Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Obama and gas prices
06/21/13 at 12:19:09

If anyone is tired of $3.60+ gas prices, why don't we ask Obama why only 1/3 of the Federal lands that are fairly certain to contain recoverable quantities of oil and gas producing tar sands and shale have been opened to exploration?  This administration has an agenda - keep conventional energy prices painfully high so they can continue to convince us that we need to switch to stupid "green" sources.
And forget this nonsense of fracking polluting ground water.  Fracking around here takes place at depths of around 5,000 feet - that's right, a mile underground.  My well on my farm bottoms out at 100 feet.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Obama and gas prices
Reply #1 - 06/21/13 at 12:26:52

You want higher prices,... start getting oil from inland areas by squeezing it from stone a mile below the ground...
That oil will become viable when prices reach $25 a gallon or so... Huh...

...(I know that's not accurate,... I just mean that it's a much more expensive proposition)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 06/21/13 at 12:34:34

Fracking is occurring in my state nad has created a mini boon. However, I disagree that fracking always occurs at such depths and with zero ramifications... especially for those that suffer through it with no compensation.

My mother ( age 78) had them setting off explosions all around her urban neighborhood for weeks on end. It was enough to get her to go to the doctor for sleep aids.

I don't really think Obama cares one way or the other. The laws are already there...To be sure he could choose not to enforce them and be beat up for another "executive order". While I would love cheaper gas, I don't think the price rests on the hands of one president.

Of course living in MS.. I could be a bit over sensitive to oil company claims of love and good will to all. See there was this oil spill .......

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 06/21/13 at 12:35:30

Sorry, Bot, but it is economically feasible now.  No, it wasn't at $1.50 a gallon, but my sources tell me that it is at $3.00, and that number will decline more as fracking gets less expensive on a per gallon basis as production grows.
Remember how expensive everything is/or was, in its infancy, like $2,000 dollar personal computers not long ago, along with $1,000 for a simple, four function electronic calculator that you now can get for less than $10.  No exaggeration - I remember that was what the early ones cost 40 years ago, and at the value of a dollar 40 years ago.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 06/21/13 at 12:39:06

Pine -
The Administration is in charge of leases of these Federal lands.  They can make it reasonable to get a lease, or so darn complicated and full of roadblocks that it's near impossible.  And, they are ones who choose where to grant the exploration leases.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 06/21/13 at 14:06:40

Jerry: You have a 100 ft well ... and you're in an aquifer that is several 1000 feet deep ... they can pump that out in a matter of hours ... mix and squirt and extract their oil, and pump it back without you noticing ...

Its like you have this dinky little cocktail straw, and they have a 20ft dia pipe ... you're a little ant, and they are an elephant.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 06/21/13 at 15:46:01

I know a number of people in the oil business and they all tell me we hundreds of years of oil in the states.  Enough to run this country for 300 + years of oil and natural gas from reserves that we know of.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/21/13 at 18:12:19

What they don't say,.. is those resources will be progressively harder and harder to extract...  once you reach the point where you must expend more energy to get it, than it makes,.. it's no longer an energy resource...
It will still be extracted for manufacturing... plastics, rubber, vinyl, etc...
... and those things will be very expensive...

Try to imagine a world without plastics,...with this current population, and it will look a lot like the middle ages...

We've burned through the easy to get to resources in one century flat... that's a very short span in Man's history...
Once we burn through the second half... we may be doomed to devolve back into clever monkeys...

We'll make great pets... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/21/13 at 22:30:11

As wells have been drilled & used, new ways have been developed.
What wasnt viable, is, due to technology. not JUst as a function of price,
Price drives a lot of production methods, but with directional drilling
& very accurate well logging, the ability to drill along a narrow production zone has created wells today where 40 years ago wouldnt have even been a well.,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 06/22/13 at 18:53:44

I haven't forgot it was $4.50 a gallon when Bush was in office.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 06/23/13 at 12:28:38

Yep, it was $4.50 BEFORE the fracking boom.  Now that technology has caught up, we have the potential to supply ourselves.  Why aren't we doing it?  Because this administration doesn't want to see it happen.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/23/13 at 13:42:05

Dont ya just hate that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 06/23/13 at 14:20:58

Strange bedfellows, but all three, environmentalist, government, and oil like higher prices. It is a cash crop via taxes collected on it, and it leaves room to "reason" only a few cents per gallon increase at the retail level seems like chump change when you're looking at a 100 bucks to fill up. Also, the fuel efficient cars have led to tax revenue decreases, as the need to tank up is less, so a higher price per recoups some of it. But soon we will be taxed on an odometer reading....and those who tamper with theirs will go to prison with those who neglect to get health insurance  Shocked  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #13 - 06/23/13 at 17:12:52

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 06/23/13 at 12:28:38:
Yep, it was $4.50 BEFORE the fracking boom.  Now that technology has caught up, we have the potential to supply ourselves.  Why aren't we doing it?  Because this administration doesn't want to see it happen.

Maybe its the way I say it but I've been saying the government has been kiising the oil company's a$$ for years. No Taxes, we shouldn't be shipping oil overseas. Let Japan and the other countries we ship oil to deal with the middle east. I worked with 2 guys who did missionary work in Alaska for2 weeks. These missionaires worked with the Eskimos who worked at an oil refinery. All the oil they refined went to Japan. I'm against the pipeline, it will do more damage than good. All of the sludge will end up at a gulf port after its refined and shipped overseas .If the oil was staying here I would say go for it but its just another way for the oil companies to make money. The last I heard Exxon Mobil was the richest company in the world , they pay no taxes and we give them subsidies to hunt for oil. Somethings wrong with that picture. I'm a patriot, I love Americans like the ones on this forum. I detest (maybe that's a better use of the word) the crooked, thieving,lieing,a$$'s supposedly running this country. Everytime you turn around theres another scandal and no one ever gets punished. That's tyrannical! All men are created equal, if I have to go to jail for stealing, politicians in Washington should also have to go to jail for stealing. They're above the law and they have no morals.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #14 - 06/24/13 at 05:32:37

Midnight -
Don't paint all elected officials with the same brush - that's another thing that bothers me.
Most, well over 90%, are good people trying to serve the public.  Very, very few are dishonest.  Some, yes, but a very small minority, just like any other occupation.
Maybe people are tired of hearing me brag about my son-in-law.  A graduate of the Fisher School of Business at Ohio State University with a double major in finance and economics.  A really bright guy.
He's a state representative from our county, and he unabashedly has aspirations for higher political office.
He is presently paid about $63K, give or take a couple of thousand.  That's about 1/3 of what he could earn in the finance world.  He has a dream to reform gov't - make it simpler, less complicated, and more responsive.  Worthy goals.  He's making a huge personal financial sacrifice to try to make it happen.
Most of the other representatives I've met are just like him - bright people, many working another job part-time to bolster their incomes.  There is a black man from the northern part of the state, and while he's a Dem, he's one of my son-in-law's best friends in the House, and they have co-sponsored a couple of bills together, since both serve on the education committee of the House.
So, please don't refer to all politicians as crooks, thieves, whatever.  You don't really know what you're talking about.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 10:46:52

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Obama and gas prices

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.