 11" inch set of stocks now.

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 06/30/13 at 16:48:51

stock savage shocks are 10.5" aren't they?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 06/30/13 at 17:08:23

Toes, VZ is a VS variant, they'll work. Same sized mounting studs.

Started working on mine again today, if I can't get the rear fender gap right, it's going rigid, bad back be f'd. Rear fender is sitting too high and too far rearward with the 800 Intruder shocks on mine. How it would look with a stock fender... no idea, mine went to the melt yard 8 years ago in favor of a full fender. The dork-mobile factory tail light on the Savage and 800 Intruder ruins the lines, they should have run a VS1400 under tail style cat eye taillight.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #28 - 06/30/13 at 17:11:43

savagebob wrote on 06/30/13 at 16:48:51:
stock savage shocks are 10.5" aren't they?

Yes that sounds about right.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 - 07/01/13 at 04:32:13

Thanks for the 411 WD, I think the solid looking shocks will look cool. Also I agree that the stock toaster tail light is out of place, a cat's eye was one of the first things I did when I got my scoot.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quick question about rear shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.