Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backfire question... (Read 96 times)
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Backfire question...
05/26/13 at 19:07:09

I installed a Hartman mod on my 99 savage.  I like the sound but I have weak mid range performance and occasional back fires.

I have not open the carb to see what the PO did on did not mod on the carb.   Honestly,  I am a little nervous about taking out the carb.

I have read the tech section for the past hour and I am confused on which way to proceed.

Can anyone tell me if they run an exhaust similar to a Hartman and what mods they have on their carbs?

Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Backfire question...
Reply #1 - 05/26/13 at 19:17:55

Everyone is different, someone else's settings will only get you in the ball park.

Besides, if you don't open it up, you don't know nothing anyway.

sounds like you need the white spacer mod and an adjustment of the idle mixture.

is the idle mixture plug removed?

WWW   IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/26/13 at 19:32:22

The idle mixture screw cover is removed.  So I suspect that PO was attempting something...

The exhaust I removed had six small holes drilled and then plugged with cap screws.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/26/13 at 19:52:01

Removing the carb can be difficult, but you don't really need to.

remove the seat and tank and you'll have plenty of access to the top for the white spacer mod.

use a ratcheting tie down to pull back the bat box slightly and you'll have plenty of room to drop the bowl.

If it's never been apart before, the screws will be extremely hard to remove.  I'd bank on replacing them.  The easy way to break 'm loose while still on the bike is to grab the head with a pair of small vice grips and twist them off.  This will mark them up, but they'll still be useable.  If you hit the threads with some pen oil that'll help too.

Most newb's get overly sensitive over a few pops, depending on what's done to your bike, you may not be able to get rid of them all and have a good running bike.  As long as you don't have any KERPOWs, don't worry about a few pops and poofs.

WWW   IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/26/13 at 20:05:54

I like the idea of working on the carb while it is on the bike!  Once I remove the old Phillips head screws what size cap screws do I use and where should I buy them?

Also, who sells the jets that I need?  I went to my local Suzuki dealer and he stated that he does not sell jets for rejetting.

Thanks again!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/26/13 at 22:36:28

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Savage-S40-LS650-JETSET-/120958651578?pt=Motor...

M5

I'd take 1 screw from the top and 1 from the bottom and go to Ace hardware.

WWW   IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #6 - 05/27/13 at 11:42:34

I've done the whole cutting the TEV spring and it still did nothing for the backfiring. I like the backfire, the big pop when I shut her down tells everyone I've arrived Cheesy

IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/27/13 at 11:49:09

I really appreciate all the good feedback!

I took a close look at the Phillips screws for the bowl and they have "insult" marks indicating they have been removed before.  I think I will order the jets and then for it!

However,  now I notice an excessive amount of smoking from the exhaust when I start up!  Is that a function of reduced back pressure?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 06:28:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.