Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About the decompression...... (Read 85 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
About the decompression......
05/03/13 at 20:33:12

Does it work only at start up, or is it active all the time? I ask this because I seem to hear a whine upon hard deceleration on my bike and I was wondering if that is where the noise generates. It has done this since day one, and does not seem to effect anything to my knowledge....

Thanks.  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: About the decompression......
Reply #1 - 05/03/13 at 20:48:07

if it were active all the time it wouldn't start.

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 05/03/13 at 20:54:18

Ok, maybe I didn't phrase that correctly......but does it engage "again" to release excess head pressure too?

Option B:  Why do these/my bike whine upon deceleration?  That ain't tranny noise is it?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/03/13 at 21:07:51

it's only active for a half second after you push the button.

obviously, it doesn't want to slow down.   Grin

define whine.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/03/13 at 22:57:06

Ray,.. what you're hearing is almost certainly the belt...
...(that puppy can whine on decel like nobody's business)...
Try a little talc, or lube on the belt,... see if the sound changes...
(I tend to sand my belt,... every year or so, to cut the glaze, it builds up on the edges...)...

The decomp only hits when you push the starter button...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 05/04/13 at 04:38:21

What kind of lube is safe to use on the belt? I'd like to quiet it down, too, particularly the chirping that occurs if it's gotten a little wet.

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/04/13 at 07:53:45

David,.. I've tried a lot of things, and never hurt the belt... it's pretty much plastic...
The best thing I've used is just rubbing a candle along the edges...
Roughing the edges with a coarse sandpaper works better... (don't worry, you'll never be able to damage it with sandpapering the edges)...
Ultimately,.. I used an angle grinder to slant the edges into a very mild V angle... that quieted it real good... I've got 25k on the belt since then, and it's just fine...

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #7 - 05/04/13 at 08:05:36

Thanks! I'll try the candle trick first. Would there be a noise-reduction benefit to spraying the belt's teeth with some kind of lubricant, such as silicone, or is the noise mostly from the edges?

- David
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 05/04/13 at 08:24:58

DavidOfMA wrote on 05/04/13 at 04:38:21:
What kind of lube is safe to use on the belt? I'd like to quiet it down, too, particularly the chirping that occurs if it's gotten a little wet.

I use (believe it or not) mustache wax. Lasts for a year.
I made some up (60% bees wax and 40% Vaseline) but I made enough to wax a mustache for a couple of lifetimes, so I tried it on the belt and was pleasantly surprised.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 05/04/13 at 08:33:40

"Describe the whine" verslagen1 ask.

I will try good sir with my limited ability to relay keeping fact from fiction.....

I guess it would be akin to that certain whine you use to get when an "off topic" post was attached by me to the RSD board by "OM" (old motor)  Grin

About the noise now, honestly  Tongue

Its not overly loud or obnoxious, or does it have a tone of damage being done....whatever that is?????

It has always been with the bike since day one, zero miles....
I noticed to my tires make a different noise when cornering too, as opposed to riding straight over the tread, but I think that is more of a road bed issue.

Maybe I will try and record the noise with my iphone movie setting, that might work. And this warm weather is holding, so you all will get a wonderful chance to see me riding in my savage speedo as well!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 05/04/13 at 08:46:15

DavidOfMA wrote on 05/04/13 at 08:05:36:
Thanks! I'll try the candle trick first. Would there be a noise-reduction benefit to spraying the belt's teeth with some kind of lubricant, such as silicone, or is the noise mostly from the edges?

You can always try it...

I tried some Silicone spray once,... and it started making an insanely loud, chewing gum smacking sound... Grin... (I was glad to see that stuff wear off)...
Anything that you apply, will wear off...

That's why sanding works best... Try to roughen the glaze on the belt edges... (I think the sound is mostly hard surface, squeaking against another hard surface)...

PS... if you get a sound that is worse... sprinkle some fine sand on the belt surface, and take a little ride.. the sand will scrub the stuff off,... and slightly roughen the belt, helping it to quiet down... (not a huge pile,... just a fine sprinkling)...(the belt is very tough... it can take it)...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:26:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › About the decompression......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.