Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What's wrong with my carb? (Read 695 times)
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Re: What's wrong with my carb?
Reply #30 - 06/07/13 at 10:56:17

Sure is. I used quik steel to cement a screw in tubing. Thanks, though!
On another note, I tightened my TEV cover the other day (it was loose and seeping gas) and tried to start again. It ran for a few seconds before dying (forgot to turn the petcock on!) I flipped the petcock switch and tried to fire her up again. No start, just gas vomiting out of the drain tubes! My air filter had gas on it and a significant amount of fuel had run out of the tubes before I shut the petcock off again. I suppose this means I have a major blockage in my carb, correct?

'87, FREE!, Raptor petcock, 22,000 miles.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #31 - 06/07/13 at 11:03:24

I was scared the first time I pulled my carb but it wasn't so bad...just lay it out on a clean shop rag, go really slow and keep everything in order...if it sat in a barn for 4 years it's probably all varnished up inside and just needs a good cleaning...

Once you get the hang of it you'll be able to pull apart any carb and figure it out...

If you're going to pull the carb then you should replace the screws on the top of the slide and the bottom of the bowl with allen head screws from ACE...makes it much easier to pull things apart later should you need to rejet it.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #32 - 06/07/13 at 20:39:03

Single_Spark wrote on 06/07/13 at 10:56:17:
.....I flipped the petcock switch and tried to fire her up again. No start, just gas vomiting out of the drain tubes!...

Do you mean the two carb vent lines?  When dealing with machinery, the proper vocab is critical.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #33 - 06/07/13 at 20:41:35

Single_Spark wrote on 06/07/13 at 10:56:17:
.....I suppose this means I have a major blockage in my carb, correct?

Not really a blockage, more like an "openage" (as in float needle valve stuck open, most likely).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #34 - 06/07/13 at 21:35:24

Not the vent lines from the carb.

I had a suspicion the float valve might be stuck. I've knocked on the bowl plenty with no change. Is cleaning the carb thoroughly a good first step, or should I go the replacement route? I have to put in an order for the air screw anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 06/08/13 at 04:54:41

Single_Spark wrote on 06/07/13 at 21:35:24:
I've knocked on the bowl plenty with no change. Is cleaning the carb thoroughly a good first step, or should I go the replacement route? I have to put in an order for the air screw anyway.

You should have clened the carb at the first sign of trouble.  You stated the bike has sat 4 years, had rust in the tank, the carb overlfows, and the bike won't run......seems pretty obvious to me that you got a carb that is gummed up.

Here is a thread that shows you what to do.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

Clean your carb and then report back.......

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #36 - 06/08/13 at 07:49:32

Dyna is the only major modification? Let's see, you're only a couple hundred feet, tops, above sea level... so the stock jetting is going to be some kind of lean already (guessing at the elevation, but I know the river is low enough to be affected by the ocean's tides even that far up stream, used to go to Sauvie Island a lot). And Portland gets the same low grade garbage gas as Seattle (tends to have water and sediment in it).

If your T.E.V. cover was leaking, check the valve itself for cracks/pinholes, same with the slide diaphragm. Modern fuel does some not so friendly things to the synthetic rubber used in them.

Sat up for 4 years? Have you gutted and dipped the carb yet? If not, you need to do so, any money and time thrown at a gummed up carb is a waste of both. Pull everything you can out of the main casting, go to NAPA or such and get a bucket of carb dip, soak the carb body for a couple days and then flush it with spray can carb or electrical cleaner until every small passage will cleanly flow.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #37 - 06/22/13 at 23:35:51

I finally got my air screw and components. I'll put everything back together tomorrow and try to fire her up. Excited!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 06/23/13 at 06:20:40

WEll,, Dont be excited when ya start handling that air mix screw,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #39 - 06/23/13 at 18:08:37

The beast is back!

I put the carb back on and did a final check of everything, and she started right up!  I think my idle screw was set a little low before, and that might have been why it wouldn't stay running.

My only concern is the little bit of white exhaust coming out of the middle of the pipe. Is this normal, or do I have an exhaust leak?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #40 - 06/23/13 at 20:51:30

Single_Spark wrote on 06/23/13 at 18:08:37:
....Is this normal....

Not normal.

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #41 - 06/23/13 at 21:54:00

Here is the bike, by the way.

IP Logged
Single_Spark

Here goes nothing...

Portland, OR
Reply #42 - 06/30/13 at 23:06:43

I've had some more problems. It seems my clutch cable has stretched because no matter how I set it, the clutch lever doesn't return to its original position when I let go. Anyone have a reference t the correct length for this cable? I couldn't find it through searching, and I'm thinking about getting the DIY cable kit.

Also, my carb started shooting out gas through the vent Ports again. After I had dipped the carb, I tested my float valve by keeping the bowl off and hooking the carb to the gas tank. I manually adjusted the float height and it shut off as it should. The valve itself, though, seems to have a little play in the pin height. It's slack through about 25% of it's traveling length, then there's resistance. I'm assuming that's not normal.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #43 - 07/01/13 at 09:48:09

If you keep getting junk clogging your float valve, you might try an inline fuel filter.  

I had float valves that flopped all over the place in their bore.  As long as they seal well when they reach the end, I generally don't worry too much about that.

You're, as you already know, having a problem with the float valve sealing and stoping fuel flow into the carb.  Are you getting any junk out of it when you remove it? anything on the little screen above the seat?  Seat and the little angled bit and the end of the moving part both in good condition?
Make sure there are no little pinholes in the float itself.  If it sinks, it won't cut off the fuel.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:22:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's wrong with my carb?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.