Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Send Topic Print
boosting the thumper (Read 5206 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: boosting the thumper
Reply #105 - 07/01/14 at 14:54:57

I'll get a cert eventually. But for now it's pretty simple to get a wof. Just remove SC belt, remove intake manifold and connect carb back to head. Take it in - they can't fail me on a supercharger fitted if it's not connected up. This is what I did just the other day.  Grin

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #106 - 07/01/14 at 16:12:09

Good sense.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #107 - 07/01/14 at 16:31:35

Yes I agree best to keep it legal if you can.

IP Logged
DennyzfR6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #108 - 10/17/14 at 11:51:09

Hello savagebob. Great project you have got going!!

I am currently at the start of a project very much like this.

I was hoping you'd be willing to answer a few questions, it would really help me along.
The very first one, is the engine still in one peace?  Wink How many miles have you put on it since the boost?

Also, have you got any idea about the oil temps you are reaching now with the charger on there?

Hope the bike is still running and to hear more about your progress.

Regards, Dennis

« Last Edit: 10/18/14 at 02:49:08 by DennyzfR6 »  
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #109 - 11/16/14 at 20:02:30

Sorry for the late reply Denny.. I've been so busy boosting around on my bike that I haven't been back to the computer for a while to make a post.

Yes the engine is still in one piece.. I haven't put that many kms on yet as it's been winter here in New Zealand.

I have no idea about Oil temps yet as I haven't gotten around to putting a temp gauge on.

The main thing I've been doing is solving the lean-back fire problem in tuning. Every time it make a pop from being lean it would blow a hole through the silicon joiner in my manifold. This has been solved with the addition of a relief valve set at 25psi to let the pressure vent out if it backfires.

Currently it's running pretty good.. so good I'm reluctant to try and tune it more.. although I know it's still a bit rich at idle.. I'm planning on leaving it until it goes on a dyno and let the experts tweak it.

Once I have some proven performance results I plan on putting together a few more kits to sell to see if anyone is interested.

Here is a photo of SavageBob at work today.. boosting to work on a supercharged savage is probably the most fun commute to work I have ever experienced.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #110 - 11/16/14 at 20:05:25

Looks mean mate. Some more close up photos please.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #111 - 11/16/14 at 22:43:45

Good to see your progress, and good to see it being done in Godzone. Perhaps if all works out you should take it to the Bert Munro, but more for display than serious racing as I doubt the handling will now match the engine. There are some threads somewhere on the tech section about fitting oil temp gauges.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
DennyzfR6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #112 - 11/17/14 at 01:03:14

Thanx for the reply Savagebob. Just knowing that it is still in one peace gives me a confidence boost to keep searching for the SC, I had almost given up on it.

The project is getting along nicely. The cafe build of the bike, however I just can not get a hold of the SC i'd like to use.

Another guy I have been in contact with here in the Netherlands did a build with an Eaton M45 SC. I does work and drive, but it is more of a showbike.
The M45 is a bit too big which means really low RPM on the SC or ending up with too much boost and no whining noises if you know what I mean.

I really really want to use an Eaton M24 SC, but this has only ever been used on a Ford Fiesta model in Brazil.  Undecided
Have contacted a guy here who speaks Portugese but we never get any replies back, kind of frustrating.

The valve is just a spring loaded pop off valve I recon, I was thinking of doing the same thing actually.

Anyway, your bike looks awesome!  Love the front brake setup aswell! Another thing I'll have to look into once the SC setup happens! Fingers crossed!

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #113 - 11/17/14 at 12:30:28

Imo the EatonM45 is still too big. I used the AMR300 which is perfect size for this motor. It's the smallest SC you can get I believe. Even then, it's not easy to get everything to fit.

The first hard part was probably alignment.. that was painstaking.. mainly because I'm no mechanic or engineer and just cobbling together stuff in my shed.

The carb was the second headache.. I tried 3 carbs before settling on the Keihin CV40 from a Harley. Which works much better than the others I tried (Stock carb's too small, Mikuni round slide lifts under boost, SU too big and heavy and weird.

