It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
"Savage Capitalism"
05/21/13 at 14:56:59

Pope criticizes "savage capitalism" in visit to food kitchen

Source: Reuters

(Reuters) - Pope Francis criticized what he called "savage capitalism" on a visit to a food kitchen on Tuesday, in an address in which he called for the values of generosity and charity to be revived.

"A savage capitalism has taught the logic of profit at any cost, of giving in order to get, of exploitation without thinking of people... and we see the results in the crisis we are experiencing," the pope said.

Francis greeted the men and women coming to the 'Gift of Maria' food kitchen, located at the walls of the Vatican.

The first non-European pontiff in centuries, the Argentine-born pope last week called for financial reform, condemning a "dictatorship of the economy" and a "cult of money".

Francis has set a simpler style for the papacy since taking office in March, shunning traditional ornate garments and living in a guest house instead of the Apostolic Palace. He has said he wants the 1.2-billion-member Catholic Church to defend the poor and to be more austere itself.

You Go Francis!!

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: "Savage Capitalism"
Reply #1 - 05/21/13 at 18:34:04

what do you can what the Pope says Mr. Atheist.....
Glad you're going to take his lessons to heart. Assume we'll see you at the next anti-abortion march.....

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/21/13 at 18:51:32

WebsterMark wrote on 05/21/13 at 18:34:04:
what do you can what the Pope says Mr. Atheist.....
Glad you're going to take his lessons to heart. Assume we'll see you at the next anti-abortion march.....

That's because the message is right, regardless of the messenger or my allegiance to the messenger.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 05/22/13 at 07:21:22

Hmmm,,, the Pope "almost" has it right ( he's right there is a problem and it is greed)

I don't think it is as simple as the pope would like to portray... its not capitalism... its corporate capitalism (corpratism??)

Let me explain how I derive that:

Waayyy back before the USA was just a wet dream to some Spainard, a group approached the King of England with a new idea ( and currently un-supported by law) method for raising money and creating large financial projects: the corporation. The king was very dubious for two reasons: 1) these guys were smarter/more wary and 2) they wanted HIM as principal investor ( ie its HIS money).
The King not being stupid then made a LAW: that all corporations must act at all times and in all cases with the shareholders best interest .. after all the shareholders collectively OWN the corporation. That law exists TODAY in every country with regards to corporations.

Now, at its surface the law seems fair and just. The logic is not incorrect. But .. here hundreds of years later and we see the problem(s) that the law creates.
1) By stating that a corp must always put the best interest of the shareholder first, corporations are falling into a trap of attempting to always have ever increasing returns. Corporations faced with doing something with a human conscious/moral or shareholder interest MUST do whats in the best interest of the shareholder.  
2) The corporation "runs" the business and makes the decisions. But really, the shareholders OWN the company. But when decisions are made that are counter to many moral ideals... shareholders are not held accountable. "No ONE is guilty of the decision.. because we let corporation make the decision". But the corporation must do what is best for shareholder... so really the decision IS made shareholders.

So there it is. Examples abound.. but here s recent one that caught my attention.
I own a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. In recent years Toyota has made many recalls.. many many recalls. They did this because Federal laws can make it very costly if a car maker knows there is an issue but does nothing about it.
So what happened? The shareholders SUED Toyota for actions that cause stock prices to drop. That's right the SHAREHOLDERS did not want the corporation to admit to the issues because that dropped their stock value. AND THEY SUED based on the Law first put forth by the King of England.

I am very much a capitalist... corporations... NOT so much.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/22/13 at 17:14:12

Anyone making $$$ is a "Capitalist" according to their teaching,,
They are as yet unable to distinguish corporatism & crony capitalism.,
& honest capitalism. Yet, every one here who hates capitalism wants to go to work & get paid,, its enough to make a sane man crazy..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #5 - 05/22/13 at 18:19:16

I worked for the federal government for 43 years. I never paid a cent into Social Security and so I will never receive a cent from SS.... SS is an entitlement that I am NOT entitled to. Those who worked and PAID into SS for their entire working lives are ENTITLED to SS. Why do so many politicians call SS a free Gov. Handout when it's a benefit the workers EARNED, and in many instances it's the ONLY thing they will have to live on in their old age.

