Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to remove the carb from bike? (Read 159 times)
df0518
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles
How to remove the carb from bike?
05/01/13 at 13:41:07

Hi Guys, I am going to do the white spacer mod and re-jet this weekend because I just put a Dyna muffler on the bike. I can find plenty of instructions on how to pull apart and work on the carb, but I can’t find any that give the best procedure to remove and replace the carb from the bike. So here are my questions.

1.To remove the carb, do I just loosen the intake pipe clamp but leave the intake pipe attached to the head. Or is it better to unscrew and remove the intake pipe with the carb?
2. Again for the other side of the carb, do I just loosen the clamp around the airbox outlet tube and remove the carb, or is it best to remove the entire outlet tube with the carb. I am thinking it probably doesn’t matter, but which is the easiest to do?
3. If my stock petcock is working correctly can I leave gas in the tank or do I need to drain it when I remove the fuel supply line and the vacuum line from the carb? Or do I actually need to remove the tank to get the carb off.
4. Also once I finish the spacer mod, if I want to re-jet again in the future, can I do that while the carb is still on the bike, by just removing the float bowl from the bottom of the carb?

Because so many users here have changed their jets multiple times there must be a consensus on the steps needed to get the carb off.  Thanks

2008 S40, Stock except for Dyna Muffler. Bought in 2012 with 6 miles on it.
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: How to remove the carb from bike?
Reply #1 - 05/01/13 at 13:49:56

I can take the top off the carb with out removing it from the bike. I have done it three times. You have to remove the seat, fuel tank and compression release solenoid control and  there is the top if the carb.

I drain the tank and remove the petcock to remove the tank.

And you can get to the pilot and main jet with just removing the float bowl.

I have not removed the carb from this particular bike but there are others who can tell you how.

Or this may help.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 05/01/13 at 14:08:04

Loosen band clamps, rotate carb for easier screw access. Replace funky cheesy chintzy little factory screws with stainless steel allen head screws. No need to remove the carb unless it needs to be dipped or have the internal passages pressure flushed with aerosol carb cleaner.

Have to rejet mine again, pulled the header pipe today and the inside looks like it is full of coal dust. Time to dial it back a couple notches... the choke being unnecessary, and the rather diesel looking smoke were a pretty good tip off as well...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/01/13 at 19:26:50

If you didnt see it, the other day some guy snapped one of the screw lands right off his carb.
If those screws have never been out, I suggest you get it on a bench, in a vise & have an impact tool. Those screws arent #2 Philips. A #2 Philips head that has been ground flat on the tip Will fit. A # 2, not ground down, WILL screw up your screws.
If youre gonna get horsey with a screw, make sure the tab the screw is in is supported from the back side or risk snapping it off. You can smack it, with a small, light hammer, just a few quick, light taps, holding the impact driver tight , TRYING to back the screw out, so the hammer strike causes a twist immediately. YOu should get away with that. Penetrating oil & a few minutes of waiting is a cheap approach. Patience
beats heck out of fixing something,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #4 - 05/02/13 at 07:22:23

DF0518,

One very important thing (extremely) is to replace the screws with stainless steel or galvanized screws (ACE hardware store has them). The original screws are very crappy and tend to get damage very easy.

There are 2 ways to get to the sleeve to replace the spacers: one is like WD suggested from the top, after removing the tank etc, etc. The other way is by taken the carb out (my preferred method). Either way works. Very important to replace those cheesy factory screws, you will thank us later. You do not have to drain the tank to remove it.

And yes, you can re-jet with the carb on the bike. But like I mentioned above I prefer taken it out completely but, it is your choice.

Suggestion: once there, since you already put a Dyna and are going to re-jet  you should also consider removing the plug on the idle mixture screw. There is a lot of info in the forum on how to do that also. See link below.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822/0#0

The other suggestion is change the factory Petcock for a Raptor

Btw, welcome to the forum  Smiley

IP Logged
df0518
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - 05/02/13 at 09:48:55

Thanks for the responses, I will give it a go this weekend, Do you suggest I replace both the external screws on the carb casing, as well as the 2 internal screws that hold the needle in?

I definitely need to re-jet, I took it for a quick test ride last night with the new muffler, no backfiring but there was a lot of cracking when coming to a stop and I also noticed a blue flame out the back of the muffler.

2008 S40, Stock except for Dyna Muffler. Bought in 2012 with 6 miles on it.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #6 - 05/02/13 at 15:12:41

You don't have to but I did replaced mine (the top ones). The original screws are also cheap metal

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:28:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How to remove the carb from bike?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.