Send Topic Print
Oil levels... (Read 328 times)
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Oil levels...
06/05/13 at 11:27:43

Today I took off the turn signals to install some new ones... and I did a check up on everything I know to check. I see that the oil levels in the window are higher than they should be when the bike is leveled... I haven't put any oil in... What could be the cause of this?
I did install the raptor component a few days ago... might I have done something wrong in the process?

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Oil levels...
Reply #1 - 06/05/13 at 11:49:06

Did you start it and let it run for a bit before you checked the level?  Oil can drain back into the sump from the oil passages and filter over time.  I am not sure it woudl make a lot of difference.....but the manual cliams you should run it before checking the oil level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 06/05/13 at 15:58:44

There has been much discussion here on oil levels. Some of us run the recommended oil levels while on the side stand, rather than on the level. And from the last I knew, not one has ever leaked or blowed oil from running the higher level.
If however, the higher level is caused by gasoline in the oil, it should be changed out. Gas in the oil is usually cause from a leaking float valve. (needle & seat)

I for one, had better see the oil level somewhere in the window, while on the side stand, and before I ever start it. Your thoughts may differ.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 06/05/13 at 16:04:15

My thoughts do differ. Over filling can cause the oil to foam. Foamy oil does not pump well by the oil pump.

The engineers who designed the engine ran thousand of miles of test to see what worked well. I don't believe they pulled the oil level recommendation out of the air just to put something down.

I follow the recommended oil level. Others have free will to do as they see fit. Smiley

AS

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/05/13 at 17:05:50

Over filling Can cause oil to foam,, So far, everyone who has added oil till it was on the lione AND on the stand Has NOT foamed the oil, because thats not enough to get into the crank,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #5 - 06/05/13 at 17:06:33

Doug wrote on 06/05/13 at 11:27:43:
Today I took off the turn signals to install some new ones... and I did a check up on everything I know to check. I see that the oil levels in the window are higher than they should be when the bike is leveled... I haven't put any oil in... What could be the cause of this?
I did install the raptor component a few days ago... might I have done something wrong in the process?

Doug, the question is: Is the oil level higher than it was the last time you checked it? If so then Routy is right on track, the float needle is not fully seating and allowing the float bowl to overfill and seep into the crankcase. Do you leave the raptor in the on position all the time?

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/05/13 at 17:13:37

If its "Makin oil",,
Its gas..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 06/05/13 at 18:01:49

I'm still trying to get the hang of holding the bike upright while getting down to eyeball the oil level in the window. It was a bit low when I added last night, but still visible in the window. I tried pouring oil in slowly and did get a bit above the top mark, but the window above oil line is still visible. This is with the bike both upright and engine warmed up a bit as recommended. I imagine this is still within the safe zone and doesn't fall into over filling range. Thoughts? Is there some tolerance either way on oil level?

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 06/06/13 at 03:36:23

As I posted above, there is a lot of tolerance.
I dropped my bike because of Suzuski's rediculous way of checking the oil.
I now check it on the side stand.
Or you can hassle the 2x4 trick etc etc if it would make you feel better.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 06/06/13 at 03:40:44

Get a block of wood six to eight inches square and about two and three quarter inches thick, put it under the stand, the bike should be close to vertical then. According to the handbook you should run the engine for a few minutes and then stop it for a few minutes before checking the level.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/06/13 at 05:07:25

According to the handbook you should run the engine for a few minutes and then stop it for a few minutes before checking the level.

& To Me, that makes exactly NO sense..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/06/13 at 05:23:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/06/13 at 05:07:25:
According to the handbook you should run the engine for a few minutes and then stop it for a few minutes before checking the level.

& To Me, that makes exactly NO sense..

The only thing I think this does....is make sure the oil filter and passages are full of oil when you check the level in the sump.  If the bike is parked for a long period of time, the oil can slowly flow past the oil pump and drain most of the oil out of the passages, top half of the oil filter, and all the lines leading up to the cylinder head.  By startng the bike and running it a few minutes the air is purged out and the lines and filter are filled.  Shutting it off and letting it sit for a few mintues won't allow these passages to drain - but it will allow the foam to dissipate and the oil thrown around the inside of the engine to settle down.

Not sure if it makes much difference on a bike that is run regularly.  Out of curiosity I will have to look at my oil level now that I haven't ridden since Monday night......then start the bike and shut if off.....and see if the level changed....I bet it doesn't make 1/16" difference in the window.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 06/06/13 at 05:33:22

Maybe they just want you to get the exhaust really hot to make just one more hazzard while checking oil ! Roll Eyes

Rich
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/06/13 at 05:40:18

Routy wrote on 06/06/13 at 05:33:22:
Maybe they just want you to get the exhaust really hot to make just one more hazzard while checking oil ! Roll Eyes

Now that is a thought.  I have had 3 really nasty burns from hot chrome exhaust pipes.....2 of them occurred while chaning oil.

IP Logged
Doug

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Texarkana, AR
Reply #14 - 06/06/13 at 12:50:05

I appreciate the advice guys. I am having difficulties starting her up to check if that's the cause. I have to take her to a mechanic so I can drain the oil, because I can't get the darn plug unbolted. When I do that I'll see what's up with the starting problem. I know it's not the battery. I just got done fully charging it today and tested it, but she still won't start. Just a simple click is all I get. I think I need to clean the carb. -couldn't hurt- ...and then I guess check the starter solenoid.

"Can't do + won't do = don't do. Can do + will do = do do." xD
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:39:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil levels...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.