Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I gotta tell ya!!!!!! (Read 322 times)
luvmy2009
Ex Member

I gotta tell ya!!!!!!
06/19/13 at 17:39:52

Hi, I joined this place in 2009, after I had bought a showroom Fushia and Pearl 2009 S40.
A lot has happened since then, and I thought I was due for a "Harley", Yep, you heard it from me, a 56 YO female rookie rider. I had valid reasons, or so I thought. I have just come through cancer, (1 year clean), 32 marriage fell apart after that, only child survived 2 incidents in Iraq, USMC, you get my drift. So last winter, I stumbled on a perfect 2009 Sportster, Low. I bought it. In the snowy winter of North Idaho. I didnt get to ride it until recently, and in the meantime, I sold my perfect 2009 S40.
I put 41 miles on the Harley. Realized a few things. It was not near as much fun as my S40, not near as nimble, was at least 150 lbs heavier for my 5"2 inch frame, etc, etc.
The day I accidently laid it down in my own driveway, on top of me, with no help in sight, was the day I said, "I want my sweet S40 back!!!!! I actually emailed the person I sold it too, tho they didnt respond. I would have bought it back! Anyways, I found a perfect 2011, with 277 miles on it, and 3 more years extended warranty, and am THRILLED! My Marine son drove it over for me last weekend in his truck, and laughed at me.
Didn't understand my excitement at downsizing from a perfect Harley!!!!! (He's a Harley guy!!)
So the jest of the story is this....I didn't know how good I had it with that sweet bike, till I didn't have it anymore!!!! I am back in the groove, and if it were to fall on me, I can lift it off of me.
Live and learn??????
Wanted to share, the Suzuki s40 ROCKS!
Thanks for letting me bend your ear.
Now I am off to my garage, to install a new battery, just to be on the safe side. I ran it out, left the lights on  Undecided
Only about 40 minutes tho.
Joni
PS better change my name to 2011

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: I gotta tell ya!!!!!!
Reply #1 - 06/19/13 at 18:45:11

Welcome back to the sane (or nearly sane) mutual admiration society we call........www.SuzukiSavage.com.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/19/13 at 19:12:15

Welcome back to the "light side" and glad you just laid the bike down instead of dumping it on the road!  Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 06/19/13 at 19:33:21

I love your story.....why, because as a 3 year rider of necessity, I'm the perfect mark to hype and advertising, and do I dare say, ego  Undecided

At 57 I got up on two wheels, tho years ago I rode dirt, I doubt I ever clocked over a hundred or so on pavement. Paranoid or just cautious, I started with a new 250 Rebel on my daily 26 mile RT commute. I got many a smirk directed at me....and pretended they missed the mark. When it became apparent, as my confidence and skills grew, not to mention a new top end and a clutch while still under 3000 miles on a bulletproof Honda, I knew I needed a bigger bike. The S40 was a natural fit, and served its purpose perfectly, adding a safety factor of power and speed to correct any bad judgments on my part, and adding fun as I could relax more instead of constant shifting up and down to stay in its power range on my twisty, turny, hilly commute....

But now the "pressure" to "man up" and be a real dude w/ a BIGGER bike often pricks my ego upon tease, and scorn by those who go a taunting...... me  Kiss

I know many here have rode many different bikes, yet all have either come back to this one, or still have it in their harem...
And I use the wisdom they share to combat the ego re: justifying a BIGGER bike solely because it's.....BIGGER  Grin

Thanks for sharing and affirming ( plus I could afford to just buy it cash, new, instead of being saddled with payments of $15,000.00 to appease my frail lil' ego).    

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 06/19/13 at 20:00:05

Welcome back to the wonderful world of the thumper Joni!  Being one of the old "scooter tramps" from back in the 1960-1980 era and having owned and ridden a lot of bikes from Triumphs to BSA to Norton to Harley,Singles,paralell and V-twins I'll tell you when I got back into riding a couple of years ago,I wanted a Triumph not a harley! Then I found the Savage/S40.  And for this 58 year old scooter tramp.......it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on Shocked Wink Grin!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
luvmy2009
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/19/13 at 23:39:13

Thanks all, I am SO RELIEVED!!!!
I can have fun again.
I was a mess on the Harley, because I was worried about how heavy it was. A gal bought the Harley, 5 days after I posted it on craigslist.
She is 53, and just had returned from her CCW class that day.
I wonder why the women in North Idaho over 50 want to ride a bike and pack a gun?
It happened to me too.
Is it that way everywhere????
Nice talking to you, will talk again soon.
Joni
PS Raydog, who the heck cares how big your bike is......
I have always believed size does not matter.
Don't let them get to you!!!!
I am glad you enjoyed my post, it most likely saved you all kinds of money and headache, trust me.
I just wish it had a gas guage!!LOL
I just remember to fill it every time the speedometer rolls a hundred.
Thanks guys.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/20/13 at 03:46:03

Size does matter!......at least when talking about gas tanks.

Get a small luggage lock.  Attach it to a cable up on the handlebars, and set it to match the mileage at your fillup (or plus 100).  Then you will know when it is time to fill up again.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 06/20/13 at 05:53:18

Welcome back.. Luvmy2011, though I am rather new here myself. Though I live down in Mississippi now, I use to live up in the wilds of Idaho... well OK it was Twin Falls/Boise( from '68 to '75). That's where I was taken for a ride on my first motorcycle. I still compare all bikes to that: Honda 750Four. We rode down into the Snake River Cannon. The guys were riding all over the North west.. those bikes were tough and reliable.

