Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Teaching my wife on a S-40 Suzuki Boulevard. (Read 273 times)
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Wallaceburg Ontario, Canada
Teaching my wife on a S-40 Suzuki Boulevard.
05/25/13 at 13:46:31

We just bought a 2006 S-40 Suzuki Boulevard for the wife.  She feels that the throttle response is very quick, and it makes her feel uneasy.  Is there a way to ease it back a bit??  I taught her on a 100cc Kawasawki, but she hasn't ridden in a long time.  I'm doing baby steps with her to start. She has her license, and knows what to do, it's just that the throttle is very touchy, and it is.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Re: Teaching my wife on a S-40 Suzuki Boulevard.
Reply #1 - 05/25/13 at 15:31:58

You can increase the freeplay of the throttle cable so it takes a little more twist before it engages. That might give the impression of it being less responsive.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/25/13 at 16:23:22

I would not increase the freeplay.....it might allow the slack in the cable to get caught on something or the cable to come loose at either end.  And the throttle will not be any easier to control with slack in it.

The bike has a lot of torque at low rpms, and stuff can happen quickly compared to a 125.  The fact that the throttle is built into a housing that includes the electric controls also makes it difficult to substitute a slower turn throttle.  You might be able to take a stock throttle tube and machine it to a smaller radius....which will pull less cable as the throttle tube turns.

You could install a small piece of tubing on the throttle cable at the carb end that could limit how far the throttle cable can move - which will limit the throttle opening.  Be sure that this tubing cannot bind on anything and cause the throttle to stick in any way.

It might also be possible to install a restrictor plate behind the carb boot to limit horsepower while she is learning - but you will want to take this out before she heads out on the highway and needs some speed.

And lastly.....she should be fine if you let her spend some very careful hours in a parking lot or back roads practicing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 05/25/13 at 17:05:19

If the throttle response is causing her trouble mostly at low speeds it might be helpful to have her ride around in an empty parking lot or someplace similar practicing controlling the bike's speed by slipping the clutch instead of using the throttle at all. If the idle speed is set correctly these bikes will run along at almost 10 mph in first with the throttle closed. It's real easy to get going by easing out the clutch with the throttle closed.

Once she's comfortable doing that have her shift to second and give a little gas. Then third if there is sufficent room. Once she gets rolling and in the higher gears the throttle response won't seem as abrupt.

IMO trying to alter the bike is not a good idea. I think your wife will be better off in the long run if she just gets comfortable with it as it is.  Like Dave said, let her ride around in a safe environment and learn at her own pace and she'll be fine.

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 05/25/13 at 19:23:19

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting.  That is what I am teaching her.  Just to get comfortable with the bike.  I was just looking for some input from other bikers.  It's been awhile since she has ridden a motorcycle, and I explained to her, that it will be baby steps, until she gets accustomed to it.  I am not going to mess with the bike, cause it runs great.  I just started back into riding when I turned 65, and I had to familiarize myself to it all over again.  I guess she was hoping she would re-learn quicker as I did.  But everyone learns at a different pace.  Thanks again for the replies!!  I will be visiting this site often, post if I need some info, or help.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 05/25/13 at 19:56:29

Give her an hour and a half,.......or maybe a day and a half, and she'll be used to it ! Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/25/13 at 21:16:41

After 39 years of being my passenger, this year my wife decided she wanted to learn to ride. In addition to my instruction, I purchased the "Ride Like a Pro" dvds  starting with the one for beginners. I watched them with her & answered any additional questions she had. Mostly the dvds just reinforced what I had already taught her, but she's one of those that it helps to hear it from someone else.
The point is according to her they helped her confidence a lot, & when she took the MSF in March she passed easily. Both of us highly recommend the "Ride Like a Pro" series to anyone looking to improve their riding skills. They are worth the money IMHO. Cool

She learned on the Savage. After the MSF she commented that it was easier to ride than the 125s & 250s the course supplied. I watch her now do things on that bike that some of the guys I've rode with can't do.  Shocked

BTW, has anyone seen a Hyusong 250? Very cool looking little bike that would make a nice first bike. One of my friends has a 650 I rejetted for him that is very fast for a 650 & has been pretty reliable except for the carbs gumming up when he lets it set too long. Smiley

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 05/26/13 at 10:59:22

Can someone tell me if the Clutch in a Suzuki S-40 Boulevard is a wet Clutch??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/26/13 at 11:00:34

yes

WWW   IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 05/26/13 at 11:04:57

Thank you!

IP Logged
Sheriff41

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

O'ahu, HI
Reply #10 - 05/26/13 at 11:19:11

I recommend the Ride Like A Pro videos also.  I bought them years ago and when my wife started riding we watched them.  Motorman Jerry does a good job of explaining and showing things, though the videos can be kind of corny in places.  The newer DVDs are pretty well done.  I loan mine out to fellow riders at work quite a bit and always get good feedback on them.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #11 - 05/26/13 at 11:47:57

Something else that might help would be to shift up into the highest gear you can without bogging the engine.  On any bike, throttle response in 1st gear can quick and result in jerkiness.  For slow speed maneuvers, shift to second right after you get moving.  The higher gear gets the engine into an rpm range with lower torque.  That will slow down the throttle response.  As mentioned earlier, don't be afraid to pull the clutch in or slip it as needed.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 05/26/13 at 14:15:25

Tell her to relax a bit, release the grips some, and to keep her head up while riding. It seems most newbs stare at the handlebars and fixate immediately in front of them, its akin to walking across a 2x4 laying flat on the ground, one foot in front of the other, not really hard to do, but you prop it up a few feet in the air and the same task just became harder....but has it really, no, but our mind adds a false element to it and that is what it fixates on and complicates the task.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #13 - 05/26/13 at 14:23:29

I have my bike running at idle at approximatly 10-15 km/h no need for using the throttle untill your comfortable anyways (in empty parking lots). Slow speed in my opinion is more difficult than fast anyways. Thats how I learned on my dirt bike when i was younger anyways. Good luck to your wife brother. It's cool that you'll always have a riding partner. Smiley

IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 05/26/13 at 15:18:50

We are not going to rush her or pressure her to learn in one day or even  a week.  If it takes all this riding season to learn and get comfortable, then so be it.  I want her to learn to ride, but at her speed.  Thanks again for the helpful info!! Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 04:17:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Teaching my wife on a S-40 Suzuki Boulevard.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.