Send Topic Print
What to buy! (Read 437 times)
Gardner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What to buy!
05/09/13 at 04:10:30

I am looking for comments or advise from you learned members of th is forum. I am in the process of shopping for a used S40 and have found two for sale close by. My problem is this one is a 2007 with 3600 Klm the other is a 2010 with 19000 Klm both appear in  mint shape.  The 2010  has a small windshield and the 07 comes with a sissy bar and rack not installed as well as a new helmet. Which would you chose  and why and is there anything I should be looking for. There is only $500 diff between the two.
How about it I would like some feedback.

Thanks ,RW Smiley

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: What to buy!
Reply #1 - 05/09/13 at 05:13:27

Condition and Maintenence are the very first thing to check! Ask the sellers to show you the maintence records and compare which one was better cared for. If that seems equal between the bikes,ask the owner of the 2010 if the cam chain has been replaced yet as with the mileage you quote the chain is due for inspection/replacement.

If I was choosing between the two I'd go for the 2007 because of the lower miles/klm if otherwise the condition was equal. The older bike may even save you a few $$ on insurance and registration Wink

Good luck and keep us posted!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #2 - 05/09/13 at 07:22:00

Go for either bike but have him throw in the sissy bar, rack and helmet.  If you go for the 2010 You can do the Verslavy instead of replacing the Cam Chain.  You can probably get another 20K miles out of that chain.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Gardner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/10/13 at 04:21:53

I had posted a thank for the response re my up coming purchase and for some reason it has not shown up.  I am waiting for the dealer that has the2010 model to call me back after he hears from the prev owner about maintenance records.  One thing I noticed which I thought strange was the exhaust from the motor on the 2007 model was discoloured from heat ! Yet on the 2010 which had more than double the miles there was no indication of this .

Cheers ,
RW

IP Logged
Gardner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/10/13 at 04:30:45

I am wondering if perhaps the prev owner may have had the pipe changed prior to the trade. Has  anyone one up with a fix for the hard seat  perhaps a sheepskin cover might offer some comfort has anyone come up with any changes that would help the firmness.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/10/13 at 07:27:34

The older one isnt old enough to have the age affect anything other than tires, IMO. The newer one is borderline on cam chain attention. As noted, the Verslavy is the way to go there. Either one sounds okay, but you do need to know what work has been done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #6 - 05/10/13 at 07:47:55

If it was me I would go with the bike with lower miles.  It is only a couple years older and it isn't old enough to be having rotten seals and such.  If both bikes are in similar condition such as Tires, Condition of the tank (No dents), Seat condition, Scratches and dings.  Then I would value the bike with lower miles a good 500 to 800 more than the high mileage bike.

It is however easy to swap speedometers and therefore fake the mileage on this bike.  Just be sure you get a good feeling from the seller.  The only way to really tell is open her up and look at the cam chain and adjuster.

My opinion either bike has a muffle swap, if it has the air mix screw exposed so it can be tuned up, or if the seller knows what oil has been put in the bike, maintenance records, then that bike has been taken care of and you should get that one.

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 05/10/13 at 07:53:42

Guys, he's talking KILOMETERS, cut that in half (roughly) for the miles on the machine. At best, 1/2 way to Versy on the 2010, rings barely seated on the 2007.

Look the one you are interested in over with a fine tooth comb and a magnifying glass. You'll see the bike's true condition pretty easily. Soot around the exhaust port, oil staining at gasketed surfaces, sand in nooks and crannies... even the best pre-sale detailing misses something.

If you are dead set on the 2010, get new tires installed before it leaves the dealership. 3 years is sufficient for the factory IRC tires to be rotten.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/10/13 at 08:08:39

Yea, dont just walk around it, get down & look. Take a flashlight. You dont wanna find any surprises once its home,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 05/10/13 at 10:29:40

Well at least try to reduce the suprises   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #10 - 05/10/13 at 13:05:18

Buy both!!! Why have one when you can have two at double the price??? Grin Grin

If there is anyway you can swing a dual purchase and can perform basic and intermediate maintenance reliably then go fo both. You will always have a ride!!

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 05/11/13 at 02:19:36

Where are you Gardner? Kms must be outside USA.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Gardner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/11/13 at 03:02:45

In answer to the question re my location I am in Moncton ,New Brunswick Canada we are located approx 180 miles north os Bangor ,Maine and 40 miles from Nova Scotia border.

I guess the salesman at the dealer with the 2010 model has had bigger fish to fry as he has not got back to me yet. I am still wondering why the exhaust is so blue on the 07and not discoloured on the 2010.  The miles on the 2010 would be 12,000 so whoever had it certainly used it. Smiley

IP Logged
Gardner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/11/13 at 03:06:16

I have found out the 07 is with the second owner a lady and she only put about 60 miles on it last summer because she was unable to ride so chances of getting much maintenance info there are slim. As to the other on I am still waiting. Huh

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 05/11/13 at 04:04:37

I wouldn't sweat the pipe being blue on the 07', pipes turn blue. Sometimes it's from heat typically running lean, sometimes its just from oils, wax or residue left on the pipe then heated up. You can always use Blue Job on it and clean it off.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:38:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to buy!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.