Send Topic Print
Turn signal kludge (Read 93 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Turn signal kludge
05/15/13 at 21:29:29

A little while back I mentioned that I had a '79 SuziQue GS 850 with a blown turn signal module (why did they do it that way anyhow?) and somebody mentioned a work around using an automotive turn signal/blinker relay. I still have no turn signals on the GS, but would also like to perhaps, maybe, possibly, likely do a mod like that for the 650 AND for the trike build I'm still trying to get the nerve up for using the front end off the 850 - maybe.

So what I'm asking is could/would/should somebody come up with a basic/generic wiring diagram for just such a project. Pretty sure I have the concept straight in my brain but would like some verification from them that knows just to avoid an unplanned "Big Bang Theory" of my own making. The only thing worse than the smell of singed hair is the smell of burned wire insulation. And maybe the front yard of a frat house after graduation. And of course . . . But I digress.

Jack

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Turn signal kludge
Reply #1 - 05/16/13 at 05:36:06

The basic turn signal circuit is pretty simple. Power is fed via the ignition or accessory switch to one side of the turn signal flasher unit, whether mechanical or electronic. The other side of the flasher is wired to the center of the turn signal switch, which may be thought of as Left - Off - Right. In Off, the circuit stops there. All the turn signal lamps on the Left side are wired to the Left side of the switch, and same for Right. When the switch is set to, say, Left, the circuit runs from battery through flasher through through switch to Left lights (in parallel) to battery return. The flasher simply interrupts the circuit every so often to make the lights flash.

The flasher relay is usually rated for a certain current. Less (one light burns out) often causes it to stop flashing; more (the extra light on the boat trailer) often causes it to flash too fast. So called "heavy duty" units usually don't care how many lamps they flash. Replacing incandescent lamps with LEDs drastically reduces the required current and may cause flashers to work incorrectly.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Turn signal kludge
Reply #2 - 05/17/13 at 18:05:15

So . . .  if I want to switch over to LED bulbs due to extra lights on the hard luggage and our wimpy charging systems, am I correct in guessing (I hate to assume anything) that they also make flashers for that purpose? I know I can order LED replacement bulbs with the bayonet type bases, just doesn't seem to be an item that the auto parts stores carry.

Guess it's off to a parts store to see what's available in the flasher department.

Thanx for the clarifying explanation.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 02:06:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal kludge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.