Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A head scratcher, clutch lever turns on starter (Read 186 times)
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
A head scratcher, clutch lever turns on starter
06/13/13 at 08:06:49

So I have a 2003 that I bobbed but have the stock wiring still. I got rid of the airbox and stock seat, so I wrapped most of the wiring in electrical tape and tucked it under battery box, rectifier on the exhaust bracket. I rode through some mud the other day, so I washed it off with a wet rag, no hose. Everything was fine, I went to get gas and shake off the water. I pulled the clutch lever in and started it up, but the starter kept spinning. I let go of the clutch in neutral and it stops, engine running fine. Pull the clutch again, the starter spins and the engine chugs. Release it and everything is fine. Pull the clutch and it does it again. Release, fine. After fussing with it for a bit, I finally unplugged the clutch lever sensor on the handlebars and rode home without incident. I plugged it back in when I got home and was able to duplicate the issue. I untucked the wiring under the battery and nothing looked wet. Tucked everything back and let it sit for 15 minutes, now everything is ok again.

I didn't spray it with water or dump water on it, just slopped the rag around on the lower parts of the bike (not the handlebars or under tank connections). The starter did not get wet as far as I know. I'm not sure if the water caused a short or if I moved some connections around while i was washing it that caused the issue. Either way, it is fine now, but I am just curious which connections might be to blame in case this happens again. Has anyone has experienced this before?

Thanks,
-G

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: A head scratcher, clutch lever turns on starte
Reply #1 - 06/13/13 at 08:19:09

Doesn't sound like an issue from getting wet to me, most likely a short somewhere.  Most likely making cross contact and got moved when you played with the wiring. I know you said it's ok now, but I would go back over everything and try to hunt it down   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
hotrodbobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/13/13 at 11:25:58

yea i would totaly agree souds like a problem with the wiring rather than water

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/13/13 at 12:50:01

pulling the clutch in can activate the starter if you had the starter button mashed down.

I'd start there.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 06/13/13 at 18:55:54

verslagen1 wrote on 06/13/13 at 12:50:01:
pulling the clutch in can activate the starter if you had the starter button mashed down.

I'd start there.

I agree w/ Ver.

Somehow, the bike was thinkin' that the starter button was pushed, even though it may not have been.  Pulling in the clutch lever would then allow the starter motor to spin.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/13/13 at 21:17:03

If ya dont have a volt/ohm meter & a test lite, you should. There are some clips with a pad made of several pointy little wires that can be put on insulated wires.. Not Good for the insulation, but makes gettin hooked into That wire real easy. I have 1, had it for years, no idea where to get such now,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #6 - 06/14/13 at 05:58:59

Start by checking to make sure the starter switch is NOT sticking then check wiring. The starter switch sticking is common on the Suzuki Burgman 650 and will cause the starter to spin when brakes are applied. A dirty/sticking starter switch can cause the problem you describe when pulling the clutch in.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 06/14/13 at 19:31:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/13/13 at 21:17:03:
If ya dont have a volt/ohm meter & a test lite, you should. There are some clips with a pad made of several pointy little wires that can be put on insulated wires.. Not Good for the insulation, but makes gettin hooked into That wire real easy. I have 1, had it for years, no idea where to get such now,,

Or, you could just drive a needle through the middle of the wire.  You can then tape over the insulation damage when you are done....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/14/13 at 20:27:46

Yes! You can do that,, Hold a pin or needle in pliers & put a block of wood behind the wire & POKE Away! Easy fixer

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #9 - 06/18/13 at 16:40:52

Thanks for the replies, and sorry i've been away all weekend for a wedding. I am still recovering. Grin

I have a VOM, but i'm not sure where to start checking. Also the problem is so sporadic that it becomes difficult to duplicate. it started fine today, but was acting up by the time i got to my destination <10 min away. I did clean out the hand switches after that and I found a spider nest on the throttle side, but not in the switches. Also, the problem I'm having will cause the starter to spin and the bike to stumble, but it I try to duplicate it by holding the starter button in, it will kill it right away  Undecided not sure whats up with that.

Anyway, its functioning now again. I will report back when I find out more. Any ideas on what connections I should start testing?  Huh

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/18/13 at 20:19:23

Pull the battery negative, hook the ohm meter to the start button wires. Piddle with the buton & see if it sometimes hangs up.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 06/19/13 at 05:39:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/18/13 at 20:19:23:
Pull the battery negative, hook the ohm meter to the start button wires. Piddle with the buton & see if it sometimes hangs up.

Clean all the switches and connectors with contact cleaner and then apply some dielectric grease. Double check the starter switch. Also don't be afraid to clean switch contacts with a scotch brite pad or fine emery cloth and don't forget the dielectric grease on all switches and connectors.

The starter switch on the Burgman 650 would occasionally stick on me and cause the same problem (starter engaging). I would check it and it would be fine then mess up at random times.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:32:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A head scratcher, clutch lever turns on starter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.