I also learned my love of guns from living up there...so yeah its definitely a part of ID lore... cant say its in the water...aint none! I bet riding the Sawtooth range would be blast on the bike! That's were we did all fun times.. camping, hunting, skiing, playing with rocks.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 06/20/13 at 07:56:29

WB LM11, even tho I wasn't here before when you were LM09, even tho I am a guy, i'm falling into the same catagorie as you have. I am in remission also (six months) and all my muscle mass (well most) has dissapeared and picking up a heavy bike is no longer possible. I bought the wife a 2002 savage and i've been riding it more than she has! Now I am in the process of selling my triked (temp trike kit) 2007 roadglide and use the monies to buy me a savage that I can call my own! I own a small sport bike also but don't think I will sell it just yet till I get me a savage set up the way I want it.
This sept. is a meet at WD's place, if you got the time, I went up to the blueridge for the dragon meet and met a few of these guys, great bunch of folks! and i'm planning on going up to meet WD and a few others.
CYA round the forums!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
luvmy2011
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/20/13 at 10:41:10

Wow, luggage lock, cool idea, Thanks!
So was the brake pad idea, going to do that too.
Those rides sound fun.
What is the Dragons tail?
I was hoping to join the Patriot Guard, but my bout with cancer was really really hard on my husband of 32 years, and he started up some old behaviors, in order to cope, (it must be very hard to be the other one, if your mate has cancer) Anyways, I can't live with those old behaviors.
I did when I was young, cant do it now.
We are great friends, still love each other, but not married, he lives in another state. And he was my driver on those long trips.
I stick close to home these days.
Its a crazy place out there for a female these days.
Thats why the guns and the range time.
I met a guy recently, and outshot him when he took me on a date to the range. He changed after that.
Was that a bad thing???????LOL
Have a great day,
Raining Day 2, darn was on a heat streak while I had the Harley, go figure.
Joni

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 06/20/13 at 11:03:59

A truely amazing story, I wish you the very best!! And a hearty welcome!!  Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/20/13 at 13:42:24

Welcome home.

I'm one of the "keeps one in the harem" type's Ray talks about.

The party at my place is not just for Savage riders... if you've got a pre-1972 Dodge truck (or a Warlock, L'il Red Express, or Dreamer, any year they were made) or a pre-73 Mopar car, stick the bike in the back and head down. And guns are more than welcome...

If you get up around Lewiston ID and Clarkston WA, see if my 2 Ironheads are still in the river... I fed 2 broken down Piglets to the Snake River, one was by the stern wheeler, one on the other side of the river...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #12 - 06/20/13 at 15:19:38

Dave wrote on 06/20/13 at 03:46:03:
Size does matter!......at least when talking about gas tanks.

Get a small luggage lock.  Attach it to a cable up on the handlebars, and set it to match the mileage at your fillup (or plus 100).  Then you will know when it is time to fill up again.

Jeeze Dave sometimes you are just briliant! Ive been contemplating a trip meter for acouple of months now and that is perfect, of course I am also thinking about removing the speedo from its factory location and putting it on the bars because that little round hole is the perfect size for my dunkin donuts cup! I need me a cup holder! Im just trying to figgue out what speedo would be best to replace it with due to the gearing... if you have any idea i would appreciate it.

Yes I know... I have a coffee issue, cant go without my iced coffee!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
luvmy2011
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/20/13 at 19:16:29

Old_Rider, congratulations on the good medical report.
It was a wicked 8 month battle, but The Lord and I prevailed. I am a better person because of it, and I see life through a Post-cancer lens. The view is spectacular.
I do not mind being the poster girl for colorectal cancer.
Its a hard thing for some to talk about, but let me just say this......I am 56, and I just outlived my own father, who passed away 30 years ago, from the same type of cancer I had. I cannot say it enough, PLEASE anyone, everyone, male and female, get the dreaded colonoscopy test, please. The prep for it the night before is the hardest part. I would private message anyone a few tips on how to make it through the night before easier, I have learned, I am old hat now.
The praise belongs to God, I just went along with what I needed to do.
Old_Rider, get that new S40 and have yourself some fun!!!!! It's your turn.
God Bless you,
Joni

IP Logged
luvmy2011
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/20/13 at 23:19:08

OK, on a lighter note...........tough subject back there.
I can't decide if I want saddlebags or not.
I like the simple clean look without.
And.....
I like the skinny messenger style stock Suzuki ones, tho they are not real leather, and they dont hold much.
I know I would need the supports too.
I like the look with them placed UNDER the seat, but dont like the idea of ruining my paint, even tho its under the seat,  (I can be OCD)
So I go round and round about it and since I wouldnt carry much anyways, I keep a black leather backpack handy.
Its the simplicity of the S40 that has me hooked, so I am not about to tweak everything I guess, keep it simple stupid.
Another question,
Will my pipe discolor over time for sure?
The 2009 I sold had 900 miles, and no discolor yet.
I told you I am a bit OCD, sorry.
Thanks,
Joni

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:35:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › I gotta tell ya!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.