BTW JOG as a Fed, am I a "Capitalist"?...just asking.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/22/13 at 18:25:54

You realize just how out of context that is, right? Youre outta your mind,
My post stands,
You talk ill of capitalism, yet, you sold your time for $$$, & what is more capitalist than that?
You wanted to get paid for your labor, You wanted a profit, at the end of the day. Then you go talking nuts about how eeevil capitalism is..
Much of what is called capitalism IS evil;,, but what you people cal;l capitalism IS NOT CApitalism,, its criminal behavior disguised AS capitalism.

& because so few can manage to grasp the distinction,. most people ( the same people who fail to see the differences noted above) also fail to grasp the differences between money & currency & believe the fed is good.. YOu ARE intelligent enough to grasp it, yet, its like you all choose to remain in some kinda cloud of dumb,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 05/31/13 at 00:28:30

Star worked for the Federal Government and put his life on the line for us almost every day. His situation is different. He didn't work for Exxon Mobil or Goldman Sachs. You may not like his politics but he did more for his country and fellow countrymen than probably anyone on this forum. What he did for this country was good and a much needed service. He has a right to say the Fed is good just like we have right to say what we want to about the Feds. He has more experience working for them than we do. I get frustrated with the government all the time and I mouth off but not everything the Federal government does is wrong, they just don't do it my way LOL.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 05/31/13 at 03:34:09

"Wealth without humility is toxic"    look it up if you must, you either understand its implications, or you do't.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 05/31/13 at 05:50:18

Humility and this forum go together like onions and pound cake.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/31/13 at 11:00:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/22/13 at 17:14:12:
Anyone making $$$ is a "Capitalist" according to their teaching,,
They are as yet unable to distinguish corporatism & crony capitalism.,
& honest capitalism. Yet, every one here who hates capitalism wants to go to work & get paid,, its enough to make a sane man crazy..

that's because there's no such thing as honest capitalism, the free market in your head has never, and will never exist, people with money make the rules period. the scale may differ, but the concept is the same. it's not crony capitalism, it's crony democracy.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 05/31/13 at 12:06:23

Midnightrider wrote on 05/31/13 at 00:28:30:
Star worked for the Federal Government and put his life on the line for us almost every day. His situation is different. He didn't work for Exxon Mobil or Goldman Sachs. You may not like his politics but he did more for his country and fellow countrymen than probably anyone on this forum. What he did for this country was good and a much needed service. He has a right to say the Fed is good just like we have right to say what we want to about the Feds. He has more experience working for them than we do. I get frustrated with the government all the time and I mouth off but not everything the Federal government does is wrong, they just don't do it my way LOL.

You will of course show me what Ohhh so scary country we have been protected from in the last, ohh, say,, 30 years?

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 05/31/13 at 17:08:46

Read it again Jog, I haven't said anything about a scary country. Star and I disagree a lot but I still like that dam Yankee LOL. We communicate on the side every now and then and he did a needed dangerous job for the government and that's all I'm ever gonna say about that. He's not the woosy liberal a lot of you think he is. He's seen more death than anyone on this forum, I fully understand why he no longer has any use for guns and war and I respect his opionion for those reasons.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 05/31/13 at 21:48:04

I dont believe our military has been used for its proper intent since WWII. I owe no one a Thank YOu for their "service", I do wish to apologize to all of them for having been put in positions that the People of America didnt need them in as protectors of our rights & freedoms, WE had no business in any of these military excursions, IMO,. & BTW, I AM a vet. I joined in 73.
Thats the point I was making,, OUr good people have been used & used wrongly, IMO.,. & what ever became of "To the victor go the spoils"?
Or have we just not won in the last 40 or so years? I dunno, but I get NO "warm fuzzy" when I see our military. I USED to,, but,, seeing where we are & what we are doing took all that away..

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 06/01/13 at 14:21:38

"I owe no one a Thank YOU for their "service."

...well I owe you a thank you JOG....for your service.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:42:48

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › "Savage Capitalism"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.