Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear Tyre and Fender questions (Read 140 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear Tyre and Fender questions
06/11/13 at 15:19:18

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, I'm from New Zealand. I've been reading stuff on this site until the early hours of the morning for the past few weeks. Love it.

So inspired I have finally got my hands on a '88 Savage for a Bobber project. I wanted the 4spd since the debate surrounding the spread of gears was convincing.

I'm aware I will need to upgrade the starter gears and that is one of the first jobs on the list along with the fuel tap mod.

I really don't want to ask all the same newb questions that have already been answered, so I'm doing my best to research first.

So regarding the rear fender. I initially was going to order the BCB kit but I don't really want to be limited to the standard rear tyre size of 140/80/15. Seems like most people put a 150/80 tyre on?

I think the trailer fender option is a good one and it's much cheaper.

There are many trailer fender sizes to choose from! What size (width) is a good size for a 150/80/15 tyre?

Thanks guys.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: Rear Tyre and Fender questions
Reply #1 - 06/11/13 at 16:25:03

Hi Savagebob,
Welcome it's good to see more members joining from NZ.
Can't help you regarding trailer fenders sorry. I took a different course of action with my rear tyre size. Got my hub relaced to a wider 4.25 x16 rim which opens up more options with wider tyres. With a stock 2.75 x15 rim you are limited to the size tyre.
Other factors like belt would have to be replaced with a chain....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 06/11/13 at 16:38:12

I really wanna say Im runnin a 140-90 Dunlop.. BUuut,, ehh,, Ill hope someone comes along & says something.,,BUT, that OEM tire isnt the size Im running,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/11/13 at 20:23:33

I thought most of you guys were running 150/80 tyres on your standard savage rims?

I'm not going to be changing the rims, if I'm limited to 140/80 then I might as well get the BCB fender..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/11/13 at 22:05:42

I THINK this is whats mounted, but Id need to go look,, & that aint happnin right NOW!

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1520

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/12/13 at 03:02:56

Ok so I just looked and it is actually a 140/90/15 sorry.

Is that the standard Savage rear size?

Just took bike out tonight for it's first run. Took me ages to get it going, had to put a jump on the battery. I'll have to see if I can find a dry cell battery or something cos one thing I hate is battery problems.

The other two things I noticed was how different the gears are to my Suzuki Bandit..

and.. I thought the front turn signals being on permanently was a short or something. Apparently thats normal running lights.. very strange.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/12/13 at 05:16:26

savagebob wrote on 06/12/13 at 03:02:56:
Ok so I just looked and it is actually a 140/90/15 sorry.

Is that the standard Savage rear size?

Just took bike out tonight for it's first run. Took me ages to get it going, had to put a jump on the battery. I'll have to see if I can find a dry cell battery or something cos one thing I hate is battery problems.

The other two things I noticed was how different the gears are to my Suzuki Bandit..

and.. I thought the front turn signals being on permanently was a short or something. Apparently thats normal running lights.. very strange.

140/80-15 is stock, 140/90-15 is easier to find and tends to make the speedometer more accurate on USA market bikes.

Front signals on at all times is USA/European market safety mandate. Bikes made model year 1974 and newer have to run daytime headlights in the USA as well, but my 1963 and 1971 Hondas will get stopped if their lights are not on as well.

Comparing a 4 speed Savage with either size Bandit is comparing a Model T to a C5 Corvette. They're both 2 or 4 wheeled vehicles, but the similarities end there...

If you want a 150/80-15, be ready to recontour the inner swingarm... some rub, some don't, depends on the bike AND which mold that particular tire was popped out of.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:31:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Tyre and Fender questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.