Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with cranking a 2000 Savage (Read 93 times)
Chris Nall
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help with cranking a 2000 Savage
05/03/13 at 12:22:24

Bike cranked fine this morning. Trailored it down 200 miles to Panama City and now it doesnt want to crank . Whats the proper steps when starting these bikes. Pulled the chock and gave a turn of gas then tried to fire it up. Just keeps churning . Any ideas . We stopped cranking cause I didnt wanna risk burning up the starter. Thanks everyone

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Re: Help with cranking a 2000 Savage
Reply #1 - 05/03/13 at 12:56:50

Check the obvious first:
got plenty gas?  

Try turning petcock to PRI in case it's not getting enough vacuum for some reason.

(It won't even turn over if in gear/ks down will it?)  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Chris Nall
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/03/13 at 13:02:28

Yes tried cranking in prime.  Should I leave choke out ? Twist the gas a little when cranking ? Cant figure out what could be wrong excelt maybe a weak battery . Anyway to check easily? Thanks

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/03/13 at 14:14:09

Kill switch to run possition, petcock turned to on, choke out, ignition key to on, bike in nuetral, clutch pulled in then hit starter button.  That's pretty much the basic starting procedure. Anything happen with the bike loading or unloading it?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Chris Nall
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/03/13 at 14:35:23

No we hit some heavy bumps coming down . Didnt know if it somehow flooded it . Put a battery charger on hoping maybe battery is weak.If its flooded is there an easy way ti clear out the bowl from being flooded

IP Logged
Chris Nall
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/03/13 at 15:50:55

Pulled the plug which had a dp7ea-9 spark plug instead of dp8ea-9.  Could this cause an issue

IP Logged
Chris Nall
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/03/13 at 18:59:00

New CORRECT spark pkug and she fired right up . Thanks for the help

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 05/03/13 at 21:43:34

Glad you got it started.

I'm guessin' that you may have wet-fouled the plug by twisting the grip with the enrichener engaged.

In general, on these bikes, when starting it's best to leave the throttle closed when the enrichener is being used.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Chris Nall
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/03/13 at 21:47:25

Enrichener meaning the pull out choke ? I noticed it has 2 positions . Should you pull partially out or all the way when cranking and then also riding ?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 05/03/13 at 21:56:08

Yep, our carbs really don't have chokes, they have fuel enrichener circuits.  Pulling out the "choke" knob opens an additional path for fuel to flow through.  The supply of air is not "choked" (restricted) by pulling out said knob.

When mine (see signature) is cold, pulling said knob out halfway will give me a good start.  If the bike's been sitting for more than two weeks or so and it's cold out, I may need to pull said knob all the way out to get a good start.

On mine, after the engine's been running for about a minute or so, I can generally push the knob in all the way.  Then, I like to hold the throttle open just a bit to keep the oil flowing (avoiding a low rpm idle) while the engine is getting warm enough to ride.  After about two minutes of this, I start riding, being gentle for about the first mile or so.

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #10 - 05/04/13 at 06:03:29

I do everything outlined in reply #3 as well as usually having the kick stand up.  However I usually have to add a slight twist of the throttle that I slowly take out to get it to start.  Would this indicate a problem with not being tuned right?

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 03:27:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with cranking a 2000 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.