shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
87 Basket case project
05/11/13 at 10:33:51

Hi All,
Here is what we got
1987 Savage 650 11,000 miles. Has not run in at least two years. I bought it about a month ago to upgrade from my first bike (99 250 Marauder loved that thing!) I only upgraded because I travel about 100 miles a day for work and the 250 was just too small to take on the highway.
The Savage turned over so I picked it up cheap! real cheap. I brought it home and started working on it. The carb was pretty gummed up, cleaned that the slide looks a little scored so Im planning on getting a complete rebuild for that. Gas tank was seriously hosed, cleaned most of the rust out of it and changed the pet out. She has some wiring issues, chaffed wires going up to the speedo, and the yellow wires that go from the regulator? were cut, replaced by somone that had no clue and had also apparently burned and caught fire, I cleaned that up and heat shrinked those after soldering back together. Already had to replace that stupid oil plug under the head cover (briliant idea Suzuki engineers)
Now for the problem, Im guessing that its just from the crappy diaphram but I thought I would run it by you all.
When I try to start her, the head unloader only moves once in a while (every fifth or sixth attemt to start) turns over fine, she will start and run on ether but when trying to use just gas she doesnt want to run, almost like there is a dead spot on the lower half of the throttle, and she will not start without ether. She also doesnt run for long once I get her to run, as long as I keep giving her a shot of ether she would keep running but as soon as the ether is gone she dies?
Smiley

Now Im not really that good with carbs (last time I had to deal with one that was difficult was an old carter off an mg and that was 10 years ago)
I am pretty mechanically inclined so I would really rather do all the work myself

Any one with an idea I would love to hear it.

As always thanks for the help!

NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 87 Basket case project
Reply #1 - 05/11/13 at 12:39:22

If you've tackled a Carter,... this carb is cake... Wink...

By "Head unlooder" (cool name!) I guessing Decompression solenoid...
That's under the tank... a big round clunky thing... and it can get sticky and gummed up, just like the carb slide... (a kinda' gummy oil build-up)...
(you can take it apart and clean it, and it'll hit, slicker n' snot)...

Then,.. there's the running problem...
Gonna' guess it's carb related... (air filter's clean?)...
I'll guess that rusty tank is sending tiny bits down,.. and plugging things up...
You might want to add an in-line filter... and clean the jets,passages, and idle mix screw, again...
Don't worry too much about minor scour marks on the slide, unless they hamper smoothness of movement... make sure any gumminess is gone from the slide and passage, and the rubber diaphragm at the top is not torn, rotted or poorly seated...

That's all I got... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 05/11/13 at 13:05:34

Sorry, Decompression solenoid/ head unloader (thats my diesel side coming out) same difference in my world but I did take it out an clean it really well and then lubed it a bit to make it move freely. (should it unload every time I try to start the bike?)
as far as the fuel tank, im currently not even using that, I have an "IV" old mini bike plastic tank that I can hang on the handlebars while I work on her, I find the tank was getting in the way. I am planning on running an inline filter on it just in case. I think the tank will be ok shes currently sitting on my air compressor with some nuts and bolts sort of shakin the heck out of it, I hope it works.
The slide is scored but it moves fine. so I guess it should run? Im at whits end on this one.
It should be simple.... I have air, spark for sure, I assume that fuel is not getting out of the bowl maybe??? I guess I will do a complete rebuild on the carb and see whats up.
Thanks! so much Serowbot

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/11/13 at 13:17:32

"NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!"...

You bettcha'!... Grin...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 05/11/13 at 13:19:23

Make sure to cover the port for the petcock vacuum line on your carb. If you don't seal it off, you're looking at a monstrous vacuum leak. The little red rubber plug off a bike battery is just the right size...

For a vacuum slide CV, the BS40 is a tolerable carburetor. It can't hold a candle to a nice cable operated slide Mikuni, but it's decent.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 05/11/13 at 14:14:46

WD wrote on 05/11/13 at 13:19:23:
Make sure to cover the port for the petcock vacuum line on your carb. If you don't seal it off, you're looking at a monstrous vacuum leak. The little red rubber plug off a bike battery is just the right size...

For a vacuum slide CV, the BS40 is a tolerable carburetor. It can't hold a candle to a nice cable operated slide Mikuni, but it's decent.

I did put caps on all of the vacuum ports for the pet. I wouldnt mind a nice Mikuni though!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/11/13 at 15:07:19

Hmm... only one vacuum line... right-side of carb,(usually covered with a spring)...
Two other lines are vent tubes for the floatbowl... they should be open to atmosphere... (run up like this)(jets can't draw against vacuum if they're blocked)...

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 05/11/13 at 15:40:14

Really?????? HHHHMMMMMM!!!! I'm gonna have to look at that, I know that the po had all but one  blocked off, then they had put some sort of fuel shut off under the pet... I will have to check that out!
Can you send pics of which one on the right gets blocked?

You might have just saved me from going absolutely bonkers!!!  Smiley Kiss

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 05/11/13 at 16:27:16

The vacuum tap in this shot has the rubber nipple cover...(top arrow)...
The line to the pet,.. is the other arrow, with a golf tee blocking it...( it normally comes off that tap... (as you can see, it draws vacuum from the intake manifold pressure)...

« Last Edit: 05/11/13 at 18:06:35 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #9 - 05/11/13 at 16:37:52

I think I should have read the original thread completely prior to deciding I knew what was going on. I will un cap the others and see if she can finally pull some fuel through the carb!!! I am so freakin excited! I have had this thing for over a month and still havent gotten to ride it yet!! WWWWOOOOOOO HHHHHOOOOO

005_003.JPG

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 05/11/13 at 16:39:46

Serowbot wrote on 05/11/13 at 13:17:32:
"NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench or a spray gun!"...

You bettcha'!... Grin...

I was going to add especially when she carries a knife buuuttt I dont want to frighten anyone Wink

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 05/11/13 at 16:47:28

Check your tappets, apparently the decompression system should be checked when adjusting the valves

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
merhlin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Eastern Maine
Reply #12 - 05/15/13 at 02:06:26

Any luck yet with the carb?

merhlin

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #13 - 05/17/13 at 15:41:44

Alas, This abhorant thing called work has caused me to leave her devistatingly alone for over a week. I hope to give her a try in the morning. I assure you I will keep you posted. But since ALL of the vac lines were plugged as Dave awakened me to I am pretty sure she was bassically vapor-locking. So I have faith that she will fire up and run off gas now! Wink

My next issue is that when I put the tank back on the blue wire that goes to the indicator light is partially defunked and has some chaffing and when I put the booster pack on her I hear some major electrical noise almost like a 60 cycle hum coming from it so I must repair the wiring harness. I already had to fix the wires from the regulator cause the po was using wire nuts and duct tape... omg idiot!

IP Logged
shovelbum87

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Hampshire
Reply #14 - 05/19/13 at 16:23:19

Unfortunately I did not get to work on her much. My hubby works third shift friday through monday so I didnt want to wake him up so Im hoping to get back to her tomorrow after work. I did get some things done. Painted the motor, changed out the side covers. tried to fix some of the wiring issues that Alvin and the chipmunks created. and I got frustraited while trying to put my old bags on her. Has anyone put bags on theirs without the chrome side pieces? Im concerned that it might put the bags too close to the tire and or belt...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:28:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 87 Basket case project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.