Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about body molding tape. (Read 240 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Question about body molding tape.
05/04/13 at 08:59:14

The rubber (?) knee pads on my tank won't stay adhered to the tank because of the contour of the tank. The tape sticks to the tank just fine but the rubber (?) pulls away from the tape as it wants to straighten out.
I thoroughly cleaned the rubber with acetone before applying the tape, and even scuffed up the rubber a bit.
I was thinking that if I put the tape on the pads and clamped them together for a while until the adhesive cures it might work. There is also n "adhesive actuator" solution that the body shops use that I can't find in any auto supply stores.
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Question about body molding tape.
Reply #1 - 05/04/13 at 09:22:27

I used contact cement on mine... Wink...
Apply, and wait for it to get really tacky... then stick'em together...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/04/13 at 11:40:34

How about warming he rubber pads up a bit before you mount them too, might help them from wanting to spring back prematurely.  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #3 - 05/04/13 at 17:00:30

Hi Arteacher, where are your knee pads from? I'm considering buying those from wwag.com in Germany, as it looks like they are the only without some sort of brit iron logo. Good luck!

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/04/13 at 17:10:47

Lots of universal pads...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=tank+pads&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2...

I made mine from rubber floor runner... Grin...

IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #5 - 05/05/13 at 06:05:20

Most of the pads on ebay aren't generic or universal but, curiously, the one on top of that linked page was, and it was exactly the same the German web store offers, having a nice shape that echoes our tank's contour. The price was ok but not the cost of intl. shipping. Luckily, the seller mentioned the brand so I was able to get them elsewhere. My bike will get its knee pad soon (something every real big single needs, right?). Thanks, I owe you that one. And a motorcycle wouldn't be happy with a floor runner pad, you're kidding.

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 05/05/13 at 06:43:45

Scotch Super Weatherstrip Adhesive.  Sticks anything to anything permanently, takes a while to cure, and stays flexible.  Just be sure you only put it where it belongs, cuz getting it off is a bee-atch.

Walmart and Amazon and most auto parts places have it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 05/05/13 at 08:08:20

Roberto1444 wrote on 05/04/13 at 17:00:30:
Hi Arteacher, where are your knee pads from? I'm considering buying those from wwag.com in Germany, as it looks like they are the only without some sort of brit iron logo. Good luck!

Got them from J&P. They are the same as the German ones.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/05/13 at 08:53:58

I think Id go at it in stages.
First, Id get them HOT, really, really Hot so that leather glove with cotton gloves inside are required to work with them. Look at the curves they have to make & physically force them into those directions, only go past it some, so when they cool & the pressure is off, theyll be closer to the shape you want. YOull be holding them.
Remember, it is possible to ask the impossible of things. If theyre thick & if youre asking them to bend in more than 1 direction, youre asking for the perimeter to change,, so, be prepared for a hassle &/or a disappointment.
HF has a heat gun for under $15.00. I put off buying one for years. Finally, window tinting forced my hand. Now, Ive used it a bunch.. shoulda got it yearzago.,.

Remember the Ford pickups from the 80's? Those moldings down the side were all held on by 2 sided tape. Mine is an 87 & still holding.
Body shops have some fine adhesives, even better now that when I was a body man. YOu mite be ahead to just pay a visit to a body shop or 3..
What a fine reason for a ride!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JD
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/05/13 at 09:39:09

arteacher wrote on 05/04/13 at 08:59:14:
The rubber (?) knee pads on my tank won't stay adhered to the tank because of the contour of the tank. The tape sticks to the tank just fine but the rubber (?) pulls away from the tape as it wants to straighten out.
I thoroughly cleaned the rubber with acetone before applying the tape, and even scuffed up the rubber a bit.
I was thinking that if I put the tape on the pads and clamped them together for a while until the adhesive cures it might work. There is also n "adhesive actuator" solution that the body shops use that I can't find in any auto supply stores.
Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dont use acetone. If you do, leave them out in the sun for a little while so all of the acetone evaporates. I recommend using alchohol.
Take a hairdryer and blow hot air on the rubber for around five minutes and get them nice and warm.
Also you can use 3m auto tape. Works great.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/05/13 at 10:03:43

Roberto1444 wrote on 05/05/13 at 06:05:20:
And a motorcycle wouldn't be happy with a floor runner pad, you're kidding.

Not kidding... I did both the knee pads and the center stripe with Ace Hardware running floor mat... $1.99 per ft... (stole the idea from Vintage MX'rs... they use it on their Euro bikes, Maico, Jawa, CZ, etc.)...

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 05/05/13 at 19:36:18

Why not just put some knee pads on your legs with elastic straps...easily transferable.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/06/13 at 05:56:51

In addition to the Weatherstrip adhesive (Gorilla Snot) that was mentioned earlier, there is contact cement that works similarly but is available as a spray or brush on.  I tried the two sided tape on a rubber pad I put on my floor jack, and it did not stick to the rubber well and the pad slid and moved under pressure.  The contact cement did fine.

One problem you may have is with the black rubber getting hot in the direct sunshine, and the glue loosening.  Heat is always a good way to soften adhesives, and the sun cany really heat up black rubber.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/06/13 at 10:12:25

If you got your 2 sided tape at Lowes, odds are its not even close to the stuff that holds moldings on cars. Ive removed moldings that were held so well that the 2 or 3 runs of tape under it required me to pull as hard as I could & it still required a razor blade. Im talking about having a foot long piece loose & pulling to get the last coupla feet off, like on a bedside. Some of that stuff was Tough.. Imagine, keeping moldings on a truck for over 25 years & still holding? Through all the weather & car washes,, daaaang,, serious binniss!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 05/06/13 at 10:24:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/06/13 at 10:12:25:
If you got your 2 sided tape at Lowes, odds are its not even close to the stuff that holds moldings on cars. Ive removed moldings that were held so well that the 2 or 3 runs of tape under it required me to pull as hard as I could & it still required a razor blade. Im talking about having a foot long piece loose & pulling to get the last coupla feet off, like on a bedside. Some of that stuff was Tough.. Imagine, keeping moldings on a truck for over 25 years & still holding? Through all the weather & car washes,, daaaang,, serious binniss!

Good point.  Did he (OP) use that white stuff from Lowe's.....or the brownish colored stuff from the Auto Supply?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about body molding tape.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.