The third was pulley size.. I tried so many different pulleys to find the size that provides a reasonable 10-15psi.

The fourth was blowing manifolds.. solved with a relief valve.

I'm mostly there with it. My one final problem is a weeping of oil from the SC drive hole. It's a sealed bearing in there.. but they're designed to seal against grease.. not oil. It doesn't leak when it's running.. and it doesn't leak when it's cold. But, after taking it for a run, then leaning it over when it's hot.. the oil slushes to that side of the motor and slowly seeps out a bit. I'm trying to come up with a way to park the bike upright as a easy solution.

Paul how is your big bore motor going? Have you dyno'd yours yet?

Not sure what you want close up pics of?

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #114 - 11/18/14 at 23:37:10

If you truly are not a mechanic or an engineer, then its remarkable
that you've designed and built a mechanism that many of us wouldn't
attempt to build in a fully equipped shop, let alone in a shed.

You've shown creativeness and determination in solving each
challenge that's come up.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your project with us.
Please continue to include us in your progress reports.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #115 - 11/19/14 at 03:36:50

savagebob wrote on 11/17/14 at 12:30:28:
It's a sealed bearing in there.. but they're designed to seal against grease.. not oil. It doesn't leak when it's running.. and it doesn't leak when it's cold. But, after taking it for a run, then leaning it over when it's hot.. the oil slushes to that side of the motor and slowly seeps out a bit. I'm trying to come up with a way to park the bike upright as a easy solution.

Not to state the obvious....but a kick stand on the other side would work.  For some reason Trials motorcycles have the kickstand on the other side, and you might be able to adapt one from a trials bike.  Some mount on the swing arm, and it might be as simple as welding some tabs for the mount and spring.

Or....a longer kick stand that doesn't allow the bike to tip over as much.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DennyzfR6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #116 - 11/19/14 at 05:07:13

Todd James wrote on 11/18/14 at 23:37:10:
If you truly are not a mechanic or an engineer, then its remarkable
that you've designed and built a mechanism that many of us wouldn't
attempt to build in a fully equipped shop, let alone in a shed.

You've shown creativeness and determination in solving each
challenge that's come up.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your project with us.
Please continue to include us in your progress reports.

I fully agree! A source of inspiration!

Ow, and if anyone knows where to find an Eaton M24 SC please let me know!
They are used on a Ford Fiesta 1.0 in Brazil...  it would be the perfect size for the Savage. Also the inlet is on the side en the outlet deadcenter in the middle, so fitment is also great.

Plus it should be able to wind up to about 15000 rpm without creating too much boost so i'd definately hear it  Smiley

IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #117 - 11/19/14 at 12:25:27

Thanks for the encouragement. No I am definately not a mechanic, I'm actually a graphic designer and I draw pictures on a computer for a living to be completely honest LoL. We kiwis like to cobble together stuff in our sheds, it's how we roll over here.

Denny I do think you'll still find the M45 too big.. it's designed for a 1000cc and the savage is only 650. I know that's what Rno's Slick Chick used.. but to be honest I've talked to the guy from Rno and I'm kind of dubious that the bike runs very well at all to be honest. I think it's more of a show piece..

The AMR300 that I used is from a Subaru Vivio which is 658cc and it's small and light and I think it's perfect.

Kick stand on the other side.. I have thought of that. I wasn't aware Trial bikes are on the other side I might look into that. Otherwise I was just going to bend mine down so it stands the bike upright, and then put a small counter stand on the other side under the swing arm or something.

IP Logged
DennyzfR6

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #118 - 11/19/14 at 13:58:21

Savagebob,

I think you misread my posts. I agree with you on the fact that the M45 is too big. That is why I am looking for the M24

The slick chick is indeed more of a showbike, at least in my opinion. I also spoke to him offcourse, he also gave me some good advice.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #119 - 11/19/14 at 18:00:18

Another thought would be to adopt a small center stand.  I know somebody else on the forum has one.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:15:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › boosting the thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.