Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Fork Tube Fender Hole (Read 195 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Front Fork Tube Fender Hole
05/02/13 at 07:19:31

When I got my 98 Savage, a lot of the bolts had rust, so I replaced them all.  However, one of the front fender screws broke off in the bolt hole and I couldn't get it out.  One of my friends came over and tried to tap it out but his 1st drill bit broke.  So, he tried another one and almost got it but the drill bit broke off in the bolt hole!  Great!  So, I just dremmel it flush with the tube and used some Lock Tite on the 3-screws holding the fender and even though it moves a little bit..it doesn't come it contact with the front wheel.  However, when I was riding it last night, I heard the front fender moving (it was moving from side to side a bit) because the one screw holding in the fender actualyl came loose!  So, I pulled over and tighten it up.

I know that's a LONG story..sorry all!  Smiley  So, I just need a right front fork tube, since it for some reason that screw comes loose or out or worse yet, breaks off while I am riding...I'm dead!  

Would any year of the LS650 front tube work?  I see a bunch on eBay for them but want to make sure.  Or if someone knows a way to get that drill bit out, I'll try it!  Smiley

I've attached a photo of the bolt holes...this isn't mine but one I saw on eBay but one of those holes has a drill bit it in.  The one that plugged with the drill bit it the back one too.

042.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front Fork Tube Fender Hole
Reply #1 - 05/02/13 at 07:38:38

I think the only difference between the years is the fork deflector they added in later years.

WWW   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/02/13 at 08:12:27

Since it's off the bike bring it to a machine shop they will get the other bolt out, and with both bolts holding the fender again you won't get the vibration that was loosening the single one before  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #3 - 05/02/13 at 08:14:30

i broke a bolt off in one of mine too. I dremeled a slot into it and got it out with a flat head screw driver. in order for me to cut the slot deep enough the dremel cut into the bolt hole too on either side of the bolt. not a big deal, only cosmetic, but it is cheaper and easier that replacing a fork.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/02/13 at 09:11:33

where in ohio are you? i might have one

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #5 - 05/02/13 at 10:15:49

Live in Dayton, ohio thumper

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #6 - 05/02/13 at 10:18:15

I think we tried that when the drill bit first broke into the bolt hole groupus.   I didn't go too deep though but I could dry it again, if needed.

IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/03/13 at 02:50:17

i work in trotwood so i am up this way everyday. which one do you need and i can see what kind of shape it is in to see if its worth your time or not. maybe meet up somewhere and i could hook you up with it

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/03/13 at 04:59:56

I once broke off an easy out in a 6mm bolt that was stuck in an aluminim mower block.  I thought I was screwed.......but I got the chainsaw sharpening stones for a Dremel and slowly went to work grinding out the easy out.  It took some time, but eventually I got it ground out.  The good news was that there was just a few exposed threads at the top.  I then put a 6mm bolt in my lathe and drilled the center out.  I then could put that threaded bolt into the hole, and it kept me centered when drilling by hand on the stuck bolt.

If you have any exposed threads - I would be happy to drill a bolt for you to use that would help keep you centered while drillnig.  Just let me know how big you want the center hole.  I might also be able to make a piece that bolted into the other hole.....and had a proper spaced hole for you to drill on the other hole......not sure how precise that hole spacing is from the factory.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #9 - 05/03/13 at 11:23:57

Sent you a PM, ohio thumper.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #10 - 05/16/13 at 11:32:36

ohio thumper wrote on 05/03/13 at 02:50:17:
i work in trotwood so i am up this way everyday. which one do you need and i can see what kind of shape it is in to see if its worth your time or not. maybe meet up somewhere and i could hook you up with it

ohio_thumper...did you get my PMs?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/16/13 at 11:37:35

Id haul that thing to a machine shop & just ask what kinda $$$ theyd need. The best choice would be a machine shop with a bike parked out front,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 05/17/13 at 19:06:30

Beagle, you got plenty of good advice on fixing the problem, so here is my advice. Do not ride with a loose front fender! It sounds like you did the right thing, but it scares me to think of a front wheel locked up at anything over 2 mph.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #13 - 05/18/13 at 10:25:13

Boofer wrote on 05/17/13 at 19:06:30:
Beagle, you got plenty of good advice on fixing the problem, so here is my advice. Do not ride with a loose front fender! It sounds like you did the right thing, but it scares me to think of a front wheel locked up at anything over 2 mph.  Smiley

No Boofer, I haven't been riding at all.  If I don't hear back from the guy on here by Monday about the forks, I'll just find some on eBay and order them.  I put safety first!  Not worth risking my life and I appreciate all the suggestions and concern.  Smiley  As I have always said, everyone here is GREAT!

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #14 - 05/18/13 at 18:02:17

If you decide to buy some, I have some decent ones for sale on the marketplace.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1368736510

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 22:43:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Fork Tube Fender Hole

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.