Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
White smoke and oil smell from heat shield area? (Read 59 times)
tokn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

White smoke and oil smell from heat shield area?
06/18/13 at 20:34:42

Hi all,

I have a '96 LS650 and recently had a stuck float issue.  I have replaced the petcock with the 660 raptor petcock, changed oil and oil filter and also changed the air filter.

After running the bike a while I get this white smoke from the lower heat shield area and smells like oil burning.

First time this happened was when the float was stuck, and I had unstuck it, drained the air box and air dried the original air filter, but didn't do anything else.

I took the bike around the block and noticed the smell and the smoke, so I parked it and did the stuff I stated above and just barely took it around the block again but the smoke and the smell is still there.

What could be causing this?

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: White smoke and oil smell from heat shield are
Reply #1 - 06/18/13 at 21:08:36

Could be.. speedo cable leaking oil onto the exhaust.
Or your oil cap is leaking and may need a new o-ring.

Did you check to see if there is any oil leaks anywhere?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
tokn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/18/13 at 21:12:42

I don't see any kind of puddles or drip marks on the cement.

The strange thing was this didn't happen until I had the stuck float issue, could it just be coincidence?

IP Logged
tokn
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/18/13 at 21:26:13

Another thing of note was when I had this stuck float issue, the petcock was set to prime when it was parked, so gas was spewing out of the vent hose and the airbox.  Some of the gas that came out of the airbox ran down the exhaust/heat shield.

So I am wondering if its just burning the stuff that could have gotten trapped in the heat shield/exhaust area?  If so, why does it smell like oil and wouldn't gas already evaporated? The gas that was flowing out of the airbox was brownish, so could it be that it got mixed in with some oil?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/18/13 at 23:29:22

If the smell is different at the shield, than it is at the exhaust,... it is external... (you knew that)...
Something is, or has leaked under there... it'll either burn off,... or continue leaking... find the source, yer' engine's okay...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:43:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White smoke and oil smell from heat shield area?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.