ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: I gotta tell ya!!!!!!
Reply #15 - 06/21/13 at 05:03:00

Quote:
Im just trying to figgue out what speedo would be best to replace it with due to the gearing...

I got this one from Dime City, love it and no issues at all. It even corrected the speed difference from the original speedo  Wink
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 06/21/13 at 10:50:58

Pipe discoloration seems to be "luck of the draw." My '07 is box stock, except for the add-on Viper windshield. Mileage at the time of the picture was about 12,600.

IMG_0862_001.JPG

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
luvmy2011
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/21/13 at 12:48:44

WOW! Charon, very cool, still looks new, I hope mine stay that way.....

Joni

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #18 - 06/21/13 at 13:15:47

I think it helps that I can keep it under cover when I'm not using it. Of course there have been a few trips where it had to stay out in the motel parking lot for a couple of days.

IMG_0861.JPG

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #19 - 06/23/13 at 16:59:12

ToesNose wrote on 06/21/13 at 05:03:00:
Quote:
Im just trying to figgue out what speedo would be best to replace it with due to the gearing...

I got this one from Dime City, love it and no issues at all. It even corrected the speed difference from the original speedo  Wink
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Thanks Toes, I kinda want something alittle bigger though (typical woman) I would like something the same size only because I like the look of the chrome at the bars. I just find that since I wear a ff helmet that its a pain to see the stock one. I like to glance at it not have to push my helmet into my chest to try to see the darn thing

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #20 - 06/23/13 at 18:26:40

Braggin now are ya Yvonne? Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #21 - 06/23/13 at 23:39:05

I agree with Charon that pipe discoloration seems to be the luck of the
draw. Like Charon's, my S40 was a new, box stock '07 and the header
pipe discolored to nearly black within the 1st 100 miles.

When I decided to install a Harley Dyna Muffler I removed my complete
stock header pipe and muffler assembly and set it in the corner so that
I could return everything to stock if I ever wanted to.

So I bought a used header pipe from Pinwall Cycle that was also from
an '07 S40 with about 1600 miles on it. That pipe was nearly
showroom shiny with no discoloration. I fitted my Harley muffler to it
and it still hasn't discolored after another 1000 miles.

My opinion is that the quality of metal and/or plating varies widely even
within the same model years. I've read others on the forum say that
they have no discoloration after thousands of miles while others
discolor while riding home from the showroom.

Your carburetor settings will affect the exhaust heat and thus the
pipe discoloration, but in my case they weren't changed from one pipe
to the next. If anything, the Harley muffler would have leaned it out
and caused mine to discolor sooner.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
luvmy2011
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/24/13 at 00:39:25

Thanks for the pipe/discolor info.
My 2009, with 900 miles didnt have any discolor when I sold it, I had thought that maybe, since I was such a rookie, and it hadnt been ridden hard yet, nor any freeway miles to speak of, that somehow it may have had something to do with all that, like tempering it or something. Only riding it a couple miles here and there.
I had seen a product once, that claimed to remove that, but I didn't believe it, because my mind says its the actual metal, and cant be removed.
I am hoping I have "good luck" if thats what it is.
Well, the new owner of the Harley got it out of my garage on Friday....wow, the extra room is nice, maybe I need to turn it into chic cave? I already have the "original pink box" toolbox from Sears, and have even used it!!!!
What a pain it was to attach the battery tender leads to the battery! Oh well, it was a good first lesson in wrenching my own bike. My son thinks I should change my own oil too, not to trust anyone at a dealer.
I have been lookin at those Corbin seats, I wish they were not so spendy. The shipping is a ton too, darn....oh well, I can wait a while. But they sure look comfy.
Joni

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 06/24/13 at 03:59:11

The luggage lock was not my idea.....just repeating it from a previous post somewhere.

If you just need a place to put small things....check out a magnetic tank bag.  They have small handles and can be taken off the bike when you leave it outside.....works great for my wallet, camera, GPS, etc.  I bought one that is just big enough that I can squeeze in a rainsuit if I leave the rest of the stuff out.  You really need to stop by a dealer and see how they fit on your bike.....and which one works best for you and still lets you see the speedo.

Shovelbum.....I put the Trailtech Vapor speedo/tach and dashboard on my bike, and it works great.  It has a clock, speedometer that can be calibrated, engine temperature, odometer and trip odometer, and a Timer that shows the time total time and time the engine was run if you want trip data.  It also has an ambient air temperature that is waaay off and always read 15 degrees high.  I also use the dash board that has the neutral light, turn signal indicators and high beam indicator.  The stock speedo and turn signals are so hard to see when they are located down by your knees.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #24 - 06/24/13 at 04:25:51

Todd James wrote on 06/23/13 at 23:39:05:
I agree with Charon that pipe discoloration seems to be the luck of the
draw.

Pipe discoloration can be caused by a potential number of things- possible flaws in the pipe, running/idling the engine improperly or to extremes, and in my opinion the most common heat triggered interaction with residue left on the pipe. All it takes is residue from certain types of wax, oils or cleaning solutions, sometimes from the bike being prepped new at the dealer with residue left on the pipe you can get discoloration almost immediately  Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #25 - 06/24/13 at 15:09:23

Dave wrote on 06/24/13 at 03:59:11:
The luggage lock was not my idea.....just repeating it from a previous post somewhere.

Shovelbum.....I put the Trailtech Vapor speedo/tach and dashboard on my bike, and it works great.  It has a clock, speedometer that can be calibrated, engine temperature, odometer and trip odometer, and a Timer that shows the time total time and time the engine was run if you want trip data.  It also has an ambient air temperature that is waaay off and always read 15 degrees high.  I also use the dash board that has the neutral light, turn signal indicators and high beam indicator.  The stock speedo and turn signals are so hard to see when they are located down by your knees.  

Silly question but how does the digital speedo/tach and whatnot work. Was it hard to install? I seriously suck at electrical work mostly. Im interested in that though it has so much and is pretty cheap

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:29:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › I gotta tell ya!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.