Send Topic Print
tire sealants (Read 223 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
tire sealants
06/06/13 at 05:47:15

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with a product called Ride-On. Their claims of sealing, balancing, and cleanliness seem almost ideal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: tire sealants
Reply #1 - 06/06/13 at 05:53:10

Ive yet to see anything work on tubes. Tubes tear,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 06/06/13 at 06:51:47

I haven't used Ride-on specifically, but for the past half-century or so, I have used sealants like this in every motorcycle I've owned/used.

The brand I have used mostly is PJ1 Balance Plus.  I started using it when Cycle World tested it in the 1970s and said it worked well, with only two disadvantages:
-- It could be messy when you change a tire if it is a tubeless tire, or if it is tubed tire with a ripped tube.
-- You have to check your tires for nails more often because it will not leak if you pick up a nail.

The couple of times I had a puncture with a tubed tire, it did not rip, or leak any air.

It does a fantastic job of balancing because the balance is always perfect, and it doesn't change any as the tire wears.  On a really cold day, if the bike was parked outside overnight, you can feel some imbalance for a mile or so while the goo inside loosens up and moves to where it needs to be for proper balancing.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 06/06/13 at 07:02:54

Gyro it looks like the PJ1 is NLA...at least thru Dennis Kirk and a few other sites I checked. Ya have any ideas?

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 06/06/13 at 07:18:35

ZAR wrote on 06/06/13 at 07:02:54:
Gyro it looks like the PJ1 is NLA...at least thru Dennis Kirk and a few other sites I checked. Ya have any ideas?

I just discovered the same thing.  Bummer.  

I bought a case of the stuff several years ago,.. after this RYCA Double Build, I only have a couple bottles left.

Maybe I'll try Ride-On if I can't find anymore PJ-1.  The reviews seem pretty good.  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142869  It seems like Ride-On is about the same stuff as PJ-1, functionally.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 06/06/13 at 07:21:34

One of the things I truly like about liquid balancers is that you never ever have slow leaks.  That always used to bug me a lot,... knowing that every month or week, whatever, I was going to have to add a psi or two because of an undiscoverable slow leak.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that now you are forced into checking your tires more often to make sure you are not riding around with a nail in the tire.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 06/06/13 at 09:46:36

On long trips I usually have the green goop stuff to stop a leak long enough to get to a shop to get it fixed. I personally haven't needed to use it on the motorcycle but used it on a car tire once (with plug too), so I am not sure what a liquid sealant would do with a tube...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/06/13 at 09:54:55

I had Slime in my DP bike... it plugged up the tire valve when I was putting in air, and made the tire go flat... the stuff was so caught up in there, the valve got boogered getting it out,...I had to buy a new valve...

I also got a nail once, and it tore the tube... and threw Slime everywhere...

No sealants for me...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/06/13 at 09:57:34

I still have some ride on and I have used it on one tubed tire in a real world for serious test.  The tire was being worn out inside the rim portion by a protruding rough rust clump, so the ride on was ineffective for more than 2-3 days as the wear action kept on going, but it did give time to get home, so I guess it did an OK short term job.

A lot of this stuff is sold for mountain bike tires that pick up thorn punctures, and it is pretty effective on a tiny thorn type puncture.

Screws and such, no so much .....  anything that causes a progressive rip in the tube is gonna fail on you.

It does make for one fer serious holy mess when the tear in the tube progresses and lets the stuff out all over the rear wheel (lubricated bead will break free and then lets the snot ooze out all over the place).

Had to replace my rear brake shoes because of oily contamination from the dripping oozing ride on (lost braking effectiveness).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 06/06/13 at 10:24:49

Yeah, not worth it to me because of the mess it makes. Huh

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/06/13 at 10:43:22

I got a flat on an almost new rear tire about 50 miles from home. The rigidity of the tire made highway travel okay at 60+ MPH, it was, well,, not smart, but It got me down the road. I stopped & got 5 cans ( different places) of different stuff. It was holding, kinda,, & I got home. But, when I got home & stopped, the tire developed the Most Horrible case of diarrhea you can imagine! The tube must finally just split & all that crap came gushing out, OHHH My Gawwwd! Wadda mess.. BUt, I was Home!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/06/13 at 10:53:39

That's tirarrhea... Huh...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 06/06/13 at 17:54:16

Isn't it funny how some folks can have exactly the opposite experiences of others?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/06/13 at 18:03:06

That's because it only happens to other people,.. until it happens to you...

Everyone that likes the stock petcock,... has never had one get a leaky diaphragm... once it does...
...and you realize, you not only have gas flooding everywhere, you also have no mechanism to shut it off... you become a believer...
... (it's just like a stuck float,.. but now there's no shut-off)...

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #14 - 06/06/13 at 18:39:26

Serowbot wrote on 06/06/13 at 10:53:39:
That's tirarrhea... Huh...

Grin Grin Grin

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire sealants

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.