Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speed bleeders, rear brake wear, and brake fluid (Read 73 times)
snuggerbugger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Speed bleeders, rear brake wear, and brake fluid
06/11/13 at 11:08:59

Hello!  New to the forum (and motorcycles in general, woohoo!) - I had no luck finding this information with the search feature.

I just bought my first bike (a beautiful '02 savage with 8.5K miles) and while quizzing the old owner, it appears the only thing he has done has been to change the oil regularly, so here I am!  I've been digging around finding great information on what I should do with my new bike maintenance-wise, but I have a few brake questions (and i apologize if they are really stupid questions)

1) So, front brake has two calipers, so there should be two bleeder screws right?  I want to replace with speed bleeders because, to me, the $8 a caliper is worth the small time savings.  I read on the speed bleeder site that a '97 takes an m8-1.25L speed bleeder, but that is the only year with specs.  I've read that most parts are the same throughout the years, but I can't find a spec for the '02.  Does anyone know if this size bleeder will work?  I found some online but they are m8-1.25-24mm and I'm worried they are too short, without knowing exactly how long the m8-1.25L's are supposed to be.  

2) The rear brake wear indicator on my bike, when fully pressing on the rear brake does not even enter into the wear-range.  I assumed this means that the brakes have very little wear at the moment.  If they were worn out, they would pass the range, right?

3) How much brake fluid should I expect to go through in a flush?

4) And finally, I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but do the (rear) drum brakes need to be bleed too?  If so, are there speed bleeders for the rear brake?  Does anyone know the size?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Speed bleeders, rear brake wear, and brake flu
Reply #1 - 06/11/13 at 11:23:46

1 bleeder, all years the same, rear is cable operated not hydraulic so no bleeder, 4oz or so, ...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/11/13 at 11:33:00

I wouldn't bother with speed bleeders, to much back pressure.
pop the top off, wrap the threads with teflon if you like, a tube into a jar, crack it open, and keep the master full.

About half a small can or less.

the rears take forever to wear out, check when changing out the tire.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/11/13 at 11:38:38

If you wear the rear brakes out, youre riding with your foot on the brake,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
snuggerbugger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/11/13 at 11:43:58

Wow, thank you all so much for the quick response!

Verslagen, could you maybe elaborate a bit?  Everything I've read indicates that speed bleeders make it a 5 minute job, instead of 30 minutes (plus the need for an occasional assistant, which I don't have). I'm certainly not questioning your mechanical know-how; I've seen your very informed posts all over the place.  I was just wondering what you meant? Too much back pressure - does that mean I may harm something by trying to use a speed bleeder?  

Well Serowbot, I will certainly try to avoid that!   Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/11/13 at 11:48:17

I'll have to say that I've used them once when I completed drained the system to put a new hose on.  big mistake, it's hard to get the fluid flowing again and speed bleeder just makes it worse.

Maybe with a full line they'll be fine.  But, if you do as I said, gravity will drain the system for you, no work involved except to keep the master filled.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/11/13 at 11:56:22

One thing ya dont wanna allow to happen is, empty that master cylinder.
Its a booger to get the fluid to go down thru that Tiny little hole & fill the void that makes the pump. Time isnt that precious. Gravity IS your friend,, & spending $$$ to accomplish such an easy task isnt necessary.
I have a vac system Ive built, using a nebulizer for asthmatics. Just hook the compressor intake to the bleeder with a quart jar in between. Set it up like a water pipe, copper tubing soldered into holes in the jar lid. Vacuum builds in the jar & sux on the bleeder, fluid falls in the jar. BUt the 650 doesnt require such a setup.. I use it on automotive stuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 06/11/13 at 12:47:05

You have probably been reading about auto brakes. They can take a long time to bleed manually. I use a one man vacuum bleeder on my autos. The bike has only one caliper and not that much fluid. It will be a quick job. Also one person can reach the brake lever and bleeder at the same time on the bike. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 06/12/13 at 04:26:15

The EZE Bleeder shown below pushes the fluid in the direction the bubbles want to flow, so it has a better chance of getting all the air out of the system.  It moves the old fluid (and any air bubbles) from the caliper up to the master cylinder.  During a brake bleeding session, you have to empty the fluid out of the reservoir a few times to keep it from overflowing.  

The standard method we all grew up with attempts to force any air bubbles down through the caliper.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:28:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speed bleeders, rear brake wear, and brake fluid

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.