Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4 speed vs 5 speed savages. (Read 175 times)
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
4 speed vs 5 speed savages.
06/05/13 at 19:21:22

I'm looking to buy a Savage.  I had not been considering the pre '93 4 speeds but I have found one that is priced right and in great shape.  I ride a lot on the interstate.  I'm looking for feedback from anyone in the know as to how much of a difference the 5th gear makes on the freeway.  What I would really like to know is what the gear ratio is of the 4th gear of the 4 speed vs the 5th gear of the 5 speed.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 4 speed vs 5 speed savages.
Reply #1 - 06/05/13 at 19:37:06

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 06/05/13 at 19:57:33

I've had no experience with the 4spd bikes but I've spent the last year on a 1996 with the 5spd trans. All told I've racked up close to 8000 miles in that time and much of those miles have been on the Interstate at 65-75 mph. I've had no problems and the power has been enough to manage running in traffic,nothing to brag about,but enough to keep me out of trouble,and that's with a Memphis Slim windshield and oversize saddlebags.

I'd be far more concerned about the starter gear failure problem that seems to be prevelant with the older bikes,basicly anything before 1993/1994.  There is a modification for the 4spd bikes that uses the starter clutches from a later model that makes the 4spd a reliable scooter.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/05/13 at 19:57:50

Sometin don't look right 'bot... I thought the gear ratios for the top end favored the 4 speed...

« Last Edit: 06/05/13 at 22:52:45 by Serowbot »  
WWW   IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #4 - 06/05/13 at 20:03:46

Thanks mod.  Also thanks for not jumping on me for not looking.  I did actually look but I'm unfamiliar with the layout of the forum and was looking in the wrong place.  I did also find looking at the parts fiche in case anyone is interested, that the 4 speed 4th is 0.875 and the 5 speed 5th is 0.885 so not a much of a difference.  I may go for the 4 speed.  I fully realize the LS650 is not a freeway cruiser but I would hope it would be far better than something like a GZ250.  I miss having something as light and fun to ride but I need to be able to go freeway speeds some times and I think the LS650 should fit the bill.

WWW   IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #5 - 06/05/13 at 20:08:29

Zar thanks for the heads up on the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 06/05/13 at 20:18:39

Anytime Quimrider! And as far as "light and fun to ride" you'll be surprised at how nimble the Savage is. Not a sportbike for sure,but it will kill a lot of other cruiser style scooters in the twisties. And you can use ALL power the 650 makes without getting to spend the night in the Cross-bar Hotel!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 06/05/13 at 22:54:31

verslagen1 wrote on 06/05/13 at 19:57:50:
Sometin don't look right 'bot... I thought the gear ratios for the top end favored the 4 speed...

My info, gives the 5spd a slight advantage... nothing to write home about...
The 4 ends up tweeny of 4th and 5th on the on the 5 spd...
4th and 5th are way too close together on the 5spd...

These numbers are all based on borrowed info... but, the 5 speed info did come from an engineer... 4spd was linked to me from a 4 spd member...
All correct as far as I know...
I can update, if contradictory info proves it incorrect...
... charts calculated from....
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

PS... Quim,... it will do highway... it's just happier on rural roads... (way more capable than a GZ250)...
... but, if you are primarily doing highway, I'd look for a little more machine... a Ninja 500 will do highway at an easy lope)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Quimrider
YaBB Newbies

Good, Bad, I'm the
guy with the gun!

Ohio
Reply #8 - 06/06/13 at 03:17:15

I need something that my short legged girlfriend can ride as well.  I had a 94 Kawasaki vulcan 500 for her but it's too tall not to mention it has a very top heavy feel due to it's geometry.

As I posted above the after finding the gear ratios from the parts fiche.  the 4speed has a negligibly taller top gear.  I'm a mechanical engineer and I did a similar gearing analysis on the Kawasaki vulcan 500.  The variable with the largest possibility for error is the calculation of how many revs / mile you are truly getting out of the rear tire.  I assume that accounts for the graph discrepancies since in reality the 4 speed is slightly taller on the top end.  Unless there are differences in the final drive that would account for the discrepancy.

WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 06/06/13 at 04:54:48

Hello Quimrider, this is Maurizio from Rome, Italy...
...one of the very few registered Savage riders this side of the pond.

I have a 4-speed, and as long as you leave the bike as is, she's fine.

Me ?  Huh Not me... no, I had to tweak and quibble and do stuff...
Wink
Well, a few tweaks and mods later, I have 5-8% taller gearing (she now does 55mph at an indicated 50...) so that 3rd gear is the all-around city gear, and I have to push her to at least 40-45 before I can shift into 4th...

So... if I had a 5-speed, I would shift into 4th at a more comfortable 40mph, and still have 5th for slabside cruising... Wink

That's the only real difference... and the starter motor upgrade I did (and strongly suggest if your Savage is to last any more than one or two riding seasons...)

AND... if anyone of y'all has ever seen "The Fiddler on the Roof" and remembers the wonderful song "If I were a rich man..."

Imagine... movie star Sean Connery with his awesome scottish rrrolling RRRs... in big bad boy biker mode...

If I were a rich man,.....................................................If I had a five speed
Yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum..............Whana whana gunna whana whana gunna gunna bang!
All day long I'd biddy biddy bum....................................I would have a gear-ra forrra town,
If I were a wealthy man................................................A gear-ra forrra croo-zi' tow-w-wn
I wouldn't have to work hard.........................................I wouldn't hafta rev hard
Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.....Rumble rumble rorrra rorrra rumble rorrra rorrra bang!
If I were a biddy biddy rich...........................................If I had an extra middle gear
Idle-diddle-daidle-daidle man........................................I'd be cooler cruising town!

Grin Grin Grin

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:33:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4 speed vs 5 speed savages.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.