Send Topic Print
Tire pressure (Read 219 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Tire pressure
06/10/13 at 19:42:27

I found a good thread here the other night regarding proper tire pressure and if I remember correctly, many were running higher psi than recommended on bike instructions. I tried the search here, but for the life of me cannot find it again. My front tire should be 29 and it reads 30, so fine. Back shows solo psi should be 33 and it reads 30, so I need to add a little. Any tips on finding this post/thread?

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Tire pressure
Reply #1 - 06/10/13 at 22:41:28

I know Nut Think..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/10/13 at 23:11:23

Tire pressure ain't all that precise... don't worry too much...
As long as you're between 26 an 34lbs, you're in the park...  (higher for 2-up, or if you're a big fella',... lower if you're a scrawny rat)...
Mine gets down to below 20lbs before I catch it... then I bump it up to 32lbs, and let the process begin again...

Car tires are more critical... they are designed to run with air pressure that  lays the tread flat...
Bikes don't ... the tread is on a curve... the center always wears out before the the sides...
Air pressure only reduces sidewall flex... if your load weight is making the tire squirrly in corners... you need more air

Less air, gives more traction... and a softer ride... less chance of a blowout...
More air,... will give better mpg's... and less unsteadiness in a corner... less heat, but less traction...

All this matters... if you are Rossi... or pretend to be...
Otherwise it ain't that crucial... it's what feels comfortable for you... (the darn bike tires are going to wear out way too fast anyway)....

JMHO... Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 06/11/13 at 17:11:33

Thanks for the help guys. That's useful information.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #4 - 06/11/13 at 18:47:31

I've found tire pressure to be an important factor in handling. For me more than a pound either way from optimum and things start to feel iffy. Generally being a bit high is better - makes for smoother more progressive slipping rather than the freckle-clenching slides you get with lower pressure. Unless you're a trials rider and you want that sort of thing.
But no one can really tell you exactly what your best pressures will be - there are too many variables. So I 'd start at manufacturer's recommendation and work out from there. And:
  • Always use the same tire pressure gauge - doesn't have to be good, you just want consistent readings.
  • Always measure pressure when tires are cool - once you've been riding for a while and tires have warmed up pressure will rise by 10-15 percent.

IP Logged
MWR06AZ
YaBB Newbies

Glendale, AZ

Reply #5 - 06/17/13 at 22:02:08

Does anybody run higher than recommended?

2006 S40
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #6 - 06/18/13 at 06:39:04

I run higher pressure than what the manual states but I am also running Metzler 880 tires on my S40. Brand/type of tires have some to do with how much air pressure to run. I have found that the Metzler 880 tires like to be ran at the upper PSI stated on the sidewalls for good traction/tread life. I have 16,000 miles on the back tire with plenty of tread life left.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 06/18/13 at 07:18:35

I have been using these for years

They come in various pressure, when the green goes away it's time to inflate.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/18/13 at 07:41:37

Arnold wrote on 06/18/13 at 07:18:35:
I have been using these for years

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Air_alert_valve_cap/tire_check.gif

They come in various pressure, when the green goes away it's time to inflate.

when the green goes away it's time to inflate.

Yea,, my billfold is like that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MWR06AZ
YaBB Newbies

Glendale, AZ

Reply #9 - 06/18/13 at 12:04:46

The guy who did the tires recommended 40 on both and it rides really nice....

2006 S40
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 06/18/13 at 12:24:51

I always go by the MAX PSI that is stamped on the sidewall of the tire, not what the manual specifies. I'm usually within a lb or 2 for MAX PSI cold, if after a ride checking the tire and pressure is higher than MAX PSI, then I will lower by one lb increments when cold. I've always gotten best mileage and handling by maintaining close to MAX PSI. I think people tend to run underinflated and the wonder why they need new tires so soon.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 06/18/13 at 16:10:12

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 06/18/13 at 12:24:51:
I always go by the MAX PSI that is stamped on the sidewall of the tire, not what the manual specifies. I'm usually within a lb or 2 for MAX PSI cold, if after a ride checking the tire and pressure is higher than MAX PSI, then I will lower by one lb increments when cold. I've always gotten best mileage and handling by maintaining close to MAX PSI. I think people tend to run underinflated and the wonder why they need new tires so soon.

Ditto. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, car dolly, horse trailer, tractors, etc ad nauseum. Factory on vehicle tire placards generally don't give me the load bearing I require. Plus, having had a commercial license for years, the Dept of Transportation goes off sidewall ratings, not the vehicle tire placard...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 06/19/13 at 13:52:24

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 06/18/13 at 12:24:51:

That number on the sidewall is mostly irrelevant.  It's just a number the nanny-state requires and has nothing to do with the optimum pressure for your bike, your load, your desires for performance, etc.  All it means is that at some arbitrary pressure, the tire can safely carry the load shown on the tire.

Usually those numbers are a lot higher than what the bike needs for good handling and performance.  

The only way you'll know optimum pressure is to find it out for yourself.  
-- A good starting point is Suzuki's recommendations.  They put a lot of engineering and testing into those recommended pressures.  
-- Use those numbers for starters, then go up and down in small increments until you find a pressure where the bike sticks the best.
-- If you are carrying a heavier than normal load, increase the rear pressure 4 pounds or so.

The only good thing about those sidewall-stamped pressures is that they keep a lot of folks driving around and riding around on tires that are overly hard, but have less rolling resistance so the nation uses less gas.  I wonder if the cost savings balances out with the increased accident rate?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/19/13 at 21:41:44

Do what ya want on the bike,, but on the cages, IF the tire wears in the middle more than on the edges, its aired up too much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:35:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tire pressure

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.