Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lowered forks now bottom out on potholes (Read 143 times)
strang

london
lowered forks now bottom out on potholes
06/22/13 at 15:52:51

Lowered my forks last week by 2". Love the look but riding it round lately I've noticed that hitting an unforseen pothole can make the forks bottom out with a crunch.
When I did it I had a hell of a time getting the fork caps back on. I ended up taking the same 2" off the top spacers and it went together fine.
Should I look at making up some spacers with just maybe 1/2" or 1" taken off the original length? Will this stiffen up the forks a bit more?
I know others lowered the forks and just kept the top spacers the same but I tried and sweated and puffed but couldn't get the spacers back in enough to get the caps back on  Embarrassed
Anyone with similar experiences would love to hear your advice.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: lowered forks now bottom out on potholes
Reply #1 - 06/23/13 at 05:44:31

Three things you can try:
1) Lengthen the spacers. This will stiffen the springs a bit. As a general guide, the spacers should stick out 1/2" to 1" with the fork extended to it's full length.
2) Add a few ml of fork oil. You have to be careful (go 5 ml at a time) or you can blow the seals out. This increases the amount the air in the tubes compresses.
3) Go to a thicker fork oil. This will stiffen up the suspension through it's entire range, and you may not like that.
Four (I know I said three before) get heavier springs or Progressives.

BTW how much do you weigh?

« Last Edit: 06/23/13 at 08:40:57 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #2 - 06/23/13 at 12:17:56

80kg/175pounds
Thanks for the 3 options - gives me a checklist to go through and experiment. Since the age of austerity hit on this side of the pond, the roads aren't being repaired properly and potholes are multiplying like rats. I'll try your checklist and if that don't work I might even go back to stock. Don't want to do it as I am doing a bit by bit cafe conversion but I this is my daily ride so it's gotta ride well first and foremost.
Actually like you've said there's 4 options but last one is too pricey for me at moment.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/23/13 at 18:27:26

There is one more option.  Use a bottom triple tree on top...It will take a spacer/adapter at the top for the center spindle, and you will need to do something like clip- on handlebars or drill the yoke for the bar mounts.  Using this methond will allow you to do is drop the fork tubes to lower the front end....but it will allow you to remove the spacers you put in and you will keep more travel in the forks.

I did this using a different style yoke...but it could be done with a stock bottom yoke.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #4 - 07/12/13 at 11:42:50

I fixed this by cutting some spacers to the original stock size and getting a friend to help get them in the forks. After lowering the forks 2" it is near impossible to get the spacers in by yourself. Best way is to use a medium extension bar that you and a friend can hold (ooh cosy) and push down together whilst turning the ratchet.
Originally I followed Hugh's guide to lowering the LS650 forks to the letter and it was a big help and mucho appreciated, but in my experience taking 2" off the top fork spacers (ie. same amount as the installed lower spacers) is a recipe for some pretty crunchy driving. If you have great roads maybe, but if you live in a city with speed humps and potholes, definitely stay with stock top spacers and get cosy with a friend.  Grin
Rides very well now, maybe better than stock. Although after the hassle of mods you start to imagine things methinks!  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:23:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lowered forks now bottom out on potholes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.