Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
High mileage Savage/S40... do's and don'ts? (Read 330 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
High mileage Savage/S40... do's and don'ts?
05/08/13 at 18:50:24

I don't know about you guys, but I like to squeeze every bit of mileage out of my vehicles. My last vehicle, a '93 Toyota 4x4 pickup finally bit the dust after a healthy 328,000 miles. Worst part it was the frame that rotted away, not the motor and clutch, both original. I now have a Subaru Outback with 212,000 I am looking to get to 500,000 out of, provided the salty NE roads don't get to it first.

Now, more to the point, my Savage is my first bike, and there is a sentimental value to that. I have vowed to never sell it, and I stand by that. I love its simplicity, the sound and the overall uniqueness of the bike. Ride it until it just won't go any more has always been my motto. You guys with the high mileage Savage, any advice you can offer? What is a reasonable expectation of mileage? I saw youzguyz has 100k on his, which seems like an great benchmark, considering he never had to do any major engine work.

I currently have 8450 on mine... Got a long way to go...  Cheesy

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: High mileage Savage/S40... do's and don'ts?
Reply #1 - 05/08/13 at 18:55:53

Put Versy's cam chain adjuster on it,... and a Raptor petcock...
Change the oil every 2500 miles... with a good ZDDP oil...
Don't break anything...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #2 - 05/08/13 at 19:05:43

Serowbot wrote on 05/08/13 at 18:55:53:
Don't break anything...
Wink...

Got my raptor petcock ready and waiting! Its sitting in the garage for when the stock one finally quits. I've been lurking around here quite a bit and it seems like at least 50% of those phantom issues people have are with those crappy vacuum petcocks. If this bike was designed with an Achilles heel, its that.

Did my first oil change a few weeks ago. I was expecting something more involved than it actually was. Make sure you don't lose that spring, and make sure the hole faces the inside. As for the oil, I went with the highest ZDDP oil I could find at the Suzuki dealer. In the future, I'll be getting this elsewhere, because it was near $10 a quart.

What exactly is the Versy cam chain adjuster? I saw the post on it... how to install, where guys have them set at, etc. If it's going to make my bike ready for the long haul, awesome, I'm down, I just want to understand the why. I know that if the cam chain breaks, its bad news...

Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/08/13 at 19:17:33

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #4 - 05/08/13 at 19:35:53

I'll be scraping my change together, but thats definitely worth it IMHO. I love how the best parts for this bike aren't made by Suzuki...

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/08/13 at 20:41:04

I'd stick with the paper air filter, plenty of oil changes, and a fuel filter.
change out your brake fluid when it discolors.

being you've already had issues with a frame rusting out, I'd pour the liquid version of naval jelly into the frame and slosh it around.  and paint the frame.

repack the wheel bearings if you can, not sure if they are sealed.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 05/08/13 at 20:42:24

My first one (96 Savage) allways had a knock in the head , (also what finally killed it).  
Come to find out  these engines need to idle at no lower than 1200 rpm.   They will get down to half that , but  ---  no oil will get to the head at low idle.   The cylinder on my old one had -" 0" - ring grove at 43,000 miles.   My second one (2007) still sound like a new one at 14,000 miles . Smiley    

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 05/09/13 at 01:32:57

I do not why I have had not one repair on my 002 savage. It just keeps running and thats Ok with me. I use 50 wt oil and change it every 1,000. I'm still on my second cam chain and I just turned 50,000 miles. I hope to put at least 5,000 more on before this fall. The cam chain scares me but it runs perfect and I hear no rattle from that side of the engine. It has never had a oil leak either.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/09/13 at 02:08:58

For what it's worth, I started out with Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil for a few oil changes, then went to Rotella T6.
I try to change it around 5,000 miles, but sometimes too busy riding and go around 7,000.
I have a verslavy, raptor, use the paper air filter.

In my opinion, the worst thing you can do to a motorcycle is let it sit.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 05/09/13 at 05:35:05

quoting youzguyz "the worst thing you can do to a motorcycle is let it sit".

Only one thing worse........letting someone borrow it Shocked.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #10 - 05/09/13 at 05:51:49

All pretty good advice. I am pretty religious about changing oil (my Toyota didn't get over 300k on prayers and good intentions). The versy is the next major thing I plan on doing. However, why the paper filter? I'm currently using a K&N in the stock airbox, and I use K&N in all my vehicles (The ability to wash, oil and reuse sold me).

