Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new here, and i have an issue with an older savage (Read 357 times)
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Re: new here, and i have an issue with an older sa
Reply #15 - 06/12/13 at 09:53:11

and the other side

100_1586.JPG
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #16 - 06/12/13 at 11:55:45

TWO savages, he has  Shocked and that looks like a gl1100 with some kind of harley pipes and fender. I have a naked gl1000 with 1100 carbs, dyna coils, and jardine headers. a pain to sync 4 carbs but goes like stink. Grin Do I also see savage turn signals on the front of that wing?

josh.wingo wrote on 05/07/13 at 14:36:31:
when starting the bike, it idles fine. if i pull the choke out, the rpms will drop rather than increase. also, with the choke in, after i get in the higher rpms in each gear, she will cut out, sputter, and basically skip.

To me, it sounds like the idle circuit is fine, maybe a little rich. The soot on your rear brake cable also suggests it is rich. It should die some with the choke all the way out in warmer weather. I only need to use full choke when it is very cold and none at all in the summer. You could tune the air screw leaner, but you might experience more backfire. How long did you have it apart to paint? Is it significantly warmer now than when it ran ok?

Dying in the higher rpms implicates the main jet. What is your stock size? With a new filter and different exhaust, it might not be enough now. Maybe the filter is not seated right, allowing more air in. That would be most apparent at high rpm where it is sucking more air in. Also, could some little bit of junk gotten down there and blocked the jet while you were taking the tank on and off? I don't suspect it was the petcock because it would not be draining the carb bowl that fast by just touching the higher rpm between gear shifts, but you've got that replaced now.

Disclaimer: This is just like, my opinion, man. I have been known to be wrong before, but don't tell my girlfriend. Tongue

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 06/12/13 at 12:11:25

PLay with the choke while youre riding,, see how it acts at different speeds, gears.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #18 - 06/12/13 at 12:18:14

yes i have two of them, the one in the back is a late 80s model that i dont have a title on, so it is being parted out. yeah the gl1100 in the back is my baby, i wrecked it a few years ago and now its finally reaching its finished stage. no, those are some aftermarket turn signals i found on amazon for less than 20 bucks for a set of 4, they are killer looking though. the pipe was on it before i took everything apart, and it was running fine then, with a crappy air filter in it. i checked the filter, it is seated correctly. it probably is running rich, i get a back fire every now and then but not often. yeah, the rpm's drop when i pull the choke out. i took all the skins off of it maybe 4 months ago, had them painted in back on in about 2 months i think. it is much warmer now than it was when it ran fine, but when i bought the bike it was mid summer and hot then and ran fine then. as for stock size on the jet, i have no idea. i dont like messing with carbs because im not very experienced with it, i may have even missed a jet somewhere when i cleaned it last time. the inside of the tank isnt the greatest looking, and i imagine while sanding and moving the tank around i broke loose some crap in the tank. i began thinking maybe im hitting the revv limiter, but that would mean something has gone bad to cause my revv limiter to cut out at a lower rpm than previously. and if that was the case, wouldnt it also do it in neutral? i just dont quite understand why whilst in neutral and i redline it with no issues, but i can barely even use each gear while riding before it starts to cut out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/12/13 at 12:25:41

An engine that revs up in neutral but not under load is starved for fuel,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #20 - 06/12/13 at 12:26:30

so the petcock has been dealt with, looks like im going to have to remove that darn carb again. maybe ill take it to someone who knows what they are doing LOL

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 06/12/13 at 12:29:22

Not that much too it. Smiley

http://imgur.com/a/knj1F

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #22 - 06/12/13 at 12:37:24

yeah, but ive taken it apart before, and thought i had cleaned it, but it made no difference. local shop here wants 65 bucks to take it apart and boil it. i dont think thats too bad really. im just worried that something else is wrong and i could be wasting money. especially considering im trying to get it running right so i can sell it.

IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #23 - 06/12/13 at 12:44:25

also, what jet would i need to replace to compensate for the new pipe? and what size would ya'll suggest?

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #24 - 06/12/13 at 13:23:58

You can't miss the main jet if you have the carb open, its the biggest one there, staring right at you. Mine was a 143 (?) stock and i replaced it with a 150 with just a harley slash cut and everything else stock. Ran great and got the best mpg ever.

This carb is simple enough that you can fully clean it easily yourself. Save the money to get a good case of beer as a reward.

FYI, no rev limiter on this bike, so be careful. Undecided

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
josh.wingo

effingham, kansas
Reply #25 - 06/12/13 at 15:49:48

yeah after doing some research myself i come to find the lack of limiter. think ill just buy a rebuild kit for the carb while im at it, replace the main jet, and clean the hell out of everything one more time. if it still runs like crap after that, it'll become cannon fodder  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:27:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new here, and i have an issue with an older savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.