Send Topic Print
Clutch issue... (Read 102 times)
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Clutch issue...
05/07/13 at 03:11:34

Hey all.  So I finished my top end rebuild (new cam chain and guides, big jug, camshaft) and am really pleased with the way she runs with one exception.  The Clutch is acting....weird.  The shift lever doesn't return properly after shifting up (down is fine), and I have to tap it back into place before the next gear.  Also, after it heats up, I seem to be getting a false neutral light; as in the neutral light on the dash is green, but its still in gear when I release the clutch and so she jumps and stalls.  It is also a lot harder to get that neutral light (and into neutral period) on shut down than before.  It hasn't slipped while running in any discernable way, so I'm stumped.

When I removed the clutch basket to install the cam chain and guides, I ran a bit of wire through the center of the assembly so I wouldn't mix anything up on re-installation, but it's possible I got something backwards.  Maybe the thrust washers?

Any ideas?  I'm going to check the clutch arm position to the case marks tonight after work, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Clutch issue...
Reply #1 - 05/07/13 at 07:22:47

IF you screwed up the washers in back of the basket, you couldn't put the little pin back in place correctly.

IF you didn't put the little pin back in place, you run a strong risk of disconnecting the oil pump drive gear and killing your engine due to lack of lube oil pressure.

Do you remember seating the little horizontal steel pin in the stack of washers behind the clutch basket?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/07/13 at 09:27:46

It is SO easy to put that gear on bakkerds,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #3 - 05/07/13 at 12:28:39

Smokestack wrote on 05/07/13 at 03:11:34:
Hey all.  So I finished my top end rebuild (new cam chain and guides, big jug, camshaft) and am really pleased with the way she runs with one exception.  The Clutch is acting....weird.  The shift lever doesn't return properly after shifting up (down is fine), and I have to tap it back into place before the next gear.  Also, after it heats up, I seem to be getting a false neutral light; as in the neutral light on the dash is green, but its still in gear when I release the clutch and so she jumps and stalls.  It is also a lot harder to get that neutral light (and into neutral period) on shut down than before.  It hasn't slipped while running in any discernable way, so I'm stumped.

When I removed the clutch basket to install the cam chain and guides, I ran a bit of wire through the center of the assembly so I wouldn't mix anything up on re-installation, but it's possible I got something backwards.  Maybe the thrust washers?

Any ideas?  I'm going to check the clutch arm position to the case marks tonight after work, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

What size piston did you use?
What stage cam shaft?
How many miles on new motor?

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #4 - 05/07/13 at 17:02:44

Oldfeller; I'm pretty sure I seated the pin, but since I'm going to pop the cover anyway, I'll double check.

JOG; I'll double check that gear too...

Paul; It's a 96mm with stage 3.  It was the first drive home, so less than 15km on the motor.

Also, looking at the Clymers, what about the external shifter linkage springs?  I'm thinking of the ones under that little case just below the drive sprocket.  The shifter return spring being bent or broken on the upshift side would account for the loss of return while shifting, but I have no idea about the neutral issue.  Should I look there?

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 18:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch issue...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.