Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
So we're just paranoid, huh. (Read 179 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
So we're just paranoid, huh.
06/16/13 at 08:20:22

Quote:
The National Security Agency has acknowledged in a new classified briefing that it does not need court authorization to listen to domestic phone calls.
Rep. Jerrold Nadler, a New York Democrat, disclosed this week that during a secret briefing to members of Congress, he was told that the contents of a phone call could be accessed "simply based on an analyst deciding that."
If the NSA wants "to listen to the phone," an analyst's decision is sufficient, without any other legal authorization required, Nadler said he learned. "I was rather startled," said Nadler, an attorney and congressman who serves on the House Judiciary committee.
Not only does this disclosure shed more light on how the NSA's formidable eavesdropping apparatus works domestically, it also suggests the Justice Department has secretly interpreted federal surveillance law to permit thousands of low-ranking analysts to eavesdrop on phone calls.

There's a link to the whole article on Drudge.

So much for the BS story of a couple of days ago that they were only collecting phone numbers and the duration of calls- the "metadata" I think they called it.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: So we're just paranoid, huh.
Reply #1 - 06/16/13 at 10:27:07

From an AP story.....

Bo knows, or knew, or depends on what is, is....but whistles a different tune now.

Excerpt: The Bush administration shut down its warrantless wiretapping program in 2007 but endorsed a new law, the Protect America Act, which allowed the wiretapping to continue with changes: The NSA generally would have to explain its techniques and targets to a secret court in Washington, but individual warrants would not be required.

Congress approved it, with Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., in the midst of a campaign for president, voting against it.

"This administration also puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we provide," Obama said in a speech two days before that vote. "I will provide our intelligence and law enforcement agencies with the tools they need to track and take out the terrorists without undermining our Constitution and our freedom."

That was then, this is now:

A few months after Obama took office in 2009, the surveillance debate reignited in Congress because the NSA had crossed the line. Eavesdroppers, it turned out, had been using their warrantless wiretap authority to intercept far more emails and phone calls of Americans than they were supposed to.

Obama, no longer opposed to the wiretapping, made unspecified changes to the process. The government said the problems were fixed.

"I came in with a healthy skepticism about these programs," Obama explained recently. "My team evaluated them. We scrubbed them thoroughly. We actually expanded some of the oversight, increased some of the safeguards."

Years after decrying Bush for it, Obama said Americans did have to make tough choices in the name of safety.

"You can't have 100 percent security and also then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience," the president said.

This guy is a tool, and those who back him regardless, are useful fools. I remember his opposition to raise the debt ceiling,   under Bush, I agreed with him, now, all that he argued against, he has embraced.....

Power, corruption, and pandering to the mass ignorant of the entitlement mentality has left this country in bad shape. Middle class made this nation, period. Hard work and self worth provided family, and community, with a healthy outlook and future. Divisiveness under the guise of diversity has undermined it to a point of no return.

Our "security" is NOT the knight in shining armor that will restore us, no matter who the odd bedfellows be on the matter...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 06/16/13 at 11:39:43

Quote:
"You can't have 100 percent security and also then have 100 percent privacy and zero inconvenience," the president said.

That has to be one of the most idiotic statements BO has ever made.
I'll take 100% privacy from, and as little inconvenience at the government hands as possible, and I'll take care of my own security, thank you very much.

I'm a heck of a lot more likely to be run down by some SUV driving soccer-mom yackin' on her cell phone, than getting my head chopped of or being blowed-up by a jihadi jumpin' out of the bushes down the street.

There is no such thing as 100% security. Never has been- never will be. I don't want the government to protect me. I want it to let me.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/16/13 at 12:13:13

The helluvitizzz,, THEY want to "Protect" us,, & theyre gonna do what it takews to get US to DEMand they protect us. There Will be terrorism that Could have been stopped, If ONLY our Loving Goobs had had more power & WE had had less privacy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 06/16/13 at 12:52:56

oldNslow wrote on 06/16/13 at 11:39:43:
Quote:

I'll take 100% privacy from, and as little inconvenience at the government hands as possible, and I'll take care of my own security, thank you very much.

I'm a heck of a lot more likely to be run down by some SUV driving soccer-mom yackin' on her cell phone, than getting my head chopped of or being blowed-up by a jihadi jumpin' out of the bushes down the street.

There is no such thing as 100% security. Never has been- never will be. I don't want the government to protect me. I want it to let me.

Well Said!!!!!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/16/13 at 14:51:30

Was a time in America when the pres inspired the people with

There is nothing to fear besides Fear itself

Now the goobs say

Be afraid! Be very afraid!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 06/16/13 at 16:32:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/16/13 at 14:51:30:
Was a time in America when the pres inspired the people with

There is nothing to fear besides Fear itself

Now the goobs say

Be afraid! Be very afraid!

Do you mean like when Al Gore told us Dubya played on our fears.....?????

But of course he would never do that, or would he?   Huh

http://sadbastards.wordpress.com/2007/02/25/he-betrayed-us-he-played-on-our-f...

Of note, those figures are from 2007, so you can assume they are low by today's standards.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #7 - 06/16/13 at 16:36:58

"Was a time in America when the pres inspired the people with "There is nothing to fear besides Fear itself." JOG

...That all ended when Kennedy was snuffed for going after the wrong people...(read FR,)

So, and then there was Bobby....he went after the mob. Big mistake...huge.

