Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new here, and i have an issue with an older savage (Read 357 times)
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
new here, and i have an issue with an older savage
05/07/13 at 14:36:31

hello all, im sure this has been covered somewhere but im having some problems that i can't quite figure out. i have a 1995 suzuki savage, makuni carb. bike is 100% stock besides the exhaust. ive owned the bike for over a year now, and has ran fine until recently (right after i finished all the body work and got it back together). issue im having is as follows:

when starting the bike, it idles fine. if i pull the choke out, the rpms will drop rather than increase. also, with the choke in, after i get in the higher rpms in each gear, she will cut out, sputter, and basically skip.

if i leave the choke out, she runs alot better at higher rpms, but will still stutter at the top of each gear. struggles to get to 60 mph.

here is a list of what ive tried:
new air filter
checked all of the boots for leaks, no leaks
no fuel in airbox
removed carb, cleaned it and all the jets.
ran the vacuum line troubleshoot to test my petcock, i got no result by closing the vacuum lines.
remove air cut-off valve, replaced with new, and even tried a washer in it.

im stuck at this point. if anyone has any ideas ill try anything. trying to get it worked out so i can sell her. so long as i quit getting attached to it.

thanks all,
joshua

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: new here, and i have an issue with an older sa
Reply #1 - 05/07/13 at 14:56:10

check the slider diaphragm and spring, newb's don't always get them to seat right.

all stock except exhaust?  wassup?

what jets are you running?

There are 3 positions on the choke, all the way out, halfway, and all the way in.
halfway should give idle speed increase.

WWW   IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #2 - 05/07/13 at 15:00:46

the original pipe it had was rusting out and falling off, so it got a dyna fish tail conversion, however, the carb has not been changed for this pipe. but it ran fine for almost a year like that, just a little rich. yes, the half pull on the choke brings up the rpms, but if i fully pull it out, it drops to almost dying, then will eventually rev back up after sitting for a bit. i checked the diaphram on the top of the carb, had to reseat it twice myself to make sure i got it right. as for the jets, that are stock.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #3 - 05/07/13 at 17:07:36

josh.wingo wrote on 05/07/13 at 14:36:31:
"ran the vacuum line troubleshoot to test my petcock, i got no result by closing the vacuum lines."

You plugged both ends and test rode the bike?

"remove air cut-off valve, replaced with new, and even tried a washer in it."

just to be clear, when you say "air cut-off valve" are you refering to the TEV? If so, you actually bought a new one? or do you have a spare carb to pull parts off?

The symptoms you describe sound like fuel starvation, a classic faulty petcock issue. If we can try one possibility at a time, then quick test drive. Hopefully that way you can systematically get it running right.  Smiley

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #4 - 05/07/13 at 17:50:20

yes sir, i did plug both the line itself coming from the petcock, and the nipple from the carb.

and yes, sorry. i am referring to the TEV. i had a second carb that had a good one in it. no rips or pin holes that i could find.

i tried both of the above seperately. did the vacuum lines first, then went to the TEV from there.

IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #5 - 05/07/13 at 17:56:41

something i may want to mention. i did not have an issue with this bike until i removed the tank and painted it. in the process, the petcock was removed, and probably sat on a shelf for a few weeks. after i put it all back together, it ran fine for a few days. then this began.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/07/13 at 18:28:31

Something odd here...
Low speed symptoms say too rich,.. high speed has lean symptoms...

Our "choke" BTW,.. is actually an enrichment valve... (It adds some fuel, rather than blocking some air)...(similar effect,.. just going at it from the other end)...
..."choke" is easier to type... Grin...

... and this seems to have come from some work you did...
Basically,.. fuel delivery seems to be off balance...
...(which sounds like a slide problem... that's the only part that is moving,.. besides the throttle plate)...
I would double check that it is moving up and down smoothly... they can sometimes get a tacky build-up on them...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #7 - 05/07/13 at 18:57:33

we are talking the big black slide piece that the spring pushes down on correct? if so, ive already checked, and has no issues whatsoever, especially after i gutted and cleaned out the carb just after this occured. it is seating correctly, all seals are intact, and it slides up and down without any hesitation. only work i did to the bike prior to this issue was remove all the sheet metal, and repaint it. then re-installed. im kind of leaning to the petcock at this point, because its the only thing that i cant be 100% sure of, and the only thing i removed before this issue occured. plus if i replace it, i wont have to worry about it being a pain in the ass to take the tank off again if need be Grin

pardon my lovely, idiotic technical terms.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 05/08/13 at 01:51:19

Just reread and saw where you said it ran ok for a few days after painting. I would try a new spark plug.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #9 - 05/08/13 at 05:18:11

ill check the plugs this evening.

IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #10 - 06/11/13 at 14:23:19

sorry for the wait, got busy with an old goldwing. replaced the plugged and made no difference, so i went ahead and ordered a new petcock, it showed up yesterday, so ill get around to installing it at some point.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/11/13 at 14:53:11

NO! Return it, unopened, get a Raptor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #12 - 06/12/13 at 09:18:22

i guess i should have specified. i ordered a raptor petcock. i installed it today, and it made absolutely no difference. yes, i remember to plug the vacuum hole on the carb  Grin. any other suggestions? im getting kind of fed up with it after ive done all the work to it. anyone want to buy a problem child savage???? LOL

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #13 - 06/12/13 at 09:24:21

josh.wingo wrote on 06/12/13 at 09:18:22:
anyone want to buy a problem child savage???? LOL

Where are you located?  Undecided Maybe another board member is close by.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #14 - 06/12/13 at 09:52:51

located in effingham kansas, northeast corner of the state, by atchison and topeka. thought some of you might be interested in what she looks like so here she is!

100_1587.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:14:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new here, and i have an issue with an older savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.