Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No Homeschooling says the Justice Dept. (Read 93 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: No Homeschooling says the Justice Dept.
Reply #15 - 06/14/13 at 14:47:36

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 06/14/13 at 12:27:45:
As one who has known many home schooled kids, I have mixed feelings about it.
One of the families we knew had a wife/mother who herself was a PhD in biochemistry.  Obviously, she is qualified by education to teach most general courses, maybe not history.
But most home schooled kids are taught by their mothers - a plain fact.  And most of these women are not PhDs in biochemistry or anything else.  They don't even have to have had one day in college.
So I have no objection to home schooling thru the elementary years, when most moms, even those with no college education themselves, can probably do an OK job of teaching the elementary level material.
But when it comes to high school, how many ordinary moms can teach the gamut of courses from history, civics, algebra, geometry, physics, trigonometry, music, English composition, etc.?
You see why I have mixed feelings?  Freedom to parent as we wish, within the obvious limits of child welfare isn't the real issue to me.
I worry about the real level of education a kid gets if home schooled for 12 years by the average mother.

+1.
The only problem is- a home schooled elementary kid is going to have quite a battle acclimatizing to the public system when they get to high school, socially and academically. 1/2 time home schooling is the way to go.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/14/13 at 16:23:09

http://www.homeschool-life.com/al/lakeforesthsc/

Scroll down, watch the vid of a kid who has been there.. Somewhat less conjecture involved that way,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #17 - 06/15/13 at 11:42:41

IMHO that is a pretty silly video. Their statistics are interesting, though, if they aren't biased, and they probably are, because they are trying to sell something.
I can speak from somewhat personal experience here. My oldest son was identified as gifted while in grade 5. At the Board's suggestion we put him in a gifted class, way across town, for grades 6,7,8. The class had around ten kids in it, with only one teacher (who I went to high school with and dated briefly- small world), who stayed together all three years, with the occasional kid leaving or entering the class. They were considered outsiders by the rest of the school population, including the teachers. When he went to high school, still in the gifted program for grades 9 and 10, a lot of his elementary class was there.
When he got to grade 11 he was dumped into the regular population, and had a difficult time. He was used to pursuing knowledge in an informal, work on your own at your own speed manner, and that did not sit well with his teachers. Teachers are only human and a couple of them resented the fact that he knew more about aspects of their curriculum than they did. He found it difficult to relate to "regular" students, as did the other gifted kids there, so they hung around together.
Not a very positive educational experience for him. When my youngest was identified as a candidate for the gifted program he asked me about it, and I told him to talk to his brother about it. He decided to stay in the regular program.
Now, extrapolate this scenario from a small group of students learning from one teacher, to a solitary student learning from a parent, and you can see the difficulties involved.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/15/13 at 12:58:49

Gee,, Lifes tuff & kids are jerks.. Too bad your kid was smarter than they were.. Maybe his future would have been brighter had he been put in with the normal kids from day one,,

& What was the video "selling".. How much $$$ was that kid gonna make? How would he benefit from the whole world going to home schooling?
Was he biased? Yea.,, he has experienced it & it was good.. Is that "Bias"?
I never was home schooled, I was just "different".My school days consisted of trying to not get beat up by the bullies & trying to be accepted by the snooty jerks. Barring that, I was trying to find Anyone who would treat me like I was okay,, sadly,, that just didnt happen much,, I didnt have friends, to speak of. The kids who lived on my block were friends, but classmates? FEW & far between. & Yes, I was opinionated even then..  While other kids were passing notes & rumors were flying about who was dating whom,, Yea, 7th & 8th graders, thinking theyre "In Looove",, watching girls cry when they got That Note from her boyfriend of a whopping 2 or 3 days & suddenly theyre breaking up,, OHH My Gaaawd the PAIN!

I was laffing at those idiots,, good grief,, we are KIDS, stop pretending your in some huge relationship. Go outside & play,, give me a break,,

School, as designed, SUCKS,, That kid was trying to make a point, quickly & clearly,, It was hyperbole & humor. YOu thot it was silly? Okay, it was kinda silly, BUT it was intended to get a message across, quickly. I thot it was well done,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 06/17/13 at 13:01:00

We dont need a way to home school our elementary and middle and high school kids while paying taxes on houses we own in the school district.

We need a bloody way to home school our kids via college so we dont have to pay their exorbitant rates for getting 8th grade english taught to 700 students who are studying biology and chemistry.

Talk about shining a bright light on a non problem and dividing the people while the problem continues un abated.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 04:13:04

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › No Homeschooling says the Justice Dept.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.