Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Am I Too Lean Or Too Rich? (Read 96 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Am I Too Lean Or Too Rich?
06/23/13 at 22:19:03

hey guys I recently put a HD sporty competition pipe on my bike and have a quick question... my bike shoots black smoke out of the pipe when i accelerate but when i coast with the clutch out ( like when slowing down for a stoplight) it backfires and the pipe is bluing just a little am iI running too rich or too lean? and should I make a mixture adjustment? she runs excellent and I dont wanna mess it up to where it fouls plugs constantly or sounds like an AK-47 lol BTW im running stock jets and the mixture is at just about 2 turns.

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Am I Too Lean Or Too Rich?
Reply #1 - 06/23/13 at 22:27:23

Black smoke means yer' too rich...

Being too rich can cause popping and backfires too...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #2 - 06/23/13 at 22:33:46

Really? Thats interesting, didnt know that it will backfire if its too rich  but whats causing the bluing? thanks, I just learned something new Wink

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Boogieman

Bang! Bang!

NORCAL
Reply #3 - 06/23/13 at 23:02:25

if you run to rich, when you use the motor to slow you down some unburnt gas gets through and detonates in the exhaust pipe. you probably have to ask one of the old timers what exactly to do about that. best thing I can tell you is take the carb off and clean it really good.
Unless you put something on the exhaust pipe (i believe there is a product out there that you apply to the exhaust pipe so it doesn't blue) once it does blue I don't think there's anything you can do about it. i thnk its caused by heat.

'03 LS 650 bobber - Highly modified...crashed it.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/24/13 at 01:12:41

Yup,... lot's of rich popping around here...
I live in an unusual place...(a valley 2600ft up)... every decent ride goes up from here... to 4,000 up to 9,000ft...
Elevation, makes air thinner, and makes your bike rich...
I start popping between 5k and 7k... (If I adjust for that, I'll be too lean in town)...
So,... rich pops are very common...
Plus,.. there are lots of people here that over jet their bikes, thinking bigger jets will make them faster...
(It don't,... but, it sure makes for backfires)...

Your pipe is blueing from being too rich... (excess fuel is igniting in the pipe, creating heat)...lean conditions don't cause blueing,.. heat does... heat comes from a poor running engine, rich or lean... or, just plain ol' heat from riding in hot weather, or wooping the pants out of your engine... (chrome goes yellow, to brown, to blue, to black, as heat increases)... I know, 'cause mine is a rainbow...
Mine is blue/black... partly from lots of mountain rides... mostly from a leaky petcock that was broke when I bought the bike... and I never cleaned it off...
I leave the blue on there... (looks bada$$)... (plus, I don't want to fight that battle)...
Huh...

If you want to look like a rider... leave the blueing on there...
If you want butt-jewelry... buy some Blue Job, and rub, rub, rub....

PS...(if you want a blue pipe, just for effect... just sit and idle for 10 or 15 minutes)...
That otter doit....  Grin... (it's all about heat)...

Many is the amateur tuner,... that has spent too much time adjusting the idle, and seen his pipe blue... and then went bigger on the jets based on the blueing...
It don't work like that... Just idling too long will blue the pipe...
Don't adjust jetting based on pipe color... that don't work...
Adjust for performance... blue be d@mned...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:23:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Am I Too Lean Or Too Rich?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.