As for the idle, I am aware that a low idle means oil isn't running throughout the engine. This ain't no Harley, don't treat it like one! I think the biggest problem I'm having right now is finding a mechanic with experience on these bikes. True, they aren't as involved as say, a late model Sportster, but they are specific as to what they need and nobody I've met thus far has really wowed me with their knowledge. The guys down the street from me admit they haven't seen many big singles come through. Time will tell who will be helping me with the bigger repairs. My biggest disadvantage is that since this is my first bike, I do not have any perspective on what a proper running Savage should sound like. I had a pretty through inspection done a few weeks ago, and I wasn't alerted to anything that I should worry about.

As for the rust, my bike doesn't see bad weather, and after a season of being exposed to the elements, it now has a happy home in a garage. Finding a place with a decent garage around here was much harder than I thought!

Nobody borrows my bike. Its bad enough my sig. other uses my Chevy, but thats the way of things. If anything happens to my bike, its going to be my fault.

WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 05/09/13 at 07:44:12

Go to your nearest bike shop that carries dirt bike accessories. Get a fuel cap silicone vent line. Swap it in place of the stock vacuum line. It will hold up to the radiant heat off the back of the engine much better/longer than the stock line does.

Go to the nearest "tuner" car shop with your fuel line and get a silicone replacement for the same reason, plus the fact that the stock "fuel" line is actually a chunk of vacuum hose...

Inline fuel filter is a must. I prefer the metal type with a porous bronze "stone" over a generic paper or plastic cored throw away type. If you want a throwaway type, get one suitable for 69-71 Dodge trucks with a 318. Huge, but it works very well. I get a few months at a time out of one on a truck with a rusty gas tank. The filter is available for 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 fuel lines.

On the old forum we had two very memorable Savage failures... one snapped the con rod at 178K miles and change... the other one grenaded the engine at a touch over 200K miles... and they were both the early 4 speed type.

My odometer quit working years ago at 15K and change showing. The engine/transmission are flawless, the electrical system failed in 2010. The bike is a 1998 model that was already ridden hard. Good oil, decent filters, proper belt tension (tool sets them too tight), properly inflated tires for YOUR weight and riding style, making the bike fit you, etc are critical to getting a long service life out of them. Bikes over 500cc have a rated service life of 5 years or 15K miles... the 1500 Drifter is going to roll 90K in the next couple weeks or so... it was purchased in 2007 with 1600 miles on it, it's a 1999 model. Will likely need a clutch at 100K or so. My friend actually rode it from WA to TN in 2011 when he moved, and he does not own a four wheeled vehicle.

Subaru Outback? EJ22 engine is nearly indestructible, the EJ25 and the 6 cylinder versions, not so much... We've got a first year with an EJ22 and an automatic transmission sitting in the driveway. It's last real trip was Memphis to Nashville and back. 226K miles or so and it was done. Body metal is flawless, powertrain doesn't want to play anymore. Not throwing any codes, pretty sure the ecu decided to tell us "F U"...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #12 - 05/09/13 at 10:19:50

TheSavagePJ wrote on 05/08/13 at 19:05:43:
Serowbot wrote on 05/08/13 at 18:55:53:
Don't break anything...
Wink...

Got my raptor petcock ready and waiting! Its sitting in the garage for when the stock one finally quits. I've been lurking around here quite a bit and it seems like at least 50% of those phantom issues people have are with those crappy vacuum petcocks. If this bike was designed with an Achilles heel, its that.

Why wait till the original fails when you are miles away from home?? Especially since you have the new unit in-hand!! I switched mine at 950 on the OD and should never have to worry about that particular problem.

If you believe in preventative oil changes then do a preventative petcock switch.  Smiley

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/09/13 at 19:24:23

Next time ya have a tire off, undercoat inside the fender. Others have already said things I woulda said & WD said a lot I never woulda thot of.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #14 - 05/10/13 at 06:29:22

All pretty good info, I think. Dane, I definitely hear where you are coming from about changing the petcock before its too late, but there is the cheapskate in me that says "if its still working, why change it?" I'll get around to it, but as of now, my bike has been parked due to lack of turn signals, they came yesterday, so now its time to get some riding in after waiting a week for shipping.

WD, fuel filters seem like a great idea. Honestly, I do not know why our bikes were never designed with one in the first place. That little screen in the petcock is supposed to do the job? Silicone fuel and vacuum lines is also a great idea, I'll probably change them out when I do the raptor.

I think anything over 100k is pretty amazing for a bike that goes for under $6k new.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:25:20

General CategoryThe Cafe › High mileage Savage/S40... do's and don'ts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.