Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
quick question about rear shocks (Read 775 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

quick question about rear shocks
06/26/13 at 21:26:57

Took apart rear shocks to power-coat the chrome black..

Noticed the actual shocks seem pretty slack.. in fact, they don't do anything. Push them down and they don't return.

So in other words they seem had it, what do people do for replacements? Trying to find something local and I could only find these which are NZ$500  Undecided

http://www.motozone.co.nz/products/hard-parts/suspension-2/shocks/yss-twin-sh...

Seems weird to replace the springs and everything when the shocks are easy removed. Is it normal for them to come with springs?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: quick question about rear shocks
Reply #1 - 06/26/13 at 22:15:25

how fast can you close them?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/26/13 at 22:33:29

..pretty fast, I can just stand it up on one end on the ground and push the top with my hand straight down in like, 1 second. Then they don't return.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/27/13 at 01:55:24

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 06/27/13 at 04:54:31

Shocks will not return on their own, without the spring. It is the resistance to movement, either in or out, that the shock is needed for, to damp the movement of the suspension (spring).

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/27/13 at 05:03:53

arteacher wrote on 06/27/13 at 04:54:31:
Shocks will not return on their own, without the spring. It is the resistance to movement, either in or out, that the shock is needed for, to damp the movement of the suspension (spring).

The higher end shocks that have Nitrogen chambers in them will return slowly on their own......but the Savage shocks are not charged with Nitrogen.

The Stock Savage shocks do not have much travel.....and are barely a step above a hard tail.  I hit a pothole on mine when it was stock and myl whole spine compressed and I got that electrical shock feeling in my neck.  I rode MMRanches bike and he has taller shocks on it....and it rode really smooth....it was a great ride.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 06/27/13 at 05:39:17

Stock shocks suck.
I replace them with 12 1/2" Progressives.  I like the extra height and travel they have.
I have a set of 412's for the stock S40, and 418's on REX and the 1200 Sporty.  The 412's are cushier and the 418's handle better during aggressive riding.
The better quality shock will save your butt and your spine, and handle much better on the road.

I use the Progressive shocks because they are a good shock, they are  generally plentiful when searching on ebay and with a little patience you can get what you want for a decent price.
Of course, you can always pay retail and get them quickly if you want to go that route, but you pay more for that service.

There are other good shocks out there that will work well on this bike, but being an ebay junky I go for the  best deal available and there seems to be more Progressive's available there.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 06/27/13 at 05:47:55

I put 11" 412 Progressives on mine. I am 250 lbs, and still get occasional bottoming, with them set at level 3.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/27/13 at 07:16:05

stock sportster shocks are a little light for us hefty folk.
you'll find you'll need the stiffest preload.
look for springs for the next heavier range... perfect.
I got 412's with the "1919" spring and have never touched them since.

WWW   IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/27/13 at 12:20:03

Cheers guys, so my shocks aren't necessarily worn out, but are just crap.

Being a bobber build I don't really want to raise the rear height

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/27/13 at 12:39:02

I use YSS shocks.
Cant remember what I paid.
I have thrown the box away. But I found a poor quality pic of the box and it states LS650.
Same hight but smoother ride.

002_016.jpg
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/27/13 at 12:56:22

Even if you don't want longer shocks you would still benefit by using higher quality shocks like Progressives with stiffer springs as Versy mentioned so you don't bottom out as often.  And you can get them in black.  Progressive publishes good spec sheets and catalogues.

If I were you I would buy shocks that are slightly longer if you really want to enjoy the ride and preserve you back for the future.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #12 - 06/27/13 at 17:48:53

Hagons are cheaper here (in NZ) than progressives or YSS. I went for 31 cm, but they do have a standard-ish length option for the savage. You won't see it listed on NZ sites, but the importer can assemble it. Ikon in aus also have a standard length option for the savage.

IP Logged
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Reply #13 - 06/28/13 at 03:47:31

Can I just buy any 412-4233C  off Ebay or do they need to be made for Suzuki.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/28/13 at 14:11:48

I checked a catalog and it looks like the 412-4233c is an 11" long chrome shock with a spring rate of 115/155 lbs per inch of travel.  The Progressive shocks I have seen are all narrow at the ends like the Suzuki and come with rubber bushings and various sizes of hard bushings for the studs that they mount on.  

Nobody wants to say the 412-4233c shocks would be OK and then see you spend your money to get something that doesn't fit right or feel right.  The spring rate you have selected is what the Suzuki 800 Intruder uses and many people like it, others say it is soft.  Your weight will have some effect.

Buying from Ebay the seller might not have the bushing size you want but you could probably order some from Progressive or make some out of tubing.

Short answer is I think it would be OK but this post will at least bump up your post and maybe someone who has actually fitted these Progressives on their bike will see it and give you a better opinion.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:24:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quick question about rear shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.