Send Topic Print
97mm Piston (Read 182 times)
zx250r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

97mm Piston
06/04/13 at 11:46:22

Hi All, just got a new (to me) 1998 Savage with 7k miles and a Jardine pipe. Looking to do the piston/cam/carb combo and need a ton of advice. I saw that wiseco is out of the 97mm but have found this site to be selling one, any idea what the compression is or if this is the right kit? http://www.accu-products.com/wisecopistonspistonprod_30009.html?added=1

Also where would you get the cam and what jetting range for pilot/main should i use at sea level here in florida? any and ALL advice is greatly appreciated. I have read through and searched the forum and know that Lancer is the guy to ask, so hopefully he won't mind a few pm's from me coming his way. I ultimately plan to do the ryca cafe conversion and perhaps chain drive so keep these in mind. thanks!!!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: 97mm Piston
Reply #1 - 06/04/13 at 13:11:19

Yes that is the right part number.
I have just done the same, which brought me up to just under 700 cc. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367435450
But now that you have advertised this one, grab it quick before someone else here does.
Rare as hens teeth.
Go here for all the info. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006

IP Logged
zx250r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/04/13 at 13:57:02

Thank you for the info. I will post follow up questions in your thread as I cannot pm.

paulmarshall wrote on 06/04/13 at 13:11:19:
Yes that is the right part number.
I have just done the same, which brought me up to just under 700 cc. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367435450
But now that you have advertised this one, grab it quick before someone else here does.
Rare as hens teeth.
Go here for all the info. http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/05/13 at 07:53:12

zx250r:

Before you hop up your bike with a piston, cam, carb, etc......How many miles have you ridden it?  What kind of riding do you do in flatland Florida....backroads or 4 lane highway?  Are you expecting to make this bike as fast as a sport bike?

Before you start spending $ 1,000 - $ 1,500 to increase your horsepower from 30 to........36?......37?.....38?......you need to understand that this engine will not be as fast as a stock multi-cylinder bike.  The engine is old technology and it is built for torque.  It is a lot of fun on country back roads hilly mountain roads, and loves to go between 50 and 60.....faster than that and it starts to show it's weaknesses in engine and chassis design.  It can be ridden for long periods of time at speed when required to do so in stock form.  There are far better bikes to choose if speed is your goal.  As a Cafe' Racer it is a lot of fun.......but making he conversion is a very big commitment and does not require a big piston, cam, or other engine mods to be fun.  I believe you need to ride the bike for a while before you start ordering parts and tearing it apart.

« Last Edit: 06/05/13 at 09:30:16 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zx250r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/05/13 at 13:57:05

Thanks for the insight Dave. She has about 7800miles and I've put about 150 of them on there. I figured I would hop up the motor while doing the cafe conversion as I surely won't want to do it after. I've road raced and dirt raced so competing isn't the purpose, but just to make it more of a street rod than it is being the goal.

I picked up a 97mm piston for $170 and figure doing the cam, bore, cam tensioner etc all at once and have a good baseline on the motor would be nice.

I purposely bought it for the air cooled torquey motor, just sold my husqvarna 511 supermoto. I'm addicted to singles and feel that the savage would be a good project. I picked the bike up fairly cheap and would like to do a value build, not needing the best of everything but not skimping on preventative parts either. So what I'm trying to get here is a laundry list of all parts/mods/labor required to see it through.

Dave wrote on 06/05/13 at 07:53:12:
zx250r:

Before you hop up your bike with a piston, cam, carb, etc......How many miles have you ridden it?  What kind of riding do you do in flatland Florida....backroads or 4 lane highway?  Are you expecting to make this bike as fast as a sport bike?

