Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tire sealants (Read 223 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: tire sealants
Reply #15 - 06/06/13 at 19:47:36

Would the sealent work better on a good set of tubeless tires?  I wouldn't want to be riding on them hard; although, if I did get a flat would I be able to get back to where I might be able to have it fixed?  Best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
TobyJug
YaBB Newbies

Kamloops, BC, Canada
Reply #16 - 06/06/13 at 21:02:22

In the late 70's/early 80's I had a Bonnie and I put some OKO (UK sealant) in the tyres (to keep the UK theme).  The first time I took it on a motorway I got up to 80 (mph) and it vibrated a bit.  I thought it might just be one of those that you can ride through so I carried on going.  At 100 it was still there so I decided to slow down.  As I was slowing down I realised that it was still there so I stopped on the hard shoulder.  The back tyre was completely flat and there was green snot all over it.  The inner tube was shredded.  I still don't know if it helped or not.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 06/07/13 at 04:57:16

pg wrote on 06/06/13 at 19:47:36:
Would the sealent work better on a good set of tubeless tires?  I wouldn't want to be riding on them hard; although, if I did get a flat would I be able to get back to where I might be able to have it fixed?  Best regards.

If you damaged the tire enough so it went flat, even with sealant/balancer in it, the sealant would only make things worse because it would get messy.  
-- The value of the sealant (proven to me several times over the past 50 years), is to keep the tires from going flat in the first place,.. from the most common types of punctures,.. nails, screws, etc.  
-- Of all the tire puncture incidents I have had (in both tubed and tubeless tires), I never had one where the sealant/balancer did anything other than seal the hole.  
-- The only time I ever had to deal with it being messy was when I was replacing a worn tubeless tire with a new one.  Yes, there is some clean up involved.  15 minutes and a 1/4 roll of paper towels,.. no problem,.. just another tedious step in the tire changing procedure.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #18 - 06/08/13 at 19:20:50

Tire valves are made of brass. After a couple of months the sealant leaks a little to the valve and oxidizes the brass, turning the whole thing nonfunctional. I've learned that the hard way, when I stopped at a roadside gas station one night, returning home after a day long ride, and tried to fill the tire. As Serowbot said, the valve sticks to the inward position so all I had was a deflated tire. And... the repair shop was already closed. So, use that goo if you want but don't leave home without a spare valve.

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 06/09/13 at 04:48:58

Roberto1444 wrote on 06/08/13 at 19:20:50:
Tire valves are made of brass. After a couple of months the sealant leaks a little to the valve and oxidizes the brass, turning the whole thing nonfunctional. I've learned that the hard way, when I stopped at a roadside gas station one night, returning home after a day long ride, and tried to fill the tire. As Serowbot said, the valve sticks to the inward position so all I had was a deflated tire. And... the repair shop was already closed. So, use that goo if you want but don't leave home without a spare valve.

Apparently we use different formulations of sealant.  In 50 years of sealant use, I have not had a clogged or corroded valve.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/10/13 at 05:28:30

I believe there are different formulations of sealant.  Once I bought the cream colored Monkey Grip stuff and used it in my lawn tractor tires.  A few months later I noticed the tires were oblong and mishapen.....kind of like a bagle where one side is larger than the other.  I took the tires off the rim and found the sealer had dissolved the rubber covering the chords and the whole inside of the tire had strings of loose chord.  I had to buy new tires and from then on I only use the Green colored slime.  I have the green Slime in all my mower and tractor tires and I have never had any issues with the valve stems corroding.  I have not used in in a street driven motorcycle - but I have used it in my mowers and dirt bikes as we have lots of vegetation with small thorns that make tiny little holes.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #21 - 06/24/13 at 21:56:36

Thanks for the replies - Today I bought some Ride On and will put the product into my tubes tomorrow - I'll let you know how it works out for me

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #22 - 06/24/13 at 22:42:03

Doug B wrote on 06/24/13 at 21:56:36:
Thanks for the replies - Today I bought some Ride On and will put the product into my tubes tomorrow - I'll let you know how it works out for me

I think you'll like it. So far it has sealed a slow leak completely for more than a year, tire balance is slightly improved, no problems with valves leaking or getting stuck, though with the Ride-on I only have to add air when it gets significantly colder.

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 06/25/13 at 04:58:00

DavidofMA said, "So far it has sealed a slow leak completely for more than a year."

That is one of the huge benefits.  You never have to check the pressure.  If the pressure was good a month ago, it'll be that way a month from now.

I'll admit, though, you are duty bound to check the tires more often because you might be riding around with a nail or screw in it and the sealant is masking the problem by preventing any leaks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:26:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tire sealants

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.