After that, the Presidents...(got the message.) YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE! Even Regan was just a figurehead...they would roll him out like a cardboard cut-out of himself. He would spout a few folksy platitudes (well rehearsed), and the people loved it! All the while there were sh!tloads of of neferious activity going on behind the curtain.

I even may give Bush a pass...maybe the only thing he was guilty of was being stupid.

"The helluvitizzz,, THEY want to "Protect" us". JOG

...'sneer'...protect us from what??...Two guys with a pressure cooker?? All those trillions? Heh, they still blew up their pressure cooker.

Want to protect us?? Fix the GD pipes and wires and bridges and roads. Stop poisoning our air and water. Get Monsanto out of our food...(Now THAT would be a war on terror)!

"Now the goobs say: Be afraid! Be very afraid!" JOG

Yes, and they are right. Fear the PFNAC, fear the politicians, frar the mega criminals runing the country...not only in DC, but state and local govrtnmrnt too...even on the township level...all corrupt...rotten to the core.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 06/16/13 at 18:04:11

Not sure if JFK was as pure as some think.....I heard old man Joe was ruthless, knowing he could build up a political empire, and the power it gives, using his sons.

And we can blame our executive, judicial, and legislative branches of government, but we need to also include the press/media. Once was a day they were unbiased and reported the truth and held some integrity to the profession. Not anymore, they have capitalized just as much, if not more than the parties.

I do, as exampled by ordinary citizens, in other countries, who have documented and publicized the dirty deeds of those powers on the INTERNET, for all to see. This media will be the link for all peace loving people, who care not to dominate, and push their agendas/beliefs/etc, on others via their stranglehold.

Never surrender the INTERNET or censor its use......or we will be doomed.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 06/17/13 at 09:27:55

OK so 9/11 happened ... and we should have shrugged it off and said ... meeh .. OK no problem ...

Since we did not ...
We are going to have to give up lots of our rights and be inconvenienced.
EOM.

Repeat for all the rest of the scenarios.

You dont want to get run over by a soccer mom on the cell phone in her SUV - yea make cars with cell jammers in them. Or make cell towers drop calls if the cell is moving @ more than say 2 mph. Yea more govt intrusion ... what if the poor woman is driving down skid row trying to get herself a way out. Yea screw that ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 06/17/13 at 10:50:51

Midnightrider wrote on 06/16/13 at 12:52:56:
Quote:

Well Said!!!!!!

/seconded

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 06/17/13 at 11:18:28

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you also want to fix you car on the road with chicken wire, duct tape and keep on going huh ...

Not gonna happen, sorry to break it to you, but the world has gotten far more complicated since the 60's ...
The bike you got that you can fix with zip ties, inner tube and duct tape is as close as any one will ever get ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 06/17/13 at 11:39:49

Starlifter wrote on 06/16/13 at 16:36:58:
"Was a time in America when the pres inspired the people with "There is nothing to fear besides Fear itself." JOG

...That all ended when Kennedy was snuffed for going after the wrong people...(read FR,)

So, and then there was Bobby....he went after the mob. Big mistake...huge.

After that, the Presidents...(got the message.) YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE! Even Regan was just a figurehead...they would roll him out like a cardboard cut-out of himself. He would spout a few folksy platitudes (well rehearsed), and the people loved it! All the while there were sh!tloads of of neferious activity going on behind the curtain.

I even may give Bush a pass...maybe the only thing he was guilty of was being stupid.

"The helluvitizzz,, THEY want to "Protect" us". JOG

...'sneer'...protect us from what??...Two guys with a pressure cooker?? All those trillions? Heh, they still blew up their pressure cooker.

Want to protect us?? Fix the GD pipes and wires and bridges and roads. Stop poisoning our air and water. Get Monsanto out of our food...(Now THAT would be a war on terror)!

"Now the goobs say: Be afraid! Be very afraid!" JOG

Yes, and they are right. Fear the PFNAC, fear the politicians, frar the mega criminals runing the country...not only in DC, but state and local govrtnmrnt too...even on the township level...all corrupt...rotten to the core.

Very well said !!!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 06/17/13 at 13:51:32

srinath wrote on 06/17/13 at 11:18:28:
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you also want to fix you car on the road with chicken wire, duct tape and keep on going huh ...

Not gonna happen, sorry to break it to you, but the world has gotten far more complicated since the 60's ...
The bike you got that you can fix with zip ties, inner tube and duct tape is as close as any one will ever get ...

Cool.
Srinath.

Sri,
  I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Do you mean that since the world has gotten more complicated we should just throw in the towel, admit that we are helpless and unable to take care of ourselves, and expect the government to do everying for us?

Besides, it's only the technology that has changed, people haven't evolved all that much over the past few thousand years, much less since the 60s. Otherwise we wouldn't keep doing the same dumb sh*t over and over.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/17/13 at 15:29:01

I argued this with some locals.
Have a special number, close to 911.
Call it 511.
You dial that number and your phone gets through for legitimate emergencies. Otherwise you get billed like $20 a minute to make your call.
It's not a perfect idea but neither is $100 dollars a bullet.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:31:21

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › So we're just paranoid, huh.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.