Before you start spending $ 1,000 - $ 1,500 to increase your horsepower from 30 to........36?......37?.....38?......you need to understand that this engine will not be as fast as a stock multi-cylinder bike.  The engine is old technology and it is built for torque.  It is a lot of fun on country back roads hilly mountain roads, and loves to go between 50 and 60.....faster than that and it starts to show it's weaknesses in engine and chassis design.  It can be ridden for long periods of time at speed when required to do so in stock form.  There are far better bikes to choose if speed is your goal.  As a Cafe' Racer it is a lot of fun.......but making he conversion is a very big commitment and does not require a big piston, cam, or other engine mods to be fun.  I believe you need to ride the bike for a while before you start ordering parts and tearing it apart.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #5 - 06/05/13 at 14:20:01

I have no regrets putting in a larger piston.
It feels a hell of a lot more than just a couple of HP increase,If not twice the power.
I cant produce anything on paper, and nor will I while I run it in.
Don't want any damage rings here thanks. Sad

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/05/13 at 14:59:38

Being a man of many miles... putting in the biggest piston right away leaves fewer options down the road.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 06/05/13 at 15:13:02

I'm not being sarcy Paul, but you have had a clutch issue since installing the larger piston. Hope the issue has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 06/05/13 at 15:18:04

There's been a few done here,.. somebody should get one on a Dyno...

Although,... I know of several that never made it past break-in... and they need to be broke-in before you can test one... maybe it's a Catch-22...
Personally, I wouldn't touch one... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #9 - 06/05/13 at 15:37:40

jcstokes wrote on 06/05/13 at 15:13:02:
I'm not being sarcy Paul, but you have had a clutch issue since installing the larger piston. Hope the issue has been resolved to your satisfaction.

Made a little more adjustment and it seems to have settled down.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/05/13 at 16:01:46

If people here have followed my past upgrades, It is abundantly clear I have no prob throwing money at this bike. Embarrassed
I'm a single bloke who has no other commitments so wasting money is no object.
I personally think the Savage is a wonderful bike with loads of potential.
I have owned multi cylinder sport bikes so I know it doesn't matter how much money I throw at this Savage it will never compete. So I invest my time and money into my Savage simply because i can. Wink
I am not scared to try new things and if they don't work I simply make a note and head into a new direction.This kind of thought has enabled me to run a 170 on the rear,which up until this point was impossible with a stock swingarm.
If this piston doesn't work at least I will have a first hand experience and can share the info with you all.
I had the work done professionally so any failure will not be due to that. I know when I am in over my head, and know my limits. It is important to know ones limit and operate within those boundaries.  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 06/05/13 at 16:35:27

paulmarshall wrote on 06/05/13 at 16:01:46:
This kind of thought has enabled me to run a 170 on the rear,which up until this point was impossible with a stock swingarm.  

I used to say you can't do it...  Now,.. I have to say, you can't do it,.. unless you're from New Zealand... Grin...

It's a magical place, where the impossible becomes possible... they have Hobbits there...
... and a Savage with a 170 rear tire...
Neat!...  Wink...
..(you laced up a new rim didn't you?... is it still a 15"?)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #12 - 06/05/13 at 17:58:56

Its a 16. with the  4mm off set.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/05/13 at 18:22:33

zx250r

OK......just wanted to know what (who) we had to work with, and that you are in touch with reality.  The big torquey single is a blast.....and although it may be the fastest bike across the intersection.....it is not the fastest bike down the block.  There are some people that come to this site with no mechanical experience or aptitude.....and believe that with a few keystrokes we can convert them into ace mechanics and fabricators.  We can provide some experience, technical help, supply sources, and some attempt at humor - but the labor, cash and outcome all depends on the bike owner....or his mechanic.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #14 - 06/05/13 at 18:39:23

Serowbot wrote on 06/05/13 at 16:35:27:
paulmarshall wrote on 06/05/13 at 16:01:46:
This kind of thought has enabled me to run a 170 on the rear,which up until this point was impossible with a stock swingarm.  

I used to say you can't do it...  Now,.. I have to say, you can't do it,.. unless you're from New Zealand... Grin...

It's a magical place, where the impossible becomes possible... they have Hobbits there...
... and a Savage with a 170 rear tire...
Neat!...  Wink...
..(you laced up a new rim didn't you?... is it still a 15"?)...

My apologies I thought this was the 97mm thread I started and not zx250r. Didn't mean to hijack. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:33:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 97mm